Subject: An open letter to Patrick, David, Kyle and LederGames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, just wanted to say while I'm waiting for delivery here in the UK that having read the reviews and watched a couple of the videos that I'm astounded at the high quality of every aspect of Vast. The artwork is phenomenal and the rules seem to have ticked all the asymmetric boxes (and crossed the circles). I particularly like the meeples, they have real character, especially the knight and dragon. I'm suspecting my copy won't arrive before gencon, but I wish you all the best demoing and selling the game there. You've engaged the community and built something quite spectacular. I can't wait to get my hands on it, I know it'll be worth the wait! I'm very glad I choice to back Vast 11 months ago. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Somerville
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Tom, thank you. Not just for this kind note (although certainly for that), but for believing in the game and supporting it with your enthusiasm and hard-earned money during the campaign. If there's one thing I'm crucially aware of with Vast, it's that it is as much a product of the BGG and Kickstarter community as it is any level of our effort. So thank YOU for being a part of all this. I hope you feel as proud and happy as we do, since it's your victory as much as ours.

(And, to not be impolite: You're welcome. This project has truly been our pleasure all along.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been trying to learn the craft of game design for a long long time. Honestly I designed my first board game in 2000 and I have been working on it in some form since then. Five Fingered Severance was alright and I loved Trick or Treat. I can’t say I am a fast learner but I feel like I have picked up a thing or two on the way. I enjoy Vast so much I would play it right now and I have played more times than I can count anymore.

I did not want to compromise my vision in any respect. The money I received let me buy the materials I wanted to work with to deliver the product I wanted to deliver. It gave me the resources to work with Kyle Ferrin, David Somerville, Topher McCulloch, Joshua Yeardsley, Kyle Woelfel, and many other fantastic people. I am pleased to say that where there was just business relationships before, we have formed deep friendships.

I would like to thank the members of the community that not only gave us their money a portion of the effort they spend working, but also those that tested, provided feedback, and inspired me to move forward.

The money the Kickstarter generated didn’t just give me a chance to produce a wonderful game. It let me leave a failing company in a career I had become disinterested in. It let me spend precious time at home with my daughter whom will only be two once in her life. It was an amazing time to watch her. The stress and anxiety in my life has dropped so much I was able to drink beer again and I now crave spicy food. It also let me look deeply at other people’s games and learn for the first time in awhile and just craft.

You are most welcome, I hope you enjoy Vast: The Crystal Caverns and I hope you will enjoy my next endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a great reply,

It's a very exciting time for you all and I think the hard work is really beginning to pay off! I much prefer to back a Kickstarter for a developing game from a small company compared to the onslaught of pre-order campaigns that run now. I'm really pleased to have helped Vast on the road to publication, even in the smallest way. For me it's what KS is all about.

I've especially liked how you've shared revisions with BGG, I'm not aware of many game developers that have done this to such great effect. It's great to see something taking shape over time. As you've said your vision hasn't been compromised in doing so. I hope in the decades to come you'll be able to look back on Vast and realize you may have created a real genre-bending and hopefully genre-defining game.

I feel should apologize a little - I targeted your first names in my topic - I was tapping out the message on my phone, quite late last night, I appreciate that Patrick is able to thank the correct people and give credit where it's due

I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for all your future projects!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Designing it that far out in the open is the only way to go. The method did have its detractors for sure, but I survived.

Honestly for my next game I would like to record an hour footage of Kyle W. and I talking about it each week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vestal
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I was able to play and pick up a copy of the game at GenCon and meet a couple of the designer team.

Just wanted to agree that I've really enjoyed the game, look forward to playing many more times as I try out different roles and see different interactions play out, and that everyone in my play group is also eager to play and similarly impressed!

My girlfriend and I signed up with our emails and have a card with Patrick's email, and would be interested to help test additions in the DC area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.