BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Love Stone Age and Carcassonne - What's next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Bartels
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
My gaming group, my girlfriend and a handful of friends.

Stone Age + expansion - Most popular
Carcassonne + expansion - Love playing this
TTR Europe - Mixed, not enough VP earning options
Caverna - Solid game, gets our complex game fix
Agricola - Not that exciting,(I can score 40 points) have tried the E,I and K decks
Pandemic + expansion - Was a hit, hasn't made it out recently

We love Stone age and carcassonne because there's many of methods to win, short term thought and rewards, theme, great to look at.

We enjoy games that last between an hour and an hour and a half

Anyone that's top rated carcassonne or stone age, what would you recommend?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Update:
Thank you all for submitting your recommendations, while I watch a video on each, I wanted to do some analysis on the 42 suggestions! Compiled a
top list. While, this doesn't define which ones are my favorite in any way. My goal is to sort them based on the overall reviews available with a better scoring system. I feel too much of BGG's scores lie between 7-8. It's of course not a complete list, but of those which have been mentioned in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep seems like a good option.

Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King could also work, it borrows a little from Carcassonne, even.

Keyflower is another really good game, you could take a look at.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Alhambra
Galaxy Trucker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Alhambra

Splendor

Istanbul plus Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh

Maybe Fresco: Big Box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
msg tools
I quite enjoy both games, and I think you might also enjoy Vikings. Some other, options would be Thurn and Taxis, Saint Petersburg, The Princes of Florence and El Grande.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture - great gateway+ worker placement game

Istnabul - fun 2-5P pickup and deliver game

Royals - 2-5P card driven area control game

World Fair 1893 - fun, quick playing area control game with set collection.

Via Nebula - haven't played it yet ( get my copy on Saturday ). Route building and pickup and deliver game with a fun theme by Martin Wallace.

Council of Four - excellent card driven, route building game with an very satisfying rewards escalation mechanic. Plays quick.

Isle of Skye is a tile layer where you are building your own kingdom while trying to satisfy various end of round scoring requirements. Tiles are acquired by an auction/price setting mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad M
msg tools
mb
If your group's favorite is Stone Age, I think you will enjoy Champions of Midgard unless the Viking theme is a turn off. It is a worker placement game with dice rolling for combat with monsters rather than obtaining resources (although you do roll dice for food resources sometimes).

A suggestion for something different than what you have in your collection is Five Tribes. This game scales great for 2-4 players. It does move a little slower than Stone Age or Carcassonne though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to alhambra, I consider it my stand in for TTR because you collect cards but it just feels so much better because its money that you then use to buy and build your own board. Fairly simple but much more of a hook than TTR

Wasabi!- if you can find a reasonably priced copy. You each have hidden objectives and you build a board together to try to make what you need. Feels like a great theme for such an abstract concept.

Revolution!- a differnt type than what you have there but it was a hit with the same type of players. It does require at least 3 players. Its a blind bidding for area control. Easy to understand and its all about trying to out guess your opponents, great short term thought and reward.

Spyrium- this game really blew my worker placement brain away. It really shows how deep of a game you can get with just "worker placement". It may be a big complexity step up but I think it may be worth it for you. Check out a video or something and see if your ready. its also a fairly cheap game compared to some others. I'm not a big fan of the art but it works

ooooh also try looking into "dice placement" games too like Alien Frontiers, The Castles of Burgundy, and my current favorite Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia
I like dice placement and I think its also a good category for you because its *random in* so you can have strategies but you really have to be focused on just dealing with what your dealt with the choices you make

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Village

The Downfall of Pompeii

Five Tribes

San Juan

+1000 to El Grande & Spyrium

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bartels
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone so far! - I love that you all have pretty different ideas about your recommendations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I love me a good Stone Age romp!

I also recommend Cacao. It's similar to Carcassonne with tile laying, but uses a worker placement element of trying to decide where something should go.

I fear Castles of Burgundy and Keyflower may not be what you're immediately after, based on your Agricola statement. They are a bit more convoluted than both Stone Age and Carcassonne (although both are great fun). Also, don't get Champions of Midgard, as it's quite similar to Stone Age. Everything else looks solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Isle of Skye, unless people are prone to AP. I've played this with casual and serious gamers, and everyone has enjoyed it so far. However, I think you really need four players to make it interesting.

Lords of Waterdeep is also good, if you don't mind the theme. (There's no Dungeons & Dragons connection other than the name.) It's similar to Agricola in that you choose which resources to collect, but it moves along at a faster pace because you are constantly completing quests and moving your scoring marker around the board. It also plays well at all player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Bird
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big + 1 to

Keyflower

Castles of Mad King Ludwig

Splendor

And while they didn't work for my group

Castles of Burgundy & Istanbul may very well work for you also

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Founding Fathers: Before politics became a reality show.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Another way to cut things:

Seems like you're pretty into games by Hans-im-Glueck. You might search and see what their top-ranked games are. Here's the link:

https://boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=rank&advsear...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bartels
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Whoa, how right you are! Good eye, that will help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you've made up your mind already, but you NEED to at least consider the following games, which have been criminally ignored:

1) if you like Stone Age, then check out Viticulture.

2) if you like Carcassonne, then check out Quadropolis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bartels
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Added in Viticulture, Cacao and Quadroplis into my table. Viticulture actually ran in on 6th place! I'm so glad I asked everyone, this is a much better list than random top 10's on youtube.

Hopefully this will be useful for future gamers too!

Keep em coming if you love/d Stone Age or Carcassonne, i'll take any game suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would strongly suggest Concordia.

Whilst some people say it doesn't look amazing, visually and some people say the theme is slight, it really is a great game with plenty of longevity.

Each turn you play a card from your hand. How simple is that?!

But it is never boring as there is so much depth behind it.

Check out some reviews on it.

M B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Graves
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Good list. Suggest you pay attention to the player count ratings also in your search. For example, Castles of Burgundy is awesome ad the majority of ratings have it best with two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.