BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Puzzle + thematic(fantasy if possible) game for 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hi,

i'm trying to find a game that a new boardgamer friend of mine may like and that this time actually suits me:

1.(and most important one) must be a puzzle like game.

There is no need to have 0 luck, dice are welcomed but not needed. but a lot of thinking and planning ahead. For that we have pandemic and tash-kalar as examples

2. 2 player is a must, solo is nice, 3+ is not needed.

3. has a good theme that is not pasted on.

may be any kind of fantasy(sci-fi, zombies, pure fantasy). non-'fantasy' themes are ok but not really what i want.

4. Low scale

i don't want 'adventure' games, like Eldritch horror/legends of andor where i don't actually feel where i am.
I want some low scale games, between arkham horror ~ zombicide when thinking of the game scale(from a city to a single street).

5. Co-op > pvp > multiplayer solitarie

When looking for it with friends, i got suggested

legends of andor - but the scale was too big

castle panic
- i don't like because i didn't feel like i was someone.

does anyone has any other suggestion?

thnx for any input

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek Panic is essentially Castle Panic with some new things added, namely actual missions you have to complete, and the ability to maneuver the Enterprise. Plus you play as one of the characters from the original series, with each having a different special ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Maaaaybe Samurai Spirit?

1) it's puzzle-y; there's a push your luck element as you draw cards, but you have to plan your actions and use your special abilities in order to mitigate this luck as much as possible as you can see what challenges are coming up next
2) plays 1-7; with 2, you can play multiple roles
3) well, the theme isn't integral to the game, but it's Japanese theme with samurai that can transform into animal warriors
4) it all takes place in a small village (you need to protect the village's structures/inhabitants)
5) it's co-op

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew S.
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not cooperative, but otherwise Dungeon Twister/Dungeon Twister 2 (currently only in print as Dungeon Twister: The Card Game) meets your criteria. It's basically a hybrid of chess and D&D. There is almost no luck, and the fantasy theme is strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Rau
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It doesn't have the fantasy theme you are looking for but take a look at Five Tribes.
It plays fantastic as a two-player game (the only way we play usually), and is a fantastic puzzle trying to maximize your points (or setting yourself up to score points).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game fits your criteria besides the scale.
(A town is just on one single hex...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tecocohen wrote:
legends of andor - but the scale was too big
I'm not quite sure what your criticism here is, because it's definitely the perfect fit for all your criteria...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderbirds

Like Pandemic but more thematic. Definitely fits the puzzle aspect and you play as one of the members of International Rescue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of ANdor was my first thought from thread title...

Second thought was Mage Knight Board Game

Assault on Doomrock
maybe.... It truly is an optimization game, but the dice and card draws can be fickle, and it is dern hard...
The Big Book of Madness, randomness in card though again not as luck oriented.

Shadowrun: Crossfire(theme may not be fit)

Defenders of the Realm???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
Thnx for all replies, i'll take a look at all of them

I had forgotten about mage knight, may be worth even without the scale

About legends of andor:

It may be just because i only saw reviews and never played.
The scale of the game kinda bothers me. I never feel like i'm somewhere and that my positioning matters, just that i'm a passerby somewhere.
It not like i can say 'hey *mage* i'm here, i'll tank it for you".

I'm not saying that where you are doesnt matter, because there are objectives and how far are you from some point of interest, but i hope my half-assed english did the job on explaining why..

That being said, i will look if someone has a copy near me, so i can see if i'm wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United Kingdom
Worcester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alchemists will certainly get you thinking and planning ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garman
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Pandemic is a good example of what you're looking for, Defenders of the Realm might work. It's basically a sword and sorcery version of Pandemic, where each player is a knight or wizard or something trying to hold back the evil hordes that threaten to overrun the kingdom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you heard of Ghost Stories?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would advice you to try and play Legends of Andor. Try before you turn it down.

How 'bout Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game? I mostly play 4 characters solo, so playing 4 characters with two players will definitely be possible. Be ready for having your ass kicked, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm thinking Mr. Jack could be a good fit.

It's deduction based, 2-player, thematic, and small-scale. It doesn't really tick any of your optional boxes (fantasy, 3+ player, or coop), but it checks all your mandatory ones better than most other suggestions so far.

ETA:
Flash Point: Fire Rescue is a great small scale puzzle-y coop. Checks pretty much all your boxes except for fantasy themed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.