6 Posts

The Walking Dead: No Sanctuary» Forums » General

Subject: Comicon Over Gen Con was a Big Mistake rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walking Dead fans that don't play board games don't want to spend $125 backing games on Kickstarter.

Gamers that like Walking Dead have no problem backing $125 board games on Kickstarter.

It would take a very rare Walking Dead/pop culture superfan to buy a game they likely won't play just for the components.

I don't understand why they thought Comicon was a better choice. If the Kickstarter was launched during Gen Con week with a lot of fanfare and demos it would have made a lot more money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
Walking Dead fans that don't play board games don't want to spend $125 backing games on Kickstarter.

Gamers that like Walking Dead have no problem backing $125 board games on Kickstarter.

It would take a very rare Walking Dead/pop culture superfan to buy a game they likely won't play just for the components.

I don't understand why they thought Comicon was a better choice. If the Kickstarter was launched during Gen Con week with a lot of fanfare and demos it would have made a lot more money.

At least they should have run it through Gen Con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they could handle this situation with pre-orders. All they have to do is offer all the pre-orders they receive at GenCon (and maybe a week or two after that) all the Kickstarter strutted goals AND count the sales towards the overall kickstarter sum/kickstarter street goals.

If I recall it correctly, Action Phase Games did so with their Heroes Wanted campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey M
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Well, they could handle this situation with pre-orders. All they have to do is offer all the pre-orders they receive at GenCon (and maybe a week or two after that) all the Kickstarter strutted goals AND count the sales towards the overall kickstarter sum/kickstarter street goals.

If I recall it correctly, Action Phase Games did so with their Heroes Wanted campaign.

I mean, that would be a show of good faith for their backers if the do that and it would be awesome. However, there doesn't seem to be much incentive for them to actually do it, especially the stretch goals part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They already said yesterday that nothing brought in after the campaign will be added to sgs. I think that the reason they ended it before GenCon was so that late pledges could be secured and they wouldn't have to pay ks their precentage. I understand the logic, just don't think they generated the pre-campaign hype to make the ks as big as it could have been. Word of mouth is great and all, but who even reads those spam type fb messages anymore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumpae wrote:
They already said yesterday that nothing brought in after the campaign will be added to sgs. I think that the reason they ended it before GenCon was so that late pledges could be secured and they wouldn't have to pay ks their precentage. I understand the logic, just don't think they generated the pre-campaign hype to make the ks as big as it could have been. Word of mouth is great and all, but who even reads those spam type fb messages anymore?

I agree. Crypto was expecting the campaign to break $1 million, mostly on the IP. At Gen Con they could demo the game, point to the successful KS that just ended, and suggest people jump in during the pledge manager. Crypto avoids KS fees and doesn't have to reward backers with any more stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.