Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Red Dragon Inn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve K
msg tools
So here's a question for the experts out there. My girlfriend and I have been looking into Red Dragon Inn but we can't figure out the best way to go about picking it up.

Is it best to purchase the newest edition, which I believe is 5, or is it better to start at the beginning? Is it entirely preference and if so would people be willing to share theirs and why? I'm not sure of how exactly the game is set up regarding these issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each box provides a different selection of characters, with some mildly different "sub-rules".

The 5th box is an oversized box designed to store the whole game. As in, every character and expansion that's been released to date.

From my understanding, the 4th box is the only one that deviates in rules in any significant way, adding a "sea event" deck that I've not ever played with.

But other than that, I'd just suggest picking up a box you like the look of the characters in and playing that. They're all completely compatible with each-other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also: Pooky. Get Pooky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say start with 1, 2, 3 or 5, whichever one has the characters you're most interested in, and if you're OK paying the premium for the big-ass box for #5. When I had just 1 and 2, I could store both in one box, so that was nice. 1 and 2 are the most straightforward, 4 and 5 add a couple more complex characters or features. But also because of that, 1 and 2 are more 'simple' which may or may not be a good thing for you.
Each of the base boxes (1-5) is playable on their own or all mixed in.
I don't have any of the standalone characters.

Pick the one with the coolest/most interesting characters, if you love it, you'll probably love the other boxes as well. Actually, if you start with 4 or 5, getting 1 or 2 might seem to be 'dumbed down' - but I still like having them for new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the well timed post, I was just wondering this myself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
msg tools
Awesome, this answered the question beautifully. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.