Istanbul» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can I retrieve an assistant and activate the tile? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Huff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During my 2-player game with my gf, we noticed that we would drop an assistant, then loop back after a turn, pick him up and then activate the tile. Various parts of the map were abused this way. Is this legal?

Bonus question: when I'm moving two spaces, do I drop two assistants, or do I just drop one where I'm ending my turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As per the rules, when you land on a tile, either drop off an assistant, or pick up one already there. Either is fine to activate the tile.

You only drop off or pick up when you stop moving. Not for each tile along the way.

Enjoy ! And get the expansion if you havent already, it makes the game so much better meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they activate either when you drop an assistant or when you pick it up on a later visit. This game is about devising efficient routes through the bazaar, and the best routes are the ones that work in both ways, so you don´t have to spend many turns per game going to the fountain or picking up assistants in places where the actions don't benefit you that much.

For example, if your circuit's first movements are collecting green and red goods it should be because on your next couple of moves you'll get to somewhwere where you can spend them, that way you're mostly empty when you backtrack picking some of your assistants and you benefit from collecting those goods again. If you just used you last assistant and have to backtrack to a warehouse with a full wagon (just to pick it up), you're wasting a turn.

The game prevents you from just doing the same small circuit all the time with the blockage from other merchants, the markets that change every time anything is sold, and because rubies get progressively more expensive/difficult to claim, so you're forced deviate from your route to get extra money or improve your wagon (and those "excursions" should be planned to waste as little movements as possible) or you begin to plan a totally different and more rewarding circuit as your wagon and mosque abilities allow you to do better stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were playing the suggested beginner game set up, what you are describing is easy to do and happens. Once you start playing other set ups or just randomly putting out the tiles, you will find that the abuse isn't as bad most of the time.

Question was already answered so I was just addressing the part where you used the word "abused"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Murr wrote:
If you were playing the suggested beginner game set up, what you are describing is easy to do and happens. Once you start playing other set ups or just randomly putting out the tiles, you will find that the abuse isn't as bad most of the time.

Question was already answered so I was just addressing the part where you used the word "abused"

The only really bad offense I saw of this was where someone played a $5 bonus card (put it caravansary), then went to the Wainwright, then went back to the Caravansary to pick up the $5, play it again, then go back to the Wainwright, etc.

But even when that happened, that player didn't win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kennyj wrote:
Murr wrote:

The only really bad offense I saw of this was where someone played a $5 bonus card (put it caravansary), then went to the Wainwright, then went back to the Caravansary to pick up the $5, play it again, then go back to the Wainwright, etc.

But even when that happened, that player didn't win.

This strategy is much more powerful in Mocha and Baksheesh, where the Caravansary gives you a coffee as well as a card, and one of the cards lets you get $8 for one coffee. Thus, if you have a coffee, you can play the card, go to the Caravansary, sell a coffee for $8, and pick up the card to be used again and the coffee to use with it. If the Caravansary is near the Wainwright, this gets you $11 and a maxed-out wheelbarrow in seven turns, leaving only one assistant behind.

I have also seen bounces between the Caravansary and Post Office with the 2x Post Office card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.