$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 108.71

6,739 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
17 
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Heroes of Normandie» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Heroes of Normandie iOS Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dusty 27
Canada
Grande Prairie
flag msg tools
I just played the HoN iOS app. Its great! Touch controls make game play so intuitive and fun! I had to rebuild my custom maps but my rank and unlocks all carried over from the PC version. Rebuilding maps was quick and painless for the most part with the editor interface. It would be nice to be able to build campaigns and utilize secondary objectives but that's hardly a deal breaker. To be fair other than the touch controls there isn't much to separate it from the Steam client other than being able to play mobile. This is as was intended to allow cross platform play which is pretty neat.

In cardboard I often played a variety of new players so we generally left the cards in the box. In the digital version of the game I really like the card system. It gives you the feeling of having a large tool box of army solutions to slowly pick through and tailor your hand in match for your given situation. Also its built into the code of the game. You can't really play a card wrong or forget a bonus.

I read through the entire list of BGG comments about HoN the cardboard game and alot of people are turned off by the luck. I must say I really find it balanced well for enjoyment. Want less luck? Just prioritize some Veteran and Ammo Tokens. Hold back cards that give you an edge for the attacks you need to break through the most.

The Hollywood theme is there in spades. The sounds and visuals are everything I wanted but I can see how other might take issue with it. Vickers Machine guns sound different from MG42s. The way the tanks drive around the field and get blown up are immensely satisfying and bring out my inner green and grey armymen imagination from childhood.

The cost is substantial some 15 USD or 21 CAD. Considering the Steam PC client does cost more then iOS version there is some savings but it pushes HoN into the premium app realm with contenders like Baulders Gate and Battlelore when they first released.

Additional DLC is on the way by the looks of the preview we got in this patch. I would like to see some additional armor for the Americans to match the German preview and I would think we will see this also. Hopefully Carentan and Sainte-Mere Eglise isn't far behind to get some new building that expand what is in the core set.

Gameplay 9/10 Map Editor in Mobile! Awesome!
Graphics 9/10
Sound 10/10
Stability 8/10 Not an unreasonable amount of crashing
Price 7/10* Will likely change overtime to be more agreeable

86/100 Solid game value will increase with DLC and natural pricing pattern.

All in all if you don't have a digital version of HoN this is your best value for price and ease of play.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being able to play against the AI is a great feature for me.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I am loving it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was told that in order to play online with an opponent you both need to be online at the same time for the entire game. Is that true?

I really need asynchronous games, where opponents can log on whenever they have time and take their turn and no one needs to be online at the same time and game progress is saved even if no one is online.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
I was told that in order to play online with an opponent you both need to be online at the same time for the entire game. Is that true?

I really need asynchronous games, where opponents can log on whenever they have time and take their turn and no one needs to be online at the same time and game progress is saved even if no one is online.


Not in the pc version you don't. Assume it's the same with iOS.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
NASA Dawn approaching Ceres
mbmbmbmbmb
Played through the tutorials and it's very slick, and quite amusing. I am struggling to think of another iOS game that looks this crisp. It looks amazing on an iPad Pro.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
SirRoke wrote:
I was told that in order to play online with an opponent you both need to be online at the same time for the entire game. Is that true?

I really need asynchronous games, where opponents can log on whenever they have time and take their turn and no one needs to be online at the same time and game progress is saved even if no one is online.


Not in the pc version you don't. Assume it's the same with iOS.

I was told there was no asynchronous by someone who just purchased the iOS app and was disappointed. Seems like it does vary from the PC version, and not in a good way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
SirRoke wrote:
I was told that in order to play online with an opponent you both need to be online at the same time for the entire game. Is that true?

I really need asynchronous games, where opponents can log on whenever they have time and take their turn and no one needs to be online at the same time and game progress is saved even if no one is online.


Not in the pc version you don't. Assume it's the same with iOS.

I was told there was no asynchronous by someone who just purchased the iOS app and was disappointed. Seems like it does vary from the PC version, and not in a good way.




The app says otherwise.
6 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kevin! That's what I needed to know. The guy who told me otherwise was obviously wrong. I knew I should double check and here was the place to ask. Thanks.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
SirRoke wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
SirRoke wrote:
I was told that in order to play online with an opponent you both need to be online at the same time for the entire game. Is that true?

I really need asynchronous games, where opponents can log on whenever they have time and take their turn and no one needs to be online at the same time and game progress is saved even if no one is online.


Not in the pc version you don't. Assume it's the same with iOS.

I was told there was no asynchronous by someone who just purchased the iOS app and was disappointed. Seems like it does vary from the PC version, and not in a good way.




The app says otherwise.

That description matches the asynchronous game play that I have used with the PC version. As klkitchens pointed out, the app specifically says you do not have to be online at the same time. Whoever told you otherwise was mistaken, I think.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Xavier. Yep, he was wrong. I went ahead and bought the app after Kevin straightened it out. And then I challenged the guy who said it wasn't asynchronous to an online match!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Kiss
United Kingdom
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
I am glad you are liking the game!

I am part of the Slitherine team and I know how much this is a labour of love for the developers.

It would be great if you could help them out with reviewing the app in the App Store as well, so newcomers to the game will have a better idea about it. Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mackin
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Downloaded the game last night and played through the US Campaign (went to bed at 2.00am this morning). Fantastic implementation, and by far the best iOS game. I'll definitely be giving it a 5 star review. One thing I couldn't work out was how to utilize the machinegunner trait, the counters show the symbol but the UI doesn't seem to allow you to split the shot, did I miss something?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Kiss
United Kingdom
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
I'll double-check with the developers but if I remember correctly, you can't split machine gun fire in the digital version.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Rubrum
Canada
Trois-Rivières
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How good is the AI and does it have different levels ?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played it much, so cannot really comment on the capabilities of the AI but I can say there are several levels of hardness available. I seem to recall that it is of the various hamstringing of the player rather than the AI gets smarter - Don't quote e on that because I have not played enough to know for sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kleine Mets
msg tools
Also, is it impossible to enter vehicles in IOS? Or am I overlooking something?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some quick notes about what is not in the iOS version,

No opportunity fire.
No entry and exit of vehicles

- No artillery cards
- No air support cards

And the following cards don't exist

US
- Opportunity Fire
- Ram
- Don't stop
- Ready!
- Go Go Go!
- Relay
- Dynamic
- Hit and run

German
- Opportunity Fire
- Ram
- Don't stop
- HitlerJugend
- Booby trapped
- Relay
- Dynamic
- Hit and run
- Mine
- Schnell!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That should be in the DIGITAL version, because I don't think those are in the PC/Mac version either.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone else getting this issue?

I played through the tutorial and US campaign on Lieutenant (1st version of iPad Air). I then tried my hand at the US Rogue mission (which is awesome, btw). Beat Mission 1. Whenever I try to start mission 2, it goes to the loading screen and then, before allowing me to build my army for the mission, it crashes. Completely disappears and I'm back at desktop (or whatever it's called on iOS).

Anyone had a similar issue?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nando The Rebel
msg tools
mb
My only negative comment is that the AI is not very difficult, so the developers made the dice rolls unbalanced. In every game that I play, I have to wait until my 5th or 6th roll to hit my first unit.... so it is artificially difficult.

I only shoot when I have at least 50 percent chance to hit.

In my last scenario I needed a 2 or more to hit in three occasions and rolled 3 consecutive 1s. The a 3 or more to hit and I rolled a 2 and then a 1.

A bit annoying to be honest. Hopefully it will be fixed.

Otherwise, great fun, nice graphics, animations and scenarios.

A must for people like me that could not play the game and almost gave up on it.

Surely I will try to play the board game again now
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
Hi,

My first play through yesterday - so far perfect - no glitches.

The only issue I have is that the game position is not saved when the iPad is turned off. If I leave it "open" then it will resume when next activated.

But if you want to pause the game, and get back to work or use another app - it seems you lose that game.

Is this the case or have I missed something?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Masonstone wrote:
Hi,

My first play through yesterday - so far perfect - no glitches.

The only issue I have is that the game position is not saved when the iPad is turned off. If I leave it "open" then it will resume when next activated.

But if you want to pause the game, and get back to work :) or use another app - it seems you lose that game.

Is this the case or have I missed something?

This happened to me as well. Looks like this is a problem.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I restarted the rogue campaign. This time, no crashing

Also, the dice rolls don't feel weighted to me at all (lieutenant difficulty)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nando The Rebel
msg tools
mb
archipel wrote:
How good is the AI and does it have different levels ?



I have only played at Major, the most difficult (but also how is the real game as your opponent has no handicap) and i find it very easy.

The only problem is the damn rolls.
There was a mission with the germanas that i had to kill one of thenamerican characters, i did 4 assaults, all of them with 61 percent of victory and lost all of them.

I ended up losing the scenario and it was extremely frustated as i fell that the game is made to be artificially difficult by hurting you and not by making the AI smarter.

Anybody with the same experience?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.