$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
32.6% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Damian Allen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I personally find the game to be slanted in favor of the rebels, for a number of reasons. However, I've read a couple individual posts about the Empire being the better side for a new player vs. a more experienced one.

I would think that even if the game is balanced in the end, the Imperial player has more units and territory they must control. Making the Rebel side better for a new player vs. an experienced one, because there is less for them to keep track of.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the empire is the better faction for a new player. It's more straightforward to say "spread out and find the base" via your fleet or capturing rebel leaders than to try and explain some of the finer points the rebels can do to bluff their position.

I think the strategy to play the rebels well would be difficult for a new player vs. an experienced empire player.
1. They're not going to know what objectives are in the deck.
2. They're not going to understand the importance of the starter mission to burn through their objectives and get the good ones while planning ahead to avoid capture or interrogation.
3. Bluffing the "move the base" mission by looking at the probe cards and "deciding not to move" to make the empire think the next cards in the probe deck are all planets that are not good options.
4. Understanding how to block/stall the fleet's expansion.

All of this could be explained I suppose, but learning the rules and strategy the first game is a lot. I just think the empire is easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire and it's not even close for me. Rebels can often feel like they're doing nothing or losing, when they're winning. It's opaque.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebels might be better for "chance at winning" but the Empire is much easier to understand and play. If the other player is more experienced a handicap of some kind might help... You could always start the turn marker at 16 to help out the New Empire player a bit.

E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i feel its difficult to say, the empire might seem straightforward but if you dont plan your turns/movements of troops well from early on you will find it difficult to corner the rebel base. if you start too late with a proper strategy plan it will be too late.

best is to give new players some strategy hints and some ideas about what kind of missions they can expect to see from the other side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Rodgers
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
You give Empire to the new player since games where the Rebels get crushed early aren't very interesting. Their starting forces get wiped out, Imperials choke their production, and it becomes a perfunctory matter of checking systems until the base is found. If the game is boring, that new player might not agree to a second.

As the Empire, a new player, even if they don't come anywhere close to finding the base and winning the game, they're going to have some big fights, get to capture some leaders, subjugate some systems, and perhaps even blow up a system with the Death Star.

You give the new player Empire, since the Empire is still fun to play with and against when they're losing horribly. Same can't be said really for Rebels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion: An new player has little hope against an experienced one (note I said little hope, not no hope), so you might as well let them play Empire so they can at least feel powerful... they will probably not even realize how badly they are losing until the game is almost over. Of course if they have their heart set on playing a particular side you should let them do what they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Orrington
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, we have played 6 times and the Rebels have never won. I'd say start as Empire!

Just spread out and keep picking off the Rebel leaders and you should win easily as the Empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion is to let new players start with the Empire.

First games for people do not go competetive as there is too much room for surprises and all. Empire is more clear and direct on what you can do as a newcomer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that for most new players the Empire is theside to go.

I will say that for some players playing as the rebel might be easier because they have objective cards to guide them:
Do this, it will help you + it will give you VPs toward winning.
If they are not able to do an objective thats not the end of the world.

My question is do you use the basic setup for new players?
I mean I have played the basic setup enough (always played with action cards - they worked fine), most players are ok with setting up their units.
What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:
My question is do you use the basic setup for new players?
I mean I have played the basic setup enough (always played with action cards - they worked fine), most players are ok with setting up their units.
What do you think?

Depends on the player and how "heavy" the games are that they usually play. When my friends and I started playing we went with the advanced game rules but used the "first game" board setup. We are all used to games with lots of interacting mechanics so it wasn't an issue. If you are bringing someone in who is used to less complex games you might want to stick with the basic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Body
msg tools
Regardless of the side, all new players should be allowed to look over the Rebel objective deck before a game.

A new Empire player can suffer a crippling loss if he doesn't know how blowing up the death star works or when it comes up, and not knowing about the Coruscant capture objective means most new Empire players would leave it empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always use the first game setup with new players - until you've seen it all in action, you won't have any idea what to do setup-wise. That setup may take options away, especially for the Rebels, but it also takes a lot of opportunity to shoot yourself in the foot before you know what's going on away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fahbs2000 wrote:
Regardless of the side, all new players should be allowed to look over the Rebel objective deck before a game.

A new Empire player can suffer a crippling loss if he doesn't know how blowing up the death star works or when it comes up, and not knowing about the Coruscant capture objective means most new Empire players would leave it empty.

Yes definitely!
I printed a list of the objectives from the files section, it also clarifys the difference between rebel system an rebel loyalty, and gives a reasonable estimate on how hard it is to accomplish the objective, helps starting players along

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.