$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 97.76

6,237 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: [Poll] Highest Jump without Parachute rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: here_hold_my_beer [+] [View All]
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read in the newspaper, that tomorrow some f*king American is going to jump out of a Cessna from 8 km into a net of 30m by 30m, held by 4 cranes of 60m high. No parachute. No wing suit.

Poll: How will Luke Aikins - the jumping guy - end?
How will Luke Aikins - the jumping guy - end?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
He ends in the net, as it should be.
44.4% 12
He ends like an overripe melon thrown on the pavement.
55.6% 15
Voters 27
This poll is now closed.   27 answers
Poll created by anemaat
Closes: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:00 am
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a firm policy that I'll never do anything where the response to "Did you hear, Bryan died doing X?" could be "Well, yeah, that's not particularly surprising is it?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
He'll probably make it. And that will be kind of boring. If he fails, it'll be really sad. So 99% boring, 1% sad - I can't say I'm a fan of this thing he's trying.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
He should reach his terminal velocity after 500 meters, meaning the extra 7500 meters are just add to the aiming challenge (and give more time for something to go wrong). He should be able to shape his body to steer effectively.. but man, 30m by 30m is not very big - that's about the length of a basketball court. Things probably won't go great if he lands near the edge of it, too.

I suspect he lands in the net as expected, but suffers an injury that they hype up.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you hear, Bryan died in the middle of writing a post to BGG?
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember all of the hype that surrounded Evel Knieval's Snake River Canyon jump. That was an impressive fizzle, but with a parachute attached to it.
My guess is that he will have a parachute but will try not to use it. If something goes completely out of control, he'll be able to abort. Somewhat.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.outsideonline.com/2099906/how-survive-25000-foot-...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Surviving a 25,000 foot fall is simple.

Just make sure the plane is 25,010 feet up.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Crosby
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
The real XB
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Did you hear, Bryan died in the middle of writing a post to BGG?


Well, yeah, that's not particularly surprising is it?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that they tested the net with a manikin and it tore a hole, going straight through. Does not bode well.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XB_XB wrote:
davypi wrote:
Did you hear, Bryan died in the middle of writing a post to BGG?


Well, yeah, that's not particularly surprising is it?
That's why I never write the middle part of the post.

I only write the beginning and ending.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
I remember all of the hype that surrounded Evel Knieval's Snake River Canyon jump. That was an impressive fizzle, but with a parachute attached to it.
My guess is that he will have a parachute but will try not to use it. If something goes completely out of control, he'll be able to abort. Somewhat.

Yes, I cannot imagine that he really goes without. In case of emergency.

I came back from swimming in a 25 meter pool. So I have a picture. He dives into it from an incredible height belly down. In the last moment he intends to turn on his back to land safely into the net. No, too many things can go wrong. Cancellation seems most likely to me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
anemaat wrote:
MABBY wrote:
I remember all of the hype that surrounded Evel Knieval's Snake River Canyon jump. That was an impressive fizzle, but with a parachute attached to it.
My guess is that he will have a parachute but will try not to use it. If something goes completely out of control, he'll be able to abort. Somewhat.

Yes, I cannot imagine that he really goes without. In case of emergency.

I came back from swimming in a 25 meter pool. So I have a picture. He dives into it from an incredible height belly down. In the last moment he intends to turn on his back to land safely into the net. No, too many things can go wrong. Cancellation seems most likely to me.


The jump starts off as a tandem jump - he'll have two other skydivers with him until he reaches a certain altitude. Odds are one will have a mechanism to attach him to their chute, or pass him a second one. I don't think he'll have a parachute, because that wouldn't break the record - there have been recorded instances of people skydiving without their chute opening and surviving.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I predict hoses will be needed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

HALO: High Altitude, Low... Oops?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/skydiver-survives-jump-f...

Happy to be wrong. Especially when I read he has a wife and kid.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Banichi wrote:
http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/skydiver-survives-jump-f...

Happy to be wrong. Especially when I read he has a wife and kid.


Still a stupid thing to do, especially with having a wife and kid.

My message to this guy?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Luke. A bit irresponsible, but still ... Glad you made it.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a parachute and jump
My advice to Luke and all those who wish to follow him ...


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.