Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvain Lacroix
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey fellow runners,

I've been playing Shadowrun Crossfire a LOT (over 40 games), always in SOLO mode with two runners. Even if the difficulty is off-the-chart, I always love going back to the streets and try my luck one more time.

Lately (and actually late to the party) I've stumbled across XenoShyft: Onslaught and it catched my attention.

I have the feeling that it might scratch the same itch as Shadowrun (albeit being two completely different games), but wanted to get your opinion.

Note. I've just downloaded the application, played the tutorial, and it's BRUTAL. I wonder how it plays IRL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Check out the game page for Xenoshyft and read through some of the posts over there if you haven't already. More so than most games, and especially more than SR, it seems you can "game the game" to make it easier. If you pick a specific set of equipment and run the game in a specific way (w/ a little luck since the opponents should still be random) it's a pretty easy game. If you randomize the equipment tho it seems to add to the "puzzly" nature of it. There are some other ways to increase/decrease the difficulty, but check out the forum over there.

Specifically to your point though, it'll probably scratch some of the same itches. Instead of playing in the cyberpunk realm your recreating Starship Troopers but essentially they are both puzzle card games. I have both, enjoy both and don't see getting rid of either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xenoshyft has 1 big problem Imho, the retail game just has limited replay ability. The components in it aren't really great (incredibly thin boards).
It misses some of the Kickstarter exclusives (hero's especially).

After 10 plays the retail box was done for use, XenoShyft: Onslaught – Hive Expansion might add some plays after that but not enough I think.

Just my opinion off course but for me it fell flat very fast.

To compare we played Shadowrun 40 times before we bought High Caliber Ops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Lacroix
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL, funny that you say that. I played my 40th game of Shadowrun and just ordered High-Caliber Ops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also own both games. In general, I like Shadowrun a LOT more (40ish plays to about 5 for X:O). Xenoshyft is fine, it's just not nearly as good as Shadowrun. I play a lot solo as well and a big strike against X:O for me is the set up and breakdown time. There are a lot of cards that go in very specific, little piles. It really is a bit of a hassle. I don't mind it when I play with others, but a little too much effort for solo, if you ask me. S:C is a much easier solo experience, plus the "legacy" aspect of it just keeps me coming back for more. I also have the Xenoshyft app, and I break that out whenever I feel the need to play. Unless you are going to play with others, which is where the game really shines, save yourself some money and stick to the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both. I also would use the Xenoshyft app over the card game for solo play, but the actual game is useful for multiplayer games.

And I would not buy the retail version of Xenoshyft either. The KS version is just so much more interesting. Dreadmire (coming out later this year, supposedly) might be better in that regard.

I would also say that Shadowrun is the better game, but they are both fun and with multiple players both are very cooperative.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
And I would not buy the retail version of Xenoshyft either. The KS version is just so much more interesting. Dreadmire (coming out later this year, supposedly) might be better in that regard.

This game is one of the new-age KS games that was destroyed by exclusive content. Just utterly annihilated by it.

Another good looking deckbuilder that got destroyed by exclusives is Apex (still a decent game by all accounts, but clearly less awesome by a million margins than its kickstarter cousin).

There are gonna be a lot of games coming out in the near future that suffer this same anorexia. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found XenoShyft: Onslaught offered very little replay value for me. With Shadowrun, there is more interaction between players and choices to make to attack obstacles facing other runners that feel more important because players don't have a lot of health. So, helping other runners will result in fewer cards in your hand for your next turn to deal with your current obstacle as well as taking some loss in health. The decision making feels more important to me in Shadowrun. With Xenoshyft, it also felt like ..Flip - Remove, Flip - Remove, Flip - Remove, Flip - The base takes Damage. The base also has a lot of Hit Points, so it's very easy to sacrifice hits early on to save better cards for later. You can't do that in Shadowrun. I also didn't like how the currency in XenoShyft was a separate card, so you'll have some hands with either more currency than troops and vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:

This game is one of the new-age KS games that was destroyed by exclusive content. Just utterly annihilated by it.

So agree with this. This is going to become a big problem I fear in the future. So many Kickstarter out there throwing around with exclusives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and love Shadowrun. I used to own Xenoshyft (KS-Edition) and sold it. To me Xenoshyft has one major problem. It really draaaaaaaags on in the later waves. Also, it is very repetitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dixon
msg tools
mb
I havent been a huge deck builder fan till SC.

I had legendary Alien & Predator but absolute pain to sort the cards after a game.

ALso got XO (retail) and its enjoyable. I'm not 'gaming the game', I'm not that kind of player.

It is a bit more to setup, I dont notice the component issue. Though I do look forward to XO which i backed on the KS.

SC though is a huge amount of fun in a small package and the 'legacy' aspect is just fantastic.

I've had the game 18months now and have played solo and two player. Just need to find a smaller box for it, as the space inside is a waste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.