Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so, um, I lost Barad-dûr last night. To an army of dwarves. Led by Pippin. I can't make this stuff up. I knew my Sauron-fu was weak, but sheesh.

Still won the game, but I think, maybe, losing Barad-dûr should be an auto win for the Free? Maybe a house rule for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chargetheguns wrote:
Led by Pippin.

That's the best part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That must me a strange game indeed for the Shadow to lose Barad-dûr while holding both of the strongholds that provide access to Mordor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Pippin part too!

turambur wrote:
That must me a strange game indeed for the Shadow to lose Barad-dûr while holding both of the strongholds that provide access to Mordor.

That is not so uncommon, if the Shadow player is not careful. Imagine the following:

FP army approaches Mordor. Shadow player recruits 1-2 units in Minas Morgul and Morannon. FP lay siege to Morannon. Shadow army marches to resuce Morannon and attacks the FP army there (from outside Mordor). FP army retreats to Gorgoroth and conquers empty Barad-Dur in their next move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chargetheguns wrote:
Ok, so, um, I lost Barad-dûr last night. To an army of dwarves. Led by Pippin.

The only time I've had a military victory with the Free People I conquered Angmar, Gundabad and Barad-dûr. But this last one was won with a gondorian army led by Aragorn and Boromir. I felt very powerful, but your story leaves mine crawling in the mud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turambur wrote:

Not so strange at all, imo. While, like the OP, I'm probably not that great as the Shadow player, I often leave Barad Dur (and other strongholds) lightly protected in order to have more forces on the offensive. Barad Dur is just a few moves away from Lorien, Woodland Realm and Dale/Carrock. Sending a shadow force towards Lorien opens up the route to BD from the northern free peoples. Happened to me many-a-time. Minas Morgul and Morannon are only vulnerable each from a single direction, so easier to defend, imo.
Dohp! I'm confusing Barad Dur with Dol Guldur. I now humbly give up my Tolkien geek card. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turambur wrote:

Strange it certainly was. A siege at Morannon had failed and then been abandoned when the Witch King with a large army moved Minas Morgul -> Gorgoroth. On the final die of the game, the Witch King reconquered the Barad-dûr and Pippin went down to a blast of Black Breath. It was easily the most dramatic Free People's military adventure I've ever seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
I like the Pippin part too!

turambur wrote:

That is not so uncommon, if the Shadow player is not careful. Imagine the following:

FP army approaches Mordor. Shadow player recruits 1-2 units in Minas Morgul and Morannon. FP lay siege to Morannon. Shadow army marches to resuce Morannon and attacks the FP army there (from outside Mordor). FP army retreats to Gorgoroth and conquers empty Barad-Dur in their next move.

That is the basic scenario I came up with, I just didn't think that it would happen very often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our case Pippin's dwarves had to besiege Barad-dûr, but they rolled well and thus had a short time to re-decorate before the Witch King arrived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Murdock
United States
Euless
Texas
flag msg tools
I was his opponent and it was supposed to be Merry but I think I used the wrong figure.

The Fellowship was dead in the water due to horrible hunt rolls so it was a Hail Mary attempt to win a military victory. I had Morannon (Black Gate) besieged and left Gandalf to finish them and had Merry rush a group of dwarves to Gorgoroth. I wanted to put another stronghold under siege to stop mustering Sauron reinforced Barad-dur but it was still weaker then Minas Morgul and Merry charged. Gandalf's attempt to take Morannon failed but Merry's assault on Barad-Dur succeeded against incredible odds. I needed four hits and had two elite and one regular dwarf and Merry's stellar leadership against two elites (one Mordor and one Isengard from a card) in the tower.

When the two sieges were in place:

The useless layabout Men of Dale just sat around outside citing some nonsense about not being at war with Mordor. Idiots!

It was a moot point as Gondor was gone, Lorien was taken (Legolas and Pippin's corpses next to Galadriel's), and Rohan was falling as this happened. The Witch-King brought his victorious army back from Gondor and drove Gandalf and his dwarves back out of Mordor and then killed Merry and the lone surviving Dwarf regular.

Merry/Pippin enjoys his short reign as Lord of all Mordor while the Witch-King looks on ready to eviscerate him. Better get that barrow dagger ready:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XenoMaster wrote:
two elites (one Mordor and one Isengard from a card)

You know, I forgot the Isengard elite was a leader. Should have rolled for that and kept him instead of the troll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Murdock
United States
Euless
Texas
flag msg tools
chargetheguns wrote:
XenoMaster wrote:
two elites (one Mordor and one Isengard from a card)

You know, I forgot the Isengard elite was a leader. Should have rolled for that and kept him instead of the troll.

Am I remembering right? Was he in Barad-Dur or Morannon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He was in Barad-dûr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Murdock
United States
Euless
Texas
flag msg tools
chargetheguns wrote:
He was in Barad-dûr.

Then the last reroll might have killed the dwarf. Would that mean Merry and the Nazgul would hang out together in Barad-dur or do they die too?

And the roll is:

1d6 = (6) = 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 931172. XenoMaster
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:31 am
Jon Murdock
United States
Euless
Texas
flag msg tools
XenoMaster wrote:
chargetheguns wrote:
He was in Barad-dûr.

Then the last reroll might have killed the dwarf. Would that mean Merry and the Nazgul would hang out together in Barad-dur or do they die too?

And the roll is:

XenoMaster previously rolled 1d6 = (6) = 6

Yep, they all should have died.

Or wait...

Maybe, since he wasn't an elite on the last roll so it may have thrown things off even more. Never mind. No way to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you playing with some kind of variant? How the heck did you get dwarves (and the north) all the way down to Mordor from Erebor/Dale? That would have taken a ton of dice! You must of given up on the ring because the only way to do it is to use all of your character dice to move dwarves/northmen. Even then, it seems near impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Murdock
United States
Euless
Texas
flag msg tools
Double Dan wrote:
Were you playing with some kind of variant? How the heck did you get dwarves (and the north) all the way down to Mordor from Erebor/Dale? That would have taken a ton of dice! You must of given up on the ring because the only way to do it is to use all of your character dice to move dwarves/northmen. Even then, it seems near impossible.

I think it was around 4 moves to get down there. No variant. At first it was to threaten Dol Guldur but that was reinforced. The Fellowship was dead in the water with high corruption. When I was rushing down it was not clear whether I was going for Mordor or to liberate parts of Gondor. And yeah, I did not move the Fellowship at the time. I really wish I could have gotten the Dalesmen into Mordor but could not spare the dice to muster them to war. If I had them I might have been able to take Mordor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dwarves marching on Mordor is doable, especially if Book of Mazarbul and Dain Ironfoot are played first to turbo-charge their war effort. Through a Day and a Night can also help this scenario if a Companion has reached Erebor with the Book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
Dwarves marching on Mordor is doable, especially if Book of Mazarbul and Dain Ironfoot are played first to turbo-charge their war effort. Through a Day and a Night can also help this scenario if a Companion has reached Erebor with the Book.

That's exactly how I have done it before. I took the Book of Marzabul to Erebor with Gimli. Then after recruiting a while, started charging South with help from "Through Day and a Night." One of the most fun games I have ever played was storming Mordor with a Dwarven army and taking Barad Dur and Morannon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steva fields
United States
vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen Dwarves in Dol Amroth. Now that is a stretch. But I was playing against Magic Geek. So that kind of explains that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, I think you have to have some special cards otherwise it is around 7 characters dice to activate Dwarves. 3 dice to send them to war (so they can pass though Dale, for shortcut and extra units...another die required for Dale muster-card). Then another 6 dice to get down to the black gate and attack. That's 17 dice if no mustering of Dwarves before taking off. Certainly doable, but wow.

Sauron needs to take a lesson from the Dwarves on the "Long Planned-War".

Nice report. I like the pics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.