Hide
2 Posts

Titanic: The Board Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A Stupidly Honest Review: #7 - Titanic: The Board Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Lein
msg tools
"IT'S ALL CHANCE, CHANCE RULES OUR LIVES. NOT A MAN ON EARTH CAN SEE A DAY AHEAD, GROPING THROUGH THE DARK. BETTER TO LIVE AT RANDOM, BEST WE CAN."
-SOPHOCLES

Starting with that incredibly deep Greek philosopher's quote, you might think that this review is going to be insightful and analytical. Wrong. I have so much nostalgia for this game that it hurts. So, obviously I like it. Dang it, I revealed my opinion too early. It doesn't matter though. About ten people visit the Titanic: The Board Game forum a year anyways.

BASIC IDEA:
Wow, Titanic: The Board Game, what a unique title. They really went for it there, huh? But it suits the game well enough. It's not like they spent hours thinking about how the game would play. It's really simple, actually. You start in second class with some money. You roll and go around the board, collecting the items necessary to get into first class. Then, in first class, it is a straight shot to the lifeboats. First in, wins. The rest of the players slowly sink to the bottom of the ocean (and all because they wouldn't allow you in first class, those snotty aristocrats).

SETUP:
Everyone chooses a color/character, each being from a different country (the red pawn is a fat French lady; the orange is a Latino man, et cetera). Everyone is given $750, the telegram cards are put in the middle, and each player gets their unique set of Gossip cards (which we always read in the accent of our characters). Roll for who goes first and begin.

GAMEPLAY:
A player rolls a dice to move around the board. In second class, the path is a loop containing multiple forks, allowing players to make decisions regarding where they land. In first class, players are only given one option as to where they go. Some spaces tell a player to go to jail or steerage, while others may prompt another player to gossip with them (essentially a Chance card) or a telegram might be turned over (another kind of Chance card). Once a player buys all of the necessary items, they are allowed into first class, where they still roll and land on good, bad, or neutral spaces. Players also acquire bellhop tokens along the way, which allow them to get out of certain tasks (going to jail or returning to second class when they are in first). When the player gets all the way to the Poop Deck, they enter a loop near the lifeboats. The player goes around and around this loop until, by exact count, they land on the lifeboat space, allowing them to win.

REVIEW:
Like I mentioned earlier, I am super biased toward liking this game. It's not a deep game by any means, and yet I really enjoy playing it. Although it is predominantly ruled by chance, it still feels like I am playing a game rather than the game playing itself. I think the game does a great job of putting down spaces that are heavy on player involvement (gambling spaces, paying other people money, et cetera). I think the key to this game is not letting it get to you. It can be pretty frustrating seeing other players almost to the lifeboats, while you are stuck in steerage with no money. That being said, the best moments I have had in this game is laughing at my own, or other's misfortune. And misfortune will happen to everyone. You just gotta take it in stride. And another thing I love about this game is the Gossip cards. Reading them in crazy accents is just a blast for everyone, especially when the cards themselves are already racist (having "Eh?" after every sentence on the Latino guy's cards). It overall is a frustrating, laugh out loud, crazy, misfortunate ride that usually ends in everyone breathing a sigh of relief that the game actually ends at some point.

RATING:
This is my rating system for all of you Titanic: The Board Game fans out there:
Bronze: 3rd rate - from bad to okay.
Silver: 2nd rate - from fair to good.
Gold: 1st rate - from great to excellent.
Diamond: A Top 10 game - one of my favorites.

Titanic: The Board Game: Silver

WHAT THE HECK, MAN? YOU WENT ON AND ON ABOUT HOW MUCH BIAS YOU HAD, AND THEN YOU ONLY GAVE IT A SILVER? WEAK SAUCE...
I don't think I could give this game any higher with a good conscience. Giving it a silver is generous, actually. Any other game reviewer with any pride would give it a bronze, no question. And like I said, it is actively frustrating to play and most people are relieved when it is over. All of that being said, I have a lot of fun in the process. And it is this fun combined with seeing the endless amount of misfortune the game deals out that allows me to enjoy it.

CONCLUSION:
Titanic: The Board Game is a frustrating, yet fun experience that will give you and your gaming group a lot of fun memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McNamara
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
In another time, forgotten space...
badge
Roll away, the dew...
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

Great review! I really enjoy playing this as well. It is not a great game by any stretch of the imagination, but there is something stupidly fun about it. We get rid of the exact roll necessary to get into rooms in steerage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.