Subject: Loving Lursa and B'etor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a solo conquest with Lursa and B'etor and discovered the joy of Blackmail! For those who haven't had the pleasure yet, this is a skill that you might gain with these two. It acts like Diplomacy, but you get a bonus of +1 for each basic color of data that you have. This is a delightful simulation of these two rascals having information on people that they use to blackmail them into cooperation. Love it!

I'm setting up another solo with this ship. I found that, when you pay attention to collecting data, this ship can really excel at away missions. My problem was consistently that I lacked good shields and weapons. As a result, I had to forego a lot of space combat and/or take a lot of damage and use attack cards inefficiently. The next time I play, I'm going to try to overcome that deficiency with Advanced Actions and Undiscovered cards.

I really like the diverse nature of the four base set ships. The Captain Cards are all very different, and the skill sets give each one distinct and multiple paths for development.

In my view, this is one of the best games to come down the pike in a long time. Can't stop playing it, and as a lifelong Trekker, it really scratches the itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This used to be called "Glittering Fortune" in MK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your comment illustrates well why I love Star Trek Frontiers so much. (I also love Mage Knight!) I don't really get a picture in my mind what "Glittering Fortune" means. But when I think of Lursa and B'etor blackmailing people to get their way--yeah, I have a clear image of that. The mechanic of the skill, combined with the great imagination of the designers, fits the genre of Star Trek perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
I don't really get a picture in my mind what "Glittering Fortune" means.

I always thought Glittering Fortune is Goldyx impressing people with his hoard of mana crystals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
I think your comment illustrates well why I love Star Trek Frontiers so much. (I also love Mage Knight!) I don't really get a picture in my mind what "Glittering Fortune" means. But when I think of Lursa and B'etor blackmailing people to get their way--yeah, I have a clear image of that. The mechanic of the skill, combined with the great imagination of the designers, fits the genre of Star Trek perfectly.

Honestly, I still feel it's a bit bolted-on. In some cases it works better than others. The Duras sisters' power is one that fits well, but for every one that fits well, there's one that jars.

The MK setting isn't as well known as Star Trek, though, so even if they have exactly the same number of thematic tie-ins, ST will feel more thematic to most people than MK will simply by familiarity. I personally don't think the ST theme is done any better than the MK theme, but I recognize that Star Trek is Star Trek, and that means something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that we are mostly in violent agreement, in that Mage Knight has achieved a permanent spot as a fabulous game system--one that many of us will continue to enjoy and support.

As for Star Trek Frontiers, I think it's fair to remember that all we have so far is the base set. Hopefully expansions will soon follow that will reflect the evolving thoughts of both players and designers. ST:F will grow and will most likely develop its own distinctiveness. Or, perhaps as the Borg might observe, it will add MK's distinctiveness to our own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Turin - Milan
Piemonte - Lombardia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And remember that punch B'Etor on her face is like initiating a mating ritual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.