Subject: Using search function vs. asking questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was noticing recently that there are lots of friendly & helpful BGG community members here, I like to think I'm one of them, and like in Real life there are some community members who are..........well, maybe not so friendly (ugh, another negative thread you say....).

I just read a reply to a new member from an older member where the the newer guy was scolded and ridiculed for asking a question that was already posted (the original question was asked several years ago) and discussed. The older member Said using the search function would've been better to use than posting a new thread....in a very snarky way.

Whatever, right? To each his/her own. I learned my first day how to use the search function, the one at the very top, just moments ago I found the search function this guy was referring to, the one for each board game page that searches the forums...........duh, now that I know that I'll be using it a lot but I didn't know that until now (I've been a member for a couple of years but only really active since November).

No, it wasn't me the older member was being snarky to but I have had asshats respond to my queries in an asshat way......again, whatever (red button, please!).

All of that said, I prefer to start my own thread for a topic, members are allowed to either respond or not respond to questions or even questions that have already been asked, a helpful member could reply and either answer the question or perhaps inform them of how to use the search for better options but SCHOOLING them or being an asshat by responding in an asshat way isn't being helpful nor friendly. I feel like those asshats don't want the community to grow.....just my opinion.

Anyway, which do you prefer? Using the search function or starting threads or both or depends and what's your opinion about asshats who scold and reply in snarky ways to other members? Do you use the RED BUTTON? I think some folks think the red button is taboo and that it's some kind of honor code to not use it.....again, just my opinion.

What's yours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"...there's no I in 'team'. There is a me, though, if you jumble it up."
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I couldn't give two hoots for the search system. Although I generally use Google searches with BGG as the location to search anyway.

Unless someone asks the exact same question that another thread ont he first page of said game already clearly answers, then I see no problem with creating a new thread.

Also, if a thread of the same question keeps re-appearing after a while, it suggests that maybe something isn't clear in the game perhaps, so the question could be a good sticky, or an entry in a FAQ for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recognize your reference from reading it a few minutes ago. I took it as a one-off and not a trend for concern.

My own general attitude toward rules threads is, "Don't just answer - Teach". That most often includes giving a specific rules quote, maybe links to prior threads, and possibly providing guidance on how to help yourself next time by checking BGG sources to find rules documents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If everyone just used the search function instead of re-asking the same questions, then BGG would be about 50% LESS Active. LOL How many "Recommend a 2 player game for my partner and I..." threads are there? Don't get me wrong, I'm totally okay with "repeat" threads. IMO, the whole point behind BGG is to read and understand other peoples thoughts and ideas on boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "search" function here ?? For me it might be better described as the "browse" function. In some forums over time I may simply remember that the topic has already appeared and I manually go hunting through titles.

Sometimes I seek assistance from (promininent outside search engine).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Search function (and yes 50% less traffic!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old topics for some are new topics for others, depending on the timescale things could of altered from an original post. Also as long as the thread title is clear there is absolutely no need for people who have no interest or don't want to contribute to even read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, if I have a question, I always try to find the answer by myself before posting, and I often go to greater lengths than I would expect from others. I've found that approach has generally benefitted me, because I usually learn a lot more from doing research than from taking the easy way and just ask away. Also, the research often allows me to formulate my questions more precisely if I do find I need to ask them, and to get more concise answers.

When I do post questions, I do expect to be treated with kindness and respect, even if the answers turn out to be readily available in the rules documents, FAQs or on the boards, and I just didn't find them despite my research efforts.

Generally, I do think it is good practice to make at least a cursory effort to find the answers to any questions and to see if they are asked often and have been answered several times. I feel it is somewhat disrespectful to just presume on the time and helpfulness of others without spending at least a minimal effort yourself.

Even so, when questions do get asked, they should be answered politely and comprehensively. I usually try not only to answer the questions but also back the answers up with references. Never should any questions be met with snark or condescension, no matter how basic they may seem to a veteran, especially not if they come from new players. Well, maybe except if they are asked in an insolent, disrespectful or overly entitled manner.

I have never used the Red X AFAIR, and don't expect to any time soon. It would take something truly extraordinary to make me do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can ask a question or search. BGG doesn't care which you do. Popular games will probably have many fans eager to answer questions, so ask away! Less popular games where fans rarely lurk will probably benefit more from a search before asking.

I find searching a little problematic because previous questions are titled with generic titles such as "HELP!" or "I have a question..." Composing your question with a specific topic, fulsome context, and stated clearly will make it easier to search for and find in the future.

Answering questions should be done similarly: restate the point of the question, give the answer, and cite the rulebook directly (at least offer a page number) or an official/widely accepted FAQ as your source. Offer reasons based on precedent in the rules for your answer if the rules and FAQ can't help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Users should always search before creating a new thread, this has been accepted forum etiquette for years. Keeping forums clear of duplicate threads aids the ability to find relevant information and prevents people missing out on info that may be in the other thread. On a related issue, people may have a subscription to the original thread and they'd then miss out on new discussion.

It's lazy, naive and inconsiderate. I've seen duplicate threads created where the original thread is still in the 5 or so recent threads. However this doesn't mean new users should be chastised for it.

Can the BGG admin teams merge threads when they occur? Maybe I should search for that answer before asking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stomski wrote:
Keeping forums clear of duplicate threads aids the ability to find relevant information and prevents people missing out on info that may be in the other thread.

I don't agree with this.. if you're using the search function, the information should be just as readily available to you whether or not similar threads are created.. in fact, multiple threads could mean more exposure to more people, which actually leads to more participation.. Someone who is just browsing (not searching for specific topic) may have input into a particular topic, that they would not have contributed to otherwise.

Stomski wrote:

It's lazy, naive and inconsiderate. I've seen duplicate threads created where the original thread is still in the 5 or so recent threads. However this doesn't mean new users should be chastised for it.

So, you don't believe users should be chastised for it, but you call the practice lazy, naive and inconsiderate in the same paragraph???

I do agree with you that there often seems to be similar threads all on the first page of the forum, particularly the "Recommend me a 2 player game..."

I also find it interesting that members like to post "i'm going to ask the opposite of this other thread..." type questions.. "Do you like red meeples?" thread begets the "Do you like non-red meeples.." thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Bates
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What a fun topic! Where to start...

I find forum searches to be tricky. I'll usually give it a go a few times, and I have better luck on Google, but if I try a few times and don't get an answer I like, I'll move on to something else.

Game searches are a different story. I have recently fallen in love with Advanced Search. IMO, this needs to be a much bigger button on the home page. Just yesterday I was looking for lighter weight games that included pick-up-and-deliver. I could then sort by rank, and even include those I already own (a money-saving strategy!). Consequently, I'm intrigued by Hansa. I could now start a thread asking about how it compares to Panamax but I already know the latter is much heavier and maybe not my thing right now. Search + post = best of both worlds!

As for the red X, I definitely use it for rudeness and other inappropriate comments. I mean, you're basically standing in a crowded room at a party and yelling that for everyone to hear. Is that really a cool thing to say?

In general, I reconsider 4 or 5 times before I post anything. Like tattoos, online posts stay around forever and are impossible to remove completely, so choose purposefully.

I leave you with this final thought... Yay, games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tammy Golden
United States
Newark
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it when people post questions in the forums, even if that question has been asked before. Now, certainly, if the question has been asked and is in the top 5 or 10 threads of a forum, I would question why a new thread is needed, but they could have just overlooked the previous thread.

If questions continue to be asked, it keeps them visible and more people will see them, garnering more interest. I know I've become interested in games because of some of the numerous suggestions threads, or posts for a specific game that show up in the home page modules. If someone had just gone and read the previous threads instead of creating a new one, I most likely wouldn't have known about certain games.

For a new user, BGG can feel somewhat intimidating to use. Trying to figure out the search functions and how to use them isn't the easiest, so I don't feel that someone is being "lazy, naive, and inconsiderate" in posting a new thread about an old topic. They should instead be welcomed for their interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been discussed before. Maybe if you knew how to use the search function you'd know that.

(Did I do it right?)

Just kidding!

I do think there are different levels of this though. If you want to discuss something that's last been talked about years ago, I think that's fine. If it's something that pops up here every week, I have a lot less sympathy. And if you're asking a question asking for some sort of information (as opposed to just wanting to discuss opinions) and you haven't bothered to research if it's already been answered before, then I don't really have any sympathy at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glouie wrote:

I don't agree with this.. if you're using the search function, the information should be just as readily available to you whether or not similar threads are created..

And they no would only read one of them and miss out on possible good info in the duplicates. More threads make it harder to find the info you need, regardless of the search.

Also, less duplicate threads would mean less noise and less use for the search as browsing a games forum should be enough.

glouie wrote:

So, you don't believe users should be chastised for it, but you call the practice lazy, naive and inconsiderate in the same paragraph???

Punishment should fit the crime! Perhaps your definition of chastise doesn't match mine? And factor in new users may not even know there's a search or that forums can spread over multiple pages of threads (those next text links aren't always clear.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that asking the question again (or for your first time), is almost always better than searching for a few reasons.
1.The old answers could be outdated (and likely are, given how quickly new games come out).
2.You'll get new and varried responses.
3.It's more convenient
4.It doesn't hurt anyone.

So I say ask away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
On one hand, I usually search the forums for an answer to my question before posting, as I dislike pointless repetition.

On the other hand, I think there's generally no problem starting a new thread, for various reasons (old threads can get outdated, thread titles may not be very helpful, people who never read the older thread may have something useful to add).

On the third hand wow it does irritate me sometimes to see the same questions come up time and time again. On at least one occasion I remember thinking "Come on, there are multiple threads on this exact topic already, and one of them is the third thread in this forum!"

In other words, there's no general problem with asking a question that's been asked before, but it's preferable to at least make a quick search rather than clogging up the forums with the tenth iteration of the same thread.

And, of course, there's no excuse for rudeness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say use the search function. Best to have the same topic all in a single thread for posterity rather than multiple threads. (I know, I go back and look up things that have been discussed and I'd rather read all the discussion in one thread.)

Organization and efficiency. It's why we play Eurogames, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
It strikes me that BGG doesn't seem to have sticky threads. I'd think such a thing would be invaluable, especially in the rules forums for games.

If a question gets asked multiple times, it could be made a sticky topic, making it easier to find. Then if someone starts a new thread about it anyway, they could be directed to the sticky thread, and any subsequent discussion could happen there.

It wouldn't prevent new threads on old topics, but it might minimise them and make the forums more generally useful and less cluttered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Different thread. Different perspective Plus a whole lot more interactive than passively reading old threads.

BGG would be more Wikipedia and less community (and a whole lot less fun).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
It strikes me that BGG doesn't seem to have sticky threads. I'd think such a thing would be invaluable, especially in the rules forums for games.

If a question gets asked multiple times, it could be made a sticky topic, making it easier to find. Then if someone starts a new thread about it anyway, they could be directed to the sticky thread, and any subsequent discussion could happen there.

It wouldn't prevent new threads on old topics, but it might minimise them and make the forums more generally useful and less cluttered.

You can simply click on the rules forum, then sort by Hotness (ones with the most thumbs). Those are typically the questions that got asked the most.

Quote:
Different thread. Different perspective Plus a whole lot more interactive than passively reading old threads.

BGG would be more Wikipedia and less community (and a whole lot less fun).

So, if 1,000 players of, say, 10,000 copies of a games sold all came on BGG to ask the same question, you think there should be 1,000 new threads for the exact same question? I'm genuinely curious if that is what you're saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are times you could search for hours and not get exactly what you are looking for. Depending on the titles of the threads and how you search, it may never come up. And sometimes asking a question a slightly different way brings new conversation.

Plus, as someone else mentioned, sometimes a new post (even if it has been done many times before, ie. 2-player recommendations), brings out not only new games that have since been released (and comparisons with those new games) but also new BGG users who were not around when the previous threads were made.

I say that BGG should not be only for a select few who already know everything, but rather all new members should get to enjoy and learn the site just like the long-time members. If you see a post that feels like a rehash and repeat, just don't read it if it would bother you. If you fell strongly about an old subject being rehashed, skip on by it, and while that won't "make 50% less traffic," it will certainly reduce your impatience and annoyance.

I have to say that while most BGG users seem to be friendly and inviting to others' opinions, there are some regular chastisers. It feels like intimidation, and I cringe when I read a thread and it feels like someone is being schooled and put down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jill e gamer wrote:
There are times you could search for hours and not get exactly what you are looking for. Depending on the titles of the threads and how you search, it may never come up.

That's a poor argument, imo. That's like being asked to get some specific item from the grocery store by a spouse and responding, "Eh, I would, but there's no guarantee they'll have it. So, I better not even look at all."

Even those of us suggesting a search-first approach do not expect anyone to spend hours looking. A couple minutes, however, isn't unreasonable.

If you want a "slightly different way" for your conversation, then I say link to the previous threads you've found in your new post, and state that you've read them and you want some slightly different answers, so we know you aren't just being lazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've only been here a couple months, so maybe I need some more street cred before my opinion becomes valid. But while lurking, I've seen a few posts where I thought "wow, that's a great question" or "that's exactly what I need to know" only to have snarky replies and rude quips about the search function and new threads about old topics. While I may not be afraid of a few internet bullies (and I understand they're the minority), I also don't want to get chastised for asking about the Fakir cards in Five Tribes or why Twilight Struggle isn't in the top 200 Thematic Games list. Thus, I will continue lurking and continue learning from all you experienced gamers.

Jorath wrote:
Old topics for some are new topics for others, depending on the timescale things could of altered from an original post. Also as long as the thread title is clear there is absolutely no need for people who have no interest or don't want to contribute to even read it.

Great points, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.