Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicolas Dujovne
Chile
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,

I have been playing the game for like 2 months now, but i still have a couple of questions / clarifications about the game. Hope someone can help me out with this. I have the game in spanish, so maybe there is something lost at translation.

1. David Garcia's ability: he can use it as many times you want per turn. Is that right? His ability doesn't mention that he can do it only once per turn, and he can only keep one of the 2 cards.

2. When played, event cards go to the garbage or you remove them from the game?

3. Placing zombies: I'm pretty sure we have been doing it right, but i still want to check. If you have for example only 4 spaces for zombies, all of them with barricades and you have to place 2 zombies, since the rules say the zombies arrive one by one, the first will remove a barricade and the second one will be placed in the space left by the barricade just removed. Is that correct? (The alternative would be to remove 2 barricades and no zombies placed at the location).

Thank you!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ndujovne wrote:
Hey everyone,

I have been playing the game for like 2 months now, but i still have a couple of questions / clarifications about the game. Hope someone can help me out with this. I have the game in spanish, so maybe there is something lost at translation.

1. David Garcia's ability: he can use it as many times you want per turn. Is that right? His ability doesn't mention that he can do it only once per turn, and he can only keep one of the 2 cards.

2. When played, event cards go to the garbage or you remove them from the game?

3. Placing zombies: I'm pretty sure we have been doing it right, but i still want to check. If you have for example only 4 spaces for zombies, all of them with barricades and you have to place 2 zombies, since the rules say the zombies arrive one by one, the first will remove a barricade and the second one will be placed in the space left by the barricade just removed. Is that correct? (The alternative would be to remove 2 barricades and no zombies placed at the location).

Thank you!!

1. I forget his card's text.

2. Event cards are removed from game after play.
3. First zombie and barricade disappear, second zombie placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmreed wrote:

Wait did this get officially stated? I thought it was determined in a very early BGG thread that event cards go in the garbage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, you may use it every time he searches
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
wmreed wrote:

Wait did this get officially stated? I thought it was determined in a very early BGG thread that event cards go in the garbage.

According to this thread, the printed rulebook says "When an event item card is played it is not placed in the waste pile, instead remove it from the game." but that line is missing from the PDF version of the rules (which is the only one I have access to right now, so can't verify)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Can't believe I've been playing that wrong this whole time. I learned the game with the PDF which was missing that line and I've only ever used the rulebook for reference purposes. Thanks, Jeff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
Wow! Can't believe I've been playing that wrong this whole time. I learned the game with the PDF which was missing that line and I've only ever used the rulebook for reference purposes. Thanks, Jeff!

Events are simply not trash. That should be obvious. The trash can in the game is a trash can. A place where you throw trash, not people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
thebaker1983 wrote:

Events are simply not trash. That should be obvious. The trash can in the game is a trash can. A place where you throw trash, not people.

There was a point in the evolution of the rules prior where events went into the trash. It was explained that you aren't throwing people in the trash (which should be obvious since they are in your colony...not in your garbage). Instead the event card going into the garbage represents all the waste a human being creates simply by existing to include bodily waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IdleHacker wrote:
According to this thread, the printed rulebook says "When an event item card is played it is not placed in the waste pile, instead remove it from the game." but that line is missing from the PDF version of the rules (which is the only one I have access to right now, so can't verify)

The PDF of the rulebook for The Long Night expansion says on p. 10, in the "Play a Card" paragraph:
Quote:
To play a card, place it on top of the waste pile. When an event item card is played do not place it in the waste pile but instead remove it from the game.

The second sentence is not present in this paragraph on p. 10 of the PDF version of the original game's rulebook, as you note, but it is present in my printed copy of the rulebook. Not sure why PHG hasn't updated the PDF with the correction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Dujovne
Chile
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone!

It makes perfect sense to eliminate the card from the game since events are not garbage, you are rescuing someone from the location you were in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.