Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taed Wynnell
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In teaching this game a bunch of times, I have to say that "Trade" should be renamed as "Buy". First-timers assume that they are actually trading resources for other resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave E
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
I ran into the same issue with my group.

I wonder if in a previous version of the game there was an actual trade option, either with the bank or other players and they simplified it by making it a buy in the final version and never changed the name of the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the original version of Trade, if I remember correctly, was that you could trade coins or resources for other resources. It ended up being confusing (and not used often), so it evolved into just coins to resources, and by then we were so used to using the term Trade that we didn't realize it was confusing. I don't think it came up in playtesting, but I understand the confusion now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Huss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see the confusion. I tend to think of it in the more broad sense of the word trade, like global trade. I'm conducting trade for resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it also confused me and I re-read the rules a few times to make sure I wasn't missing something. I also found the newbies I taught were at first confused, but it was quickly abated. I do think it would be better named either: "buy," "market," "purchase," etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taed wrote:
In teaching this game a bunch of times, I have to say that "Trade" should be renamed as "Buy". First-timers assume that they are actually trading resources for other resources.

There's another thread on here somewhere with someone saying enlist should have been labeled hire or something similar. I suppose it's semantics, but I usually tell people they're buying resources with the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had difficulty with some of the people I've taught this to as well. But so far it seems to only be confusing to those who don't play tabletop games often and those who are used to games with "lots of rules/parts" don't get hung up on it. If "Trade" were to be changed to "Buy" I'd be down for it, though I'm not overly worried about it as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.