Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Yeager
United States
Hagerstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So in the rules it says that you shouldn't add any provinces after the box with the building on it is opened.

That sounds like a pretty major change to the game.

Any ideas what could be in there that would make it unwise to add any more provinces at that point? I've been wracking my brain and can't think of anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pillow
United Kingdom
Worcester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's the box with the blood pact in it.
Adding a new player afterwards could unleash a demon (Obviously players playing a second campaign should be protected from the first games blood pact).

On a more serious note, it could be by that point it is unlikely a player could win the campaign due to the way the new player points work. Even after 5 games it's going to be difficult to catch up to first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hauge
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great question to speculate on. First, to detail what we know:

-I'd note that the image looks like a Greek-era temple (or perhaps another building of the same age, such as a library?) to me, rather than just a generic building.
-Adding a province entails (1) improving your ships up to the current number of games played; (2) taking one improvement for every three non-prologue games played so far, rounded down; (3)taking one advisor from the deck that is worth 1 reputation; and (4) receiving campaign glory equal to the lowest opponent, minus one for each game played so far.

So those are the hints we have to go off of. I think the biggest hint is that after that point, existing players may be able to accrue some additional type of carry-over advantage that would leave a new player too far behind. Given the blank spaces in the rule book, the ability to found colonies seems like one obvious possibility. Another possibility is the ability to conduct research and carry those cards over from one game to the next. If you buy that the image could be a library, then research certainly seems like the best guess. Personally though, my guess would be founding colonies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drewhauge wrote:
Personally though, my guess would be founding colonies.

This was going to be my speculation, but Drew beat me to it.

I'd say that colonial development is the likely reason. It's easy to give new players enough ship upgrades, province upgrades, and glory to bring them into competitive range of the other players, but once colonies start getting claimed, maintaining balance would seem to be difficult.

Hypothetical example: let's say the 4th island is highly sought after due to the built-in repair capability it has, and which other colony sites don't get (at least, not for free). Purple and blue have been fighting for control of the island, burning each other's settlements before they can take root and achieve control. Then a new player joins the game as the red faction, and picks the 4th island as his bonus colony...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope all of you come back and answer this question again after you've finished the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:
I hope all of you come back and answer this question again after you've finished the campaign.

I expect the forums for this game will be raising a very healthy crop of spoiler tags as the game gets to players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Haag
United States
Hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Unfortunately, based on my experience with the pandemic legacy forums, I may have to stop checking these forums from Gencon up to when my group finishes. People either not using proper tags or, even worse, putting spoilers right in the thread topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, once Pandemic Legacy came out, I unsubscribed from those forums. Too risky. Will do the same with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I've already unsubscribed from SeaFall and plan to break my fingers once Gen Con hits and some people have this game in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kpishnery wrote:
I've already unsubscribed from SeaFall and plan to break my fingers once Gen Con hits and some people have this game in hand.

Just take a sledgehammer to your PC. After all, you won't need it to play, but you will need your fingers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.