Subject: A big step up in complexity from Memoir '44 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mister P
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my exploration on this site I would say Conflict of Heroes is the way to go.

Hope you find something fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

"Sturdy mounted board" rules out about 98% of the likely candidates in the genre. I was going to recommend Valor & Victory but it's a print-n-play.

D-Day at Omaha Beach is an exceptional solo World War II wargame, the best solo game I've played in any category, a fine choice. But its form factor doesn't meet your requirements.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd consider the Nations at War Series. It's a WW2 game where each counter represents a platoon. Each platoon is a member of a formation (typically a battalion). Formations are activated by drawing chits from a cup, which adds some tensions to solo games. And, it does have hard-mounted maps. There is also the World at War Series which uses the same system but in a fictional 1980's NATO/Soviet conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mounted maps aren't the norm nowadays, but GMT games often have them.

The Command & Colors system is basically the same system as Memoir, but more advanced. E.g., Commands & Colors: Napoleonics.

Faded Glory is also Napoleonics. Not very difficult to learn. Here's a review: http://boardgamegeek.com/video/24898/fading-glory/video-revi...

The No Retreat system has a much broader scale, but is WW2. A pretty decent step up in complexity, but still in the intermediate category (some would say advanced beginner).
No Retreat! The Russian Front

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heynes
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can forget about the sturdy mounted board then Combat Commander: Europe would be a great bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old School Tactical - I'm currently having an absolute blast playing this. Enormous, beautiful mounted maps. Really nice components. Easy to get into. First expansion (Western Front) is up on Kickstarter right now.

Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles (and its various sequels) - Only played this a couple of times. I'd pick it up in a heartbeat, but I think I'm going to stick with Old School Tactical for now. There's a decent deal for it on Kickstarter right now.

And as above, Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) and the various expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are few things to consider here:

As it has been pointed out: Most wargames don't have mounted maps. An increasing number of GMT Games have them, most others don't. If you are interested in owning more wargames, I would advise not to care about papermaps and get a plexi or a poster frame for your papermaps. Otherwise... your options are more limited.

The other thing to consider is that while many wargamers play solo and many wargames are rated as solo-suitable you've got know what you're going into. Usually it means that you are just playing both sides. So solo-suitable wargames are mostly wargames with little to no hidden information.

But there are also solitaire-only games and games with bots/AI.

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) has already been mentioned. Last year it also got the Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion which gives you an AI for solo play. Thick, sturdy boards, beautiful counters... there's just one thing: It's not that big of a step up. It's a step up for sure. But by wargame standards certainly not a big one.

Fading Glory has mounted boards, only few moving pieces in each scenarion, big, good looking counters, short playtime, it teaches you the very basics of hex-and-counter games and it's an era you probably know less about. But soloing this means playing both sides.

Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? is also a good one. I do have some issues with the theme myself so it's probably not for everybody but the game is very good. Very nice components, assymetrical play and the option to play solo against AI/bot.

The games from the GMT COIN Series are certainly another option. It's got AI flowcharts for all factions, so you can play this solo. I know many people do. I'm just not so crazy about managing three out of four factions by flowchart. For me that means that I spend only a quarter of my time actually playing. The other three quarters are spent on managing stuff for the bot players. But many people enjoy it.

And even though it completely fails to meet your requirements in the component department I can't help but tell you to consider D-Day at Omaha Beach nontheless. One of the best solo games out there. Period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to keep an eye out for the reprint/2nd edition of Fields of Fire, it's a solo war game where you're in control of a platoon, and is suppose to be quite deep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
mkaup366 wrote:
You may want to keep an eye out for the reprint/2nd edition of Fields of Fire, it's a solo war game where you're in control of a platoon, and is suppose to be quite deep.

But no mounted board. Great game, but a BIG step up, indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play both Memoir and Conflict of Heroes.
I think Conflict of Heroes is certainly a significant enough step up for you.
Although the rules aren't really much more complicated, game play is, in. Y opinion, much slower and much more deliberative.
Go with CoH - I think it's just what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Paper maps are prettier too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore (Second Edition) is the only game you should even consider. Seriously. This thing is incredible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Toenail21 wrote:
BattleLore (Second Edition) is the only game you should even consider. Seriously. This thing is incredible.

That's a little myopic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.