Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a situation yesterday when a single explore action resulted in multiple long hallways being revealed, effectively adding three tiles in one phase. Two of these tiles had black arrows.

We opted to draw two cards, but I wanted to know if that was the official ruling.

Also, anybody have advice on the best way to expand from Ashardalon? I know this effectively means purchasing a new game, whether that be Ravenloft or another, but I wanted to know elements that combine best with Ashardalon? Temple? Ravenloft? That Drizzitz game?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Bartheus
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Villain phase 1 says that if you drew a tile with a black arrow, you draw an encounter. You are not supposed to draw several encounter cards in that step, even if you explored two tiles with black arrows.

IMO Castle Ravenloft is the best fit for WoA. ToEE is quite different and harder to combine with WoA and LoD is also a harder fit, More of my musings can be found here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mb
I'd have to have others weigh in, but I believe you still only draw ONE Encounter card. The Encounter's are tough enough as it is!

Any should be compatible. I think Ravenloft is more thematic, but Drizzt has more different types of tiles and gameplay. I haven't played ToEE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you draw multiple black arrows, you'll still only draw one encounter card. Drawing more tiles at a time just gives you a higher chance of drawing a black arrow, but getting more than one doesn't change anything.

In my opinion, the best game to add to Wrath of Ashardalon (WoA) would be Castle Ravenloft (CR), for several reasons.
- The treasure deck in CR is mostly instant effects, such as healing a hit point, getting a free move action, etc., and the treasures in WoA are all items. So combining the two gives you a great mix of both, so you're not constantly being overwhelmed by one type.
- I would also say the strength of the heroes and the monsters in both games are on par with each other. The monsters in CR have a wide variety of tactics amongst the different types, and I think the adventures and bosses of CR offer the most variety of any game.
- Also, the CR tiles are labeled 'Dungeon Tiles' just as they are in WoA, which allows you to mix them together as well, even though the artwork is different on the other side.

Legend of Drizzt (LoD) would probably be the second best game for me to recommend combining with WoA.
- The treasure deck is roughly 50/50 when it comes to instant effects and items, so you still get some variety when combining the treasures.
- The heroes in LoD are way more powerful than the other games, so they are not as easily swapped without adjusting the challenge, although the LoD monsters may be slightly more difficult. The adventures include some player vs. player scenarios if you're interested in that.
- The tiles in this game are (unnecessarily) labeled 'Cavern Tiles', so mixing with the 'Dungeon Tiles' of WoA can cause some problems if you mix them and are drawing from the top.

Temple of Elemental Evil (ToEE) would be the last one I recommend to purchase in order to combine, though it is very awesome as a standalone. The game uses the same game system, but was designed to be played as a campaign, so there are multiple things that cause problems with mixing this one.
- The heroes are the weakest of the bunch since they are made to power up throughout the campaign with a set of tokens that give additional powers that you can purchase.
- There are very few treasure cards that are not just an amount of gold, since this game has a town you visit between levels to purchase upgrades.
- The monsters are spread from weak to powerful since as yo play the campaign, you remove weaker versions of monsters and replace them with stronger versions as you go on in order to keep the challenge level up.
- The other three games come with tokens that has each of the bosses from that game on them, so when you play a level (or create your own) and want to use a random boss, you can draw one. This game does not include tokens for its bosses.
- The tiles are labeled 'Dungeon Tiles' once again, but all the tiles and cards in this game use the 5th Edition D&D logo, the other three games use the 4th Edition D&D logo. So when mixing things together, you will know what is from this game.

So anyway, those are my thoughts on them. Whatever you do, there are plenty of ideas and files in the forums that give you an endless amount of ways to combine and create for this series. And don't forget that you can also get the Dungeon Command series in order to add those monsters (and in one case, allies) into the game as well. Those include:
Sting of Lolth
Heart of Cormyr
Blood of Gruumsh
Curse of Undeath
Tyranny of Goblins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.