$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 134.2

7,835 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Phil Oates
United Kingdom
Leeds, West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Really liking the game but a couple of questions have come up:

As per the title really, but to give a specific example - my fleet does not have any initiative 1 attacks, but the rules state that all players can still use that stage as an 'opportunity to play battle action cards'. How many cards can each player play? As it's not stated it seems that it could be either 1 or as many as they want. The same applies to other stages of initiative.

A question also came up about battleships, although I think we resolved it correctly - the battleship's effect states that it carries out additional attacks on 2 separate targets, with each attack delivering 2 damage. Is the damage automatic, or are dice rolled? We played that 2 damage was automatically applied to each target, but there was some discussion.

Finally, not a rules question as such more a suggestion of a variant - it felt like the player(s) with the most fleets ought to be deploying first in the deployment phase, regardless of turn order. I wondered if this had been tested? Having the fewest fleets and deploying first felt like it was a significant disadvantage. I appreciate going first in all other stages is often an advantage so this is probably for balance, but in our game 1 player had only 1 fleet vs the others players' 3 fleets and deploying first seemed very punishing.

Cheers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone for cricket wrote:
Really liking the game but a couple of questions have come up:

As per the title really, but to give a specific example - my fleet does not have any initiative 1 attacks, but the rules state that all players can still use that stage as an 'opportunity to play battle action cards'. How many cards can each player play? As it's not stated it seems that it could be either 1 or as many as they want. The same applies to other stages of initiative.

A question also came up about battleships, although I think we resolved it correctly - the battleship's effect states that it carries out additional attacks on 2 separate targets, with each attack delivering 2 damage. Is the damage automatic, or are dice rolled? We played that 2 damage was automatically applied to each target, but there was some discussion.

Finally, not a rules question as such more a suggestion of a variant - it felt like the player(s) with the most fleets ought to be deploying first in the deployment phase, regardless of turn order. I wondered if this had been tested? Having the fewest fleets and deploying first felt like it was a significant disadvantage. I appreciate going first in all other stages is often an advantage so this is probably for balance, but in our game 1 player had only 1 fleet vs the others players' 3 fleets and deploying first seemed very punishing.

Cheers.


Hi there,

You can do as much as you want and can during any initiative stage. During stage 1, the player with lowest player order number goes first, doing as many actions as desired (playing any number of cards, use abilities of fleets and upgrades etc, attacking with ships that have initiative number 1 (can be caused by card plays or abilities during this stage)). Then the next player may do as much as desired during stage 1. Then move on to stage 2 (and this is usually when things start to happen).

'Attack' means an attack. The wording allows for example an Interceptor to intercept one of the attacks.
'Attack strength' is the red icon; how many dice you roll.
'Damage' is the actual damage markers.
So your interpretation was correct; the Battleship ability puts 2 damage each on 2 different targets. This is often used to clear out Interceptors that would otherwise block a big and important attack.

You are right that the first player disadvantage during deploy is important to balance the impact of turn order. The disadvantage of only having one fleet is also intended; we want to encourage the players to have more fleets because it means more conflict and more interesting games. A player with only one fleet usually has a very strong one that nobody wants to face, which leads to VPs and continued economic growth. We think this is good enough.

Cheers!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Oates
United Kingdom
Leeds, West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick response - can I just clarify whether ship effects that aren't stipulated as taking place after a dice roll can happen in stage 1 regardless of initiative - eg can generators use their effect in stage 1 or do they have to wait for their relevant initiative stage?

The logic for discouraging a few super fleets makes sense, however in our game last night one player was left with one weak fleet which left him out of contention for a couple of turns until he could build it up, but that's most likely down to lack of experience.

The game was enjoyed by everyone, but the random turn order was probably the aspect that caused the most discussion. I know you've given your reasons elsewhere and I think with experience players will be able to combat first player advantage to a greater extent.

Cheers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Generators specifically give their energy when they attack. Refineries also do their thing when attacking.
Any battle ability that is not time-specified can be used in any stage (still only once per round though, as usual).

Examples of things to do in stage 1:
-Excalibur can use its ion cannon to lower the opposing fleet's energy.
-The upgrade Missile Battery can damage 2 ships.
-Repair Bots can repair (or wait to a later stage when there is more to repair).
-The card Torpedo can be played to take out for example a generator.
-Use that pilot who can lower an initiative value to 1 and then attack with those ships.

Having only a single, weak fleet is not a good position to be in... But usually the other players have to concentrateon blocking each other towards the end of the game, so if you're behind there is this opportunity to come back while the others fight. You just have to somehow stay safe... how hard can it be?

The turn order is even more balanced with the expansion Fleets: Corporate Lords, which allows player 2 and 3 to place the neutral Merchants and Pirates, that alter the systems they are in.

Cheers!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Oates
United Kingdom
Leeds, West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
That all makes sense. Cheers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
Fryxen wrote:
So your interpretation was correct; the Battleship ability puts 2 damage each on 2 different targets. This is often used to clear out Interceptors that would otherwise block a big and important attack.


So I take it that abilities that trigger on attacks (Battle Ship, Generator, Refinery) always happen, even if the attack is intercepted? Can the Battleship try to destroy an interceptor with its extra attacks before using its main attack, or does the main attack have to be carried out first?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastinator1 wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
So your interpretation was correct; the Battleship ability puts 2 damage each on 2 different targets. This is often used to clear out Interceptors that would otherwise block a big and important attack.


So I take it that abilities that trigger on attacks (Battle Ship, Generator, Refinery) always happen, even if the attack is intercepted? Can the Battleship try to destroy an interceptor with its extra attacks before using its main attack, or does the main attack have to be carried out first?


Yes, triggers happen, just as intercepts can happen (which is just another kind of trigger). If the attacker declares missiles to fire before the main attack of his battleship, then those 2 are the attacks that can be intercepted at that time. After the missile attacks have been resolved, the main attack (6 dice) occurs and the opponent may use interceptors to cancel it if he still has any (they probably died from the missiles).
So, if the opponent doesn't declare missile attacks before declaring targets for the main attack, then the main attack can be intercepted, but missiles may still be fired. The interceptor only cancels the attack (die rolls and damage), not the fact that the ship attacked.

Hope this clears it up
Cheers!
/Jacob
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I S
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you play action cards even if you don't have any ships with, for example, stage 2 iniative?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronrocken wrote:
Can you play action cards even if you don't have any ships with, for example, stage 2 iniative?

Yes.

For example playing a card that reduces initiative so that ships actually do get that initiative and can act.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I S
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the answer.

I will clarify my words more:

Player 1 has ships with iniative 2 and attacks. He then ends his turn.
Player 2 has no ships with iniative 2 but has action cards. So he can play them now? Correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
Ronrocken wrote:
Thank you for the answer.

I will clarify my words more:

Player 1 has ships with iniative 2 and attacks. He then ends his turn.
Player 2 has no ships with iniative 2 but has action cards. So he can play them now? Correct?


Yes, this works.
During each initiative stage, the starting player keeps attacking with 1 ship at a time,playing an action card, or using a battle action, until he has attacked with all his ships and does not wish to proceed.
After this, the other players do the same in turn order.
This continues for each stage.

So yes, you always get a chance to play action cards, even if you have no ships with that initiative value

Sebastian
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.