Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Puram
United States
Cary
NC
flag msg tools
I hate my stupid username.
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be just missing something, but I don't see any mark or obvious way to distinguish expansion tiles from base tiles. Most games tend to put some sort of special marking or difference on expansion tiles so that they can be easily sorted, added or removed from the game.

Since it seems like it's often required to mix specific numbers of expansion tiles into the base game depending on player count and epxansions used this would be extremely useful. Am I just not seeing the cues or do I need to refer to the manuals to sort tiles each time?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, there are no special markings for player count or expansions.
We chose that because we figured people would usually be mixing and matching, and there are only a few buildings that really shouldn't be used with 2 players.
There is a reference inside the back cover of the base game, but no reference for the expansion. I'll put together a ref sheet that breaks everything out and upload it to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:
Unfortunately, there are no special markings for player count or expansions.
We chose that because we figured people would usually be mixing and matching, and there are only a few buildings that really shouldn't be used with 2 players.
There is a reference inside the back cover of the base game, but no reference for the expansion. I'll put together a ref sheet that breaks everything out and upload it to BGG.

Thanks Nat!

I assume this summary will also include call outs or a separate list of those that you say shouldn't use with 2 players or is that covered in the base and/or expansion rules?

I'd look at my copy, but it has been 15 minutes from my house in Grove City, OH since Tuesday and not scheduled for delivery until tomorrow. cry

Fedex Slowpost strikes again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll probably be the size of a single card, split into base and expansion, and grouped by 2p, 3-4p that you can swap in 2p, and a 3-4 only.

We tried to err on the side of flexibility, rather than setting a boundary and telling people they can break it. In retrospect, it might have been helpful to include a tiny symbol, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Building Setup Reference Card v1

There we go.
This should make things a bit clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Bell
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Even if you know what tiles you want (thanks to the guide), it can be difficult to find the ones you want. There are roughly 50 tiles to dig through. This threatens to push this game into the realm where the tedium of setup and take-down puts a damper on the fun.

I think some color coding on the backgrounds would go a long way towards helping keep the tiles organized, even if you only changed the backgrounds on the unbuilt sides.

I never mark-up my games, but I made an exception in this case. I made stacks of similar tiles and marked the edges with a felt pen. I marked the base game tiles with a fat black pen with lines on the sides.
Victory tiles - 1 line
2-player tiles - 2 lines
3/4-player tiles - 3 lines

I marked the expansion tiles on the top and bottom (because some tiles have tape on the sides to hold the corrections)
5-player tiles - fat pink line
Ship's log tiles - black lines on opposite corners

I marked the Town expansion the same as the base game, but with thin black lines widely spaced on the top and bottom.

I haven't played the game yet, but I think these changes will simplify the setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read through the rules yet, but will marking the edges of tiles affect gameplay? like marked cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all. It's never hidden information, and the information is on both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mabell_yah wrote:
Even if you know what tiles you want (thanks to the guide), it can be difficult to find the ones you want. There are roughly 50 tiles to dig through. This threatens to push this game into the realm where the tedium of setup and take-down puts a damper on the fun.

I think some color coding on the backgrounds would go a long way towards helping keep the tiles organized, even if you only changed the backgrounds on the unbuilt sides.

I never mark-up my games, but I made an exception in this case. I made stacks of similar tiles and marked the edges with a felt pen. I marked the base game tiles with a fat black pen with lines on the sides.
Victory tiles - 1 line
2-player tiles - 2 lines
3/4-player tiles - 3 lines

I marked the expansion tiles on the top and bottom (because some tiles have tape on the sides to hold the corrections)
5-player tiles - fat pink line
Ship's log tiles - black lines on opposite corners

I marked the Town expansion the same as the base game, but with thin black lines widely spaced on the top and bottom.

I haven't played the game yet, but I think these changes will simplify the setup.

would you mind posting a photo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I use the 3" x 5" zip-lock poly bags you can buy at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. You can either make labels to slip inside the bag, or buy bags that have a white write-on area.

Anyway, I put the "standard" 2-player tiles into one bag and labeled it as "2+ Players".

Then for the tiles that are for 3+ Players, but also optional for 2, I put them in a bag labeled,
"Add for 3+ Players
Optional for 2
"

Then for another bag, I labeled, "Add for 3+ Players Only", and put the "3+ only" tiles in there.

Of course the understanding is that after you dump the appropriate bags onto the table, you choose 16 and put the rest aside.

Then for the Victory Tiles, I put them all into one bag, labeled, "Victory Tiles (Choose 4)"

So the above storage method alleviates any concerns of a fiddly or lengthy setup. But how do you make it easy to put them all back into the correct bag during cleanup?

Well as mentioned above, you mark the tiles to match each bag. I like the idea presented above of marking the edges, and I've done that with other tile games before. But sometimes the marked edges become an eyesore during play, so I discretely put a symbol in one of the lower corners of the back side of each tile. Each bag also has the matching symbol. Easy.

As you can tell, I buy my games to play without worrying about selling them later. Though I also want them to look nice so there is an art to discrete markings!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.