Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Holtz
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gil, please spill more beans on the planned expansions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizbanggang wrote:
Gil, please spill more beans on the planned expansions!

I am working on asymmetric player powers. Specifically, each network has a pro and a con.

I Instagrammed a couple; there's a state-run network that gets more money on Drop and Budget, but must use a rondel to choose actions. That one's been working well.

Another one that's been working well is a public television network that can spend an action to request "donations" from two other players. The donating players get Viewers for their donation. This Network can also disregard Ad icons on Shows, but when Landing an Ad, they discard the Ad card and collect $1M fewer than the printed landing bonus.

I also have a streaming network that ignores time slots, but must spend money in order to consider a show in its proper time slot for its first season. I'm still tinkering with that one.

I'm aiming for designing and testing about 10 total powers, putting 6 in a Kickstarter next year, and having the other 4 as unlockable stretch goals.

Also: I'm messing with drafting starting Shows, a little like Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar's setup, where the starting public access shows give you stuff. It'll change the distribution of generes in the Shows, so I'll have a new set of Shows. I'm still messing with it, though.

Question for you folks: if I do go with new Shows, should I set it in the modern day (considering how many shows in the base game have already been canceled), or should I set it in the 80s and 90s? I'd make this a poll, but it doesn't seem to be an option for this forum post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Swanson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to have this game...where is it available right now?

I run a after school game club and this sounds like a perfect game for high school students.

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
IngredientX wrote:
Question for you folks: if I do go with new Shows, should I set it in the modern day (considering how many shows in the base game have already been canceled), or should I set it in the 80s and 90s? I'd make this a poll, but it doesn't seem to be an option for this forum post.

The game is themed around modern times, so I'd expect to find modern shows. But maybe the starting shows could be 80s/90s. That would make thematic sense and would give a sense of the network's past.
Maybe these shows would start as their Xth season instead of first - it could still be the first season slot, but it would thematically be the ~8th season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nāt
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sound of those theme-driven player powers!

As for new shows, I preferred the archetypal satire of the actor cards more than the straight up punny spoofs of the shows (Always Dies In Everything vs. Upton Crabby). My vote would be to continue referencing in a general sense, like well-known styles or trends of shows throughout television history, rather than specific programs. I think the humor feels more timeless and recognizable that way. It'd also be easier to pick and choose fun stuff from any era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think an 80s/90s themed expansion would be pretty great -- so many possibilities for parody. Some of the audience may not get the jokes, but perhaps it will prompt them to discover the joys of Manimal, Cop Rock and She's the Sheriff (dear God, what am I saying?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SaltyHorse wrote:
The game is themed around modern times, so I'd expect to find modern shows. But maybe the starting shows could be 80s/90s. That would make thematic sense and would give a sense of the network's past.

I LOVE THIS IDEA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
IngredientX wrote:
Question for you folks: if I do go with new Shows, should I set it in the modern day (considering how many shows in the base game have already been canceled), or should I set it in the 80s and 90s?
Not only should it be set in the 80's/90's, you should make that a major selling-point. The Networks: 80's & 90's Expansion.

Unless you have some massive "big-box" style expansion in the works, then save the 80's/90's theme for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could showcase TVs transition from broadcast to cable/satellite.

For example, you could have channels that specialize in certain genres like Sports (ESPN), News (CNN), or Reality (TRU), or Science / Documentary (Discovery).

You could make their aquisitions of these genres cheaper, viewers higher, or any combo thereof based on the channel's needs. It might get fiddly, but you could make those benefits appear/change as the seasons progress from 1-5.

That said, I love the game as is. Played another 2 player last night, and hope to get my first 4 player this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Holtz
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
Or you could showcase TVs transition from broadcast to cable/satellite.

...and the shift from cable/satellite to on-demand/streaming, although it sounds like one of the asymmetric network powers will address that aspect.

I like the idea of a new "instant" Network card that is an "On-Demand App" (think HBO GO) which allows one or two of my archived shows to score their respective rerun viewers.

--Edit-- just played a solo game and realized the Reboot Network card already does something like this. Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
What would an 80's/90's theme mean exactly? Show names that parody shows from that era? I'm sure there's some good ones, but it doesn't scream selling point to me. The game feels like it could be in the 80's/90's already.

Wacky networks sound fun. Streaming would certainly feel different. Maybe collecting re-runs from other players. Or keeping reruns longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the 80s/90s idea as well. Would even love to see 70s since so many fun shoes came from that area. If people don't get the references, they'll still get the style for sure.

Also thought a children's genre would be a cool addition. I don't know how this would work, though, since the balance of show types is important. You'd have to replace a different genre so you could still make the 3 or 5 show sets...

Anyways, excited to see what you come up with!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcello Maimone
Italy
Rimini
Emilia Romagna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pawn Rider?

Minimus P.I.?

Mac Tinker?

Gaywatch?

You've got my money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooohhhh... Just had some new ideas -

2 hour TV mini series that take up two time slots, but can have regular ads and maybe stars during each hour.

Local news - new genre that never loses viewers over time, but once in a time slot, can only be moved to another time slot, never canceled.

A whole expansion dedicated to News that always starts after the regular 10 pm show. Instead of stars, you spend Reporters to gather from a market of News stories (Gil you could get really creative with this part) that go onto a smaller one hour News Board that attaches below the 10pm of the regular board. New genre bonuses here for 2 of the same story types like Crime, World, Entertainment, Lifestyle, and Government
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Zimmermann
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mb
Re:
When I first checked the TV-Shows in the base game, I loved the modern shows. I think you should consider this: Outside the US, many shows are up to date because the shows take their time to make it to other countries. E.g.: Ninja warriors just hit germany. First season was just finished this week. When I saw this card my first thought was: Cool, this game is really really up to date. I think this is a definite plus.
I´d love to broadcast some other new (or still aired) Shows like Game of Phones, The Chimps Sons, etc.

On the other hand the old ones have their very own charme. Everybody knows the A-Team, Knight Rider, Baywatch & Co. I think this would work out fine, too.

Nevertheless, I think the old shows have more potential than beeing just new showcards. There is a current trend in TV to remake the old shows. Xena, MacGyver, Baywatch, Full House and lots more. These shows might be worth its own expansion with its own mechanics.

Just mindmapping: There could be a "trend" every season, which leads to more viewers for that very genre and allows the player to remake shows from the archive which have a "remake-icon" of this genre. In addition there should be some other conditions like remakingcosts or at least one full season between canceling and remaking a show. I see the posibility of "getting the same cast" leading to bonuses. Maybe some kind of mechanic which allows two players to negotiate about buying/selling the rights of a show from their archive. Or not just comeback-shows but also comeback-actors. Just some quick thoughts.

Thats why I think you should add modern shows to the expansion your working at and keep the classics for a possible second expansion in which these classics are the core of the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Overlord
Germany
Magdeburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
Oooohhhh... Just had some new ideas -

2 hour TV mini series that take up two time slots, but can have regular ads and maybe stars during each hour.

Local news - new genre that never loses viewers over time, but once in a time slot, can only be moved to another time slot, never canceled.

A whole expansion dedicated to News that always starts after the regular 10 pm show. Instead of stars, you spend Reporters to gather from a market of News stories (Gil you could get really creative with this part) that go onto a smaller one hour News Board that attaches below the 10pm of the regular board. New genre bonuses here for 2 of the same story types like Crime, World, Entertainment, Lifestyle, and Government

+1 for news and mini series

especially news...it would be great to implement news into the game somehow. I think they are a big factor in the world of television.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With board games you can have a bit of escapism from real life. There is so much news on television (most of it bad) that I'm glad The Networks doesn't currently include it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve777 wrote:
With board games you can have a bit of escapism from real life. There is so much news on television (most of it bad) that I'm glad The Networks doesn't currently include it.

One could argue (and I would) that most of what is on TV in general is bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely put in a plug for references to some of the iconic 70's shows at some point.

I imagine that a large part of the gaming community has at least some memories of:
The Brady Bunch
Gilligan's Island
The Munsters (or Addams Family)
Happy Days
Laverne & Shirley
Good Times
All in the Family
The Jeffersons

(I'm realizing these are mostly 30 minute sit-coms -- but they need spoofing.)

Even before that are some very recognizable classics:
I Love Lucy
The Honermooners

I'm anxiously waiting to buy a copy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew DeGoey
msg tools
While I'm not quite sure how well it would work, one idea I had while demoing the game for Gil at Origins was a late night themed expansion for players who may want a longer and/or more strategic game.

The expansion would add 11PM and 12AM slots, and you could add new show types like late night talk shows, infomercials, and maybe reruns could be re-utilized in new and interesting ways. Since shows referencing the 80s and 90s was also mentioned, they could work well with this type of expansion, too.

As it stands the base game is perfectly fine, but I've brought the idea up to a few friends I've been playing the game with since the PnP version was released, and they feel the idea could be interesting if worked properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen all the shows from the base game or the On the Air expansion so it's possible this already exists.

One idea that I had (I think I may have seen it elsewhere or someone may have said it in a review video but I can't remember) is to have a knockoff-type of show that isn't as good as the original.

However, if you schedule it in the same timeslot as a show of the same genre that another player(s) already have, those players immediately lose 1 viewer and you gain 1 viewer. So if 2 other players have a scifi show at 8pm and you put the knockoff scifi at 8pm you immediately gain 2 viewers and each of those players loses 1.

I may have to use the blank On the Air show cards to create one for each genre.

Another idea would be the Cult classic that has low viewers , but in reruns it is very high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
farsidehobbes wrote:
I haven't seen all the shows from the base game or the On the Air expansion so it's possible this already exists.

One idea that I had (I think I may have seen it elsewhere or someone may have said it in a review video but I can't remember) is to have a knockoff-type of show that isn't as good as the original.

However, if you schedule it in the same timeslot as a show of the same genre that another player(s) already have, those players immediately lose 1 viewer and you gain 1 viewer. So if 2 other players have a scifi show at 8pm and you put the knockoff scifi at 8pm you immediately gain 2 viewers and each of those players loses 1.

Another idea would be the Cult classic that has low viewers , but in reruns it is very high.

I like the cult classic idea. There is already a Spinoff card, but obviously functions differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
ath3ist wrote:
farsidehobbes wrote:

I like the cult classic idea. There is already a Spinoff card, but obviously functions differently.

Can't think of it but there is a show that if you cancel it, it never moves to archives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
Can't think of it but there is a show that if you cancel it, it never moves to archives.

Yes, that's Water Bug, from OTA expansion (and is most likely to get me killed by an angry mob).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:
bop517 wrote:

Yes, that's Water Bug, from OTA expansion (and is most likely to get me killed by an angry mob).

Nah, they're too busy lamenting the art quality on another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.