$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
33.7% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
If only I lived in NYC!

First corpse flower bloom at the New York Botanical Garden since 1939

According to the article, you also have a chance to experience a corpse flower if you live in either Bloomington, Indiana or Washington D.C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
What's better is that live feed of people smelling and taking pictures of said flower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Rollins
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
MABBY wrote:
Your chance to smell a flower that has the aroma of a rotting corpse!

The wax cubes at Walmart have gone too far...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was last year that one of these bloomed in Denver; it was all the rage. While an interesting curiosity, I never really had the desire to smell such a stench, so I didn't go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been to it during bloom.

While I've never smelled a rotting corpse, that might be about right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Pittsburgh has one at our Conservatory as well. It bloomed about two months back. It's named "Romero" after the director of Night Of The Living Dead.

Here is a photo from the previous time it bloomed, which was 2013:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
\m/ Stoner Rock \m/ (Joe)
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you didn't air out your dangly bits for 70 years, you'd probably smell pretty rank too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
In a somewhat oddly related note...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of years ago we had one of these bloom at the old botanical gardens in town.

It was a windy day though, so I couldn't get a whiff of the thing to confirm if it did smell like rotten corpse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If New York is too far away, I've got a compost pile that would give it a run for it's money devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mb
We've got a miniature one in our garden, planted by the owners. It bloomed this year. The owners were gutted they missed it. We were gutted we didn't. Blimey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get why the flower does this - presumably the aroma would attract flies, etc, to the plant, therefore assisting in pollination.

...what I don't get is why folks like to go experience this. To me, it's akin to finding really old milk in the fridge, having it fail the smell test, and then passing it around to the rest of the family "Oh, holy cow, this smells awful, here, smell this!" "Uh, no thanks... I'll take your word for it!"

I'm all for new experiences, but there are a few I'll pass on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
...what I don't get is why folks like to go experience this. To me, it's akin to finding really old milk in the fridge, having it fail the smell test, and then passing it around to the rest of the family "Oh, holy cow, this smells awful, here, smell this!" "Uh, no thanks... I'll take your word for it!"

When somebody tells me that something smell gross (like spoiled milk, for example), my first reaction is always "Let me smell it too." I hate not knowing what something smells like, even if it smells bad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:

When somebody tells me that something smell gross (like spoiled milk, for example), my first reaction is always "Let me smell it too." I hate not knowing what something smells like, even if it smells bad!
I'm the complete opposite. Whenever someone asks me to smell something, my guard goes up and I ask "Why?" If the answer is "Because it's really bad!" there's no reason I need to smell that.

Part of that might be that I have a really sensitive nose. I'm often bothered by smells that no one else notices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
I get why the flower does this - presumably the aroma would attract flies, etc, to the plant, therefore assisting in pollination.

I'm all for new experiences, but there are a few I'll pass on... :)

I went because I was interested in seeing a gigantic huge flower, and it certainly was that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.