89 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Third preview up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
thiago k
msg tools
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/28/a-haunt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey van Dorp
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks like a hidden traitor is incorporated in the game:
"That is, of course, unless one of you goes insane—your mental instability may thrust you off-course, giving you an entirely new purpose, all your own."
And 24 double sided tiles! Sweet.
Very pumped about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
jevfree wrote:
Looks like a hidden traitor is incorporated in the game:
"That is, of course, unless one of you goes insane—your mental instability may thrust you off-course, giving you an entirely new purpose, all your own."
And 24 double sided tiles! Sweet.
Very pumped about it.

Hell yes for that - the hidden traitor can be a powerful and thematic element to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You build the map as you play - according to what the app says. That means that every time you move, you must tell the app, then stop and look through 50 two sided tiles for the one(s) you need for the next incremental addition to the map. AND you will need to hand the tablet, phone, or laptop to each other to solve the puzzles.

The first edition had SO much theme. And now this. Not for me. I'm outa here. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being able to use components from the first edition is a great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InvisibleRobots wrote:
You build the map as you play - according to what the app says. That means that every time you move, you must tell the app. AND you will need to hand the tablet, phone, or laptop to each other to solve the puzzles.

The first edition had SO much theme. And now this. Not for me. I'm outa here. Enjoy.

Handing an IPad to somebody to complete a puzzle somehow has less theme then digging through the box for puzzle tiles? Huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
InvisibleRobots wrote:
You build the map as you play - according to what the app says. That means that every time you move, you must tell the app. AND you will need to hand the tablet, phone, or laptop to each other to solve the puzzles.

Handing an IPad to somebody to complete a puzzle somehow has less theme then digging through the box for puzzle tiles? Huh?

No need to dig for puzzle tiles. But you will need to dig through room tiles...when the tablet tells you to extend the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InvisibleRobots wrote:
Zaphod wrote:
InvisibleRobots wrote:

No need to dig for puzzle tiles. But you will need to dig through room tiles...when the tablet tells you to extend the map.

That's pretty common for dungeon crawlers that don't have random tiles or pre-set maps. You either dig for them at the start of the game, or dig for them as you move. I don't see what the difference is. It won't take that long if all of your tiles are organized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
InvisibleRobots wrote:
Zaphod wrote:
InvisibleRobots wrote:

Hang on, how is it more thematic to be able to see the entire map when you start, than to only be able to see rooms you've visited?

I get not liking the inconvenience (but the tiles are numbered, just stack them in order and you're sorted) but thematically it's far, far better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Sounds like it handles this like the Descent 2 app, ie you are given the numeric list of needed tiles at the start and can set them aside while setting up, so you don't have to dig for tiles during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
InvisibleRobots wrote:
Zaphod wrote:
InvisibleRobots wrote:

Hang on, how is it more thematic to be able to see the entire map when you start, than to only be able to see rooms you've visited?

I get not liking the inconvenience (but the tiles are numbered, just stack them in order and you're sorted) but thematically it's far, far better.

They've just moved the fumbling through tiles during setup to fumbling through tiles during the game. It's a non-issue for most. Sorry that it's an issue for Jim P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
This edition is screaming 'dungeon crawl' at me. I don't think it is going to make edition 1 obsolete. It seems like a very different game. I'm not surprised they are seemingly continuing to print edition 1: this seems more like a variation than a replacement.

One of the things I personally liked most about Mansions were the maps: very strong and thematic. They could credibly be a school, a cottage, a mansion, one was a garden with a secret underground area and some scattered buildings. In the expansion they had map themes like an old, abandoned hospital. This random map creation simply does not seem like it could provide the theme that the human design touch can. Diffrent possibilities are great but will these maps have any kind of chracter to them or are we just on a ramble through a sprawling and improbable house.

Take a map like 'House Lynch' from the 1st edition base. Smallish and simple but elegant, and laid out believably like a house. That adds so much to the theme and atmosphere of the game. I have a feeling this will be 'up the stairs and through the library, into the bathrom, round the hall, to the hidden laboratory via the kitchen, down to the basement, out the back door, into the front hall... etc etc'. I'm maybe being a little silly there but I think I'm putting across my point.

Tactically, 'random' omen cards cannot provide the challenge a human opponent can. Neither can random monster generation compete with a human strategy. Neither can, one assumes, automated monster behaviour. It seems more like a cool Lovecraftian dungeon crawl. I'm a long way from convinced that it has anything like the depth of play of 1st edition.

At the moment I'm seeing this more like a particularly grandiose and large expansion than a 'replacement' to the original. Interesting in its own right but not replicating the feel of the original,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
Weltenreiter wrote:
Sounds like it handles this like the Descent 2 app, ie you are given the numeric list of needed tiles at the start and can set them aside while setting up, so you don't have to dig for tiles during the game.

Maybe not.

The initial setup for the first floor its fixed and the app will hidden all other information and generate at random the other rooms.

I think if you get all tiles rooms for the setup, diminishs the "mystery" from the playthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
This edition is screaming 'dungeon crawl' at me. I don't think it is going to make edition 1 obsolete. It seems like a very different game. I'm not surprised they are seemingly continuing to print edition 1: this seems more like a variation than a replacement.

FFG has removed 1st Edition core box and big expansions from "Awaiting Reprint" to "Not Available"

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/mansions-of-m...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
tkpope wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

FFG has removed 1st Edition core box and big expansions from "Awaiting Reprint" to "Not Available"

Well, there we are. I think that's a silly move because this game could entice a lot of people to buy those games seeing as they are including the 'teaser' (if you don't own the necessary miniatures and tiles) 'expansion kit' components. Maybe they think a lot of people will buy the expensive painted miniatures to use those components with. I think a lot more would be tempted to buy 1st edition: get those miniatures and tiles to add to their 2nd edition and get the (actually pretty different) 1st edition (with competitive mode natch) as a cool bonus on top of that. That seems pretty enticing to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
As for handing the Ipad 'back and forth' and breaking theme:

Get Steam on the old laptop, download the app and hook it up to the big screen with an HDMI cord, etc. Leave that anywhere, ours ends up behind a chair. Then grab a small usb mouse and set the game table up before the tv.

That's what we have been doing with the Descent app, the only thing that gets slid around is the little puck of a mouse and EVERYONE sees what is going on.

With the puzzles I imagine much hilarity/yelling/debate will ensue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
tkpope wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

Yep, the first edition may be officially dead. They will relaunch the old monsters and investigators, but no word about the format - if expansions, packs, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
cotgrave wrote:

No idea how the rules will handle it in this version but in the original players were forbidden to help the investigator engage with the puzzle. If that rule holds then I guess everyone will have to leave the room when you play so they can't see the big screen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to thread crap, but I played once. I just didn't get how solving puzzles had anything to do with the theme, so that was it for me. Arkham Horror forever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old Man wrote:
Not to thread crap, but I played once. I just didn't get how solving puzzles had anything to do with the theme, so that was it for me. Arkham Horror forever!

You didn't see the thematic connection between investigators attempting to unravel arcane mysteries and the inclusion of a puzzle mechanic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
cotgrave wrote:

No idea how the rules will handle it in this version but in the original players were forbidden to help the investigator engage with the puzzle. If that rule holds then I guess everyone will have to leave the room when you play so they can't see the big screen

We always stuck to this rule too except we house ruled that any investigator in the same room could offer verbal assistance. I'm curious too if they will include the "no helping" rule in 2ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:

One of the things I personally liked most about Mansions were the maps: very strong and thematic. They could credibly be a school, a cottage, a mansion, one was a garden with a secret underground area and some scattered buildings. In the expansion they had map themes like an old, abandoned hospital. This random map creation simply does not seem like it could provide the theme that the human design touch can. Diffrent possibilities are great but will these maps have any kind of chracter to them or are we just on a ramble through a sprawling and improbable house.

Take a map like 'House Lynch' from the 1st edition base. Smallish and simple but elegant, and laid out believably like a house. That adds so much to the theme and atmosphere of the game. I have a feeling this will be 'up the stairs and through the library, into the bathrom, round the hall, to the hidden laboratory via the kitchen, down to the basement, out the back door, into the front hall... etc etc'. I'm maybe being a little silly there but I think I'm putting across my point.

Tactically, 'random' omen cards cannot provide the challenge a human opponent can. Neither can random monster generation compete with a human strategy. Neither can, one assumes, automated monster behaviour. It seems more like a cool Lovecraftian dungeon crawl. I'm a long way from convinced that it has anything like the depth of play of 1st edition.

At the moment I'm seeing this more like a particularly grandiose and large expansion than a 'replacement' to the original. Interesting in its own right but not replicating the feel of the original,

I have addressed the same issue in another post (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1611700/afraid-lose-narrati... ) but apparently the app is not that random. I guess we'll see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
cotgrave wrote:

Ok, you are right there.. Replace hilarity, yelling, and debate with puffed cheeks, rolling eyes, and the 'Surrender Cobra'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
High Flying Bird wrote:
cotgrave wrote:

Or just not speak like in 1st edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C F
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intriguing but it sounds awfully like a dungeon crawler or betrayal at house in the hill. I'm hoping they integrate some sort of investigative mechanics. I'm worried this is descent with a lovecraft skin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.