Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Abaddon Wormwood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any suggestions for books which might help capture the fervour of this born-again game? Be them in keeping of era or themes

House of Leaves - modern and highly choreographed typesetting. Read it years ago

Wormwood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about books by HP Lovecraft?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abaddon Wormwood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Might tick a box or two. Did you want to expand on that?

Wormwood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lord of Wormwood wrote:
Might tick a box or two. Did you want to expand on that?

Wormwood

When I bought Eldritch Horror I started reading "The Complete Works of HP Lovecraft" and listening to the podcast "The HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast" - which you can find here: http://hppodcraft.com/ Note that newer shows are subscription only, but if you start at the bottom of the feed all of the Lovecraft stuff is free.

The site also highlights other authors, like Robert Chambers, who wrote The King in Yellow - which is used as content for the latest Eldritch expansion, Signs of Carcosa.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you are okay with ebooks and have an Android device. There is a free app called H.P. Lovecraft that has everything Lovecraft wrote. Novels, shorts, essays, and magazine articles. It's its own nice little eReader as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey Wormwood,

most Lovecraft-tales come in compilations, as he has written a lot of short stories and only a handful of novels. As you want to enhance your game of Mansions of Madness, there are some stories dealing exactly with that topic. Best are in my opinion:

1. Rats in the Walls
2. Pickman's Model
3. Dreams in the Witch House

There are also some cool colaborations between Lovecraft and other authors diggin in the mansion-themed horror:

1. The Bell in the Tower (with Lin Carter)
2. The Lurker at the Threshold (with August Derleth)

Other essential Stories of Lovecraft are (personal opinion, ranked from best to good):

1. The Colour out of Space (easily the most gruesome of them all)
2. The Dunwich Horror (full of atmosphere, somewhat the godfather of backwood horror)
3. The Whisperer in Darkness (Aliens in the backwoods, what's not to love about it)
4. The Haunter of the Dark
5. The Music of Erich Zann
6. The Case of Charles Dexter Ward (Witchery, Alchemy and eldritch horror)
7. Shadow over Innsmouth
8. The Thing on the Doorstep
9. At the Mountains of Madness (very psychedelic in parts)
10. The Call of Cthulhu

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lovecraft is the place to start, for sure; I'd recommend starting with the short stories. "Rats In The Walls", "Colour Out Of Space", "Shadow Over Innsmouth" and "Pickman's Model" are my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abaddon Wormwood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the above - it's been an age since I walked hand in hand with Howard.

Moving further a field other authors, maybe in a different era?

Wormwood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas Ligotti is a modern author whose short stories have the same sort of surreal unsettling psychological horror feel as Lovecraft, though I tend to think he doesn't know how to properly end a story. Might be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abaddon Wormwood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Marlowespade wrote:
Lovecraft is the place to start, for sure; I'd recommend starting with the short stories. "Rats In The Walls", "Colour Out Of Space", "Shadow Over Innsmouth" and "Pickman's Model" are my favourites.

Rats in the Wall and Haunter in the Dark are my two most memorable - Haunter being more so. I did enjoy the Mountains of Madness also. I just found out that the Haunter is a follow on from 'The Shambler from the Stars'... just about to find a copy of that (see what's on the shelf first).

Will check out Thomas Ligotti, thanks, Chris.

Wormwood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben McClellan
United States
Brunswick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowespade wrote:
Thomas Ligotti is a modern author whose short stories have the same sort of surreal unsettling psychological horror feel as Lovecraft, though I tend to think he doesn't know how to properly end a story. Might be worth a look.

My take exactly. I always end up wanting to like Ligotti's work more than I actually do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also check out Cody Goodfellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
A modern writer and probably the closest to Lovecraft in the horror genre at the moment: Ramsey Campbell. Highly imaginative, excellent prose. His short story, "The Companion" is one of the best pieces of writing I've seen in horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of Wormwood wrote:
Any suggestions for books which might help capture the fervour of this born-again game? Be them in keeping of era or themes

House of Leaves - modern and highly choreographed typesetting. Read it years ago

Wormwood

Along these lines- the new version has me interested in actually buying this- since I can solo it, or co-op it.

Was wondering if anyone plays some atmospheric music while they play, and has some suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
jasonbaz77 wrote:
Lord of Wormwood wrote:

Wormwood

Along these lines- the new version has me interested in actually buying this- since I can solo it, or co-op it.

Was wondering if anyone plays some atmospheric music while they play, and has some suggestions.

Yes I do, for all my Lovecraft games. I just did a YouTube search, there are tons of things out there. I went for the compilations that are an hour long or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just keep in mind that Lovecraft was an avowed white supremacist and his biases, thought not at the forefront of many of his stories, do rear their ugly head now and again (notably in Call of Cthulhu, but in others as well I imagine).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
jasonbaz77 wrote:
Lord of Wormwood wrote:

Wormwood

Yes I do, for all my Lovecraft games. I just did a YouTube search, there are tons of things out there. I went for the compilations that are an hour long or more.

Good idea, Brian...thanks. I didn't think of checking Youtube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
mbmb
Lord of Wormwood wrote:
Marlowespade wrote:
Lovecraft is the place to start, for sure; I'd recommend starting with the short stories. "Rats In The Walls", "Colour Out Of Space", "Shadow Over Innsmouth" and "Pickman's Model" are my favourites.

Rats in the Wall and Haunter in the Dark are my two most memorable - Haunter being more so. I did enjoy the Mountains of Madness also. I just found out that the Haunter is a follow on from 'The Shambler from the Stars'... just about to find a copy of that (see what's on the shelf first).

Will check out Thomas Ligotti, thanks, Chris.

Wormwood

Ligotti is from my area. He's the author that the HBO show True Detective supposedly ripped-off. (I haven't read any of his stuff, so not sure if it's true).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Just keep in mind that Lovecraft was an avowed white supremacist and his biases, thought not at the forefront of many of his stories, do rear their ugly head now and again (notably in Call of Cthulhu, but in others as well I imagine).

He wrote racist things, especially by today's standards. I don't think the phrase, "white supremacist" existed in Lovecraft's time. Also I think of a white supremacist as one who makes an effort to promote the white race. I don't see this in the few stories Lovecraft wrote with racist sentences to say he was an "avowed white supremacist" is absurd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The New Annotated H. P. Lovecraft" by Klinger is a fantastic place to go for both new and old fans of Lovecraft's works, I highly recommend it (as someone who read most of the works 3+ times previously, and has a few other collections).

As far as music to play during Arkham/probably this, I recommend creating a Pandora station from the band Nox Arcana. Atmospheric music with a bit of a creepy vibe, and the "similar qualities" aspect has had some more exciting things come on during a battle against a GOO in Arkham, which was quite entertaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

Not this again, please. It is done to death, S. T. Joshi and all the other Lovecraft sholars wrote essays many years ago dealing with that topic, it is widely known, that Lovecraft, as an Gentleman of New England, thought negative about other races, as did August Derleth, as did Robert E. Howard, as did nearly everybody caucasian in the 20s and 30s. No need for virtue signaling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you're saying, yes this is true but please don't mention it?

No. It's relevant to the topic, and it's likely that some people will be unaware of it, so it's fine to briefly mention it as was done.

Exilfranke wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:

Not this again, please. It is done to death, S. T. Joshi and all the other Lovecraft sholars wrote essays many years ago dealing with that topic, it is widely known, that Lovecraft, as an Gentleman of New England, thought negative about other races, as did August Derleth, as did Robert E. Howard, as did nearly everybody caucasian in the 20s and 30s. No need for virtue signaling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
So you're saying, yes this is true but please don't mention it?

No. It's relevant to the topic, and it's likely that some people will be unaware of it, so it's fine to briefly mention it as was done.

No, it was not "mentioned", he called Lovecraft a "white supremacist", which is total BS. No one familiar with Lovecrafts work, life and views would call him that way.

Sure, you can mention that Lovecraft shared views which are by todays standards considered racist (and good so), but that "white supremacist"-BS is nonesense, as another user pointed out.

But go on and be the friggin white knight every Lovecraft thread needs since the dawn of time ... god dammit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you're saying he just thought white folks are a little bit better, rather than loads better? Weird thing to equivocate about.

It is different, because it was in the past. It's worse to hold those views in 2016. But the attitude was real, and not everyone of that time had it.

Obfuscatory 'white-knight' accusation doesn't legitimise brushing it under the carpet, and the anger you clearly have about this is a bit uncomfortable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Okay. Whatever floats your boat. I don't care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.