$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 125.78

7,483 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » General

Subject: I just don't get it! Gripes and Complaints rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After finally getting to play and finish The Asylum, I can honestly say I have no idea why so many people are gushing over this game.

While I don’t have a huge problem with the 4-6 hour disposable game concept, playing my friends copy made me realize that that amount of time is much shorter than I really thought.  I don’t think I would have ever bought it, but that is more just a personal thing than a problem with the concept.  My problem is that running through the game again after the 1st attempt kind of feels like work.  You’ve uncovered a large chunk of stuff already, and now you are just going through the motions until you hit a new section.  That feels unsatisfying to me.  It’s not like Eldritch Horror where you either succeed or fail against this particular setup of random elements.  Here you just keep doing the same thing over and over until you succeed.  Then you get to the end and…. Well, I’ll save that for my 3rd point.

It’s obvious this game is modeled after games like Myst and the woefully underplayed Zork Nemesis (albeit with way more NPCs), but Time Stories does something baffling to me that is not in its computer counterparts.  It has total dead ends that offer up nothing to the story.  But the paths to these dead ends (1 in particular) involve difficult challenges that make you feel like they lead to something important.  Then you complete them, and the joke is on you.  That seems like bad game design to me.  If you are going to have dead ends, at least have them offer insight to the story or reward you with more optional items or something.  I am aware there are such rewards in the game, but having any that do absolutely nothing feels like a terrible waste of time.  Especially when at the end…. 3rd point incoming.

What?!?  Score?  What do you mean a score, Bob?  This game doesn’t need it.  When I got to scoring it felt like I was being punished for taking my time and exploring the game space.  And on top of that, it gives you bonuses going into future games?  I understand that ONLY from the “Job” theme of the game.  As a game mechanism, it feels very unnecessary.  And similar to Pandemic Legacy, you don’t know the scoring conditions up front.  So you have no way to know what you need to do to score well.  It is sort of implied that you want to finish quickly, but that is so against the idea of an exploration/story game.  This game basically rewards you for NOT exploring everything.  That is just crazy to me.  You could argue that that score is the “fun” of it, but it is something that it’s source material never did.  When I’m playing a story, I don’t need to be scored.  I just want the journey to be fun.

I don’t think I would turn it down if my wife wanted to borrow the game and play The Marcy Case.  But I’m never going to suggest we play Time Stories.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Saari
United States
flag msg tools
mb
So, to summarize, you found the game to be so bad that if your wife wanted to play the sequel, you would.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oaklandsberg wrote:
So, to summarize, you found the game to be so bad that if your wife wanted to play the sequel, you would.


I didn't straight up hate it. I liked the story, but I felt some of the design choices were not to my liking. I gave the game a 5/10.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh it sucks working for a big corporation doesn't it? You are a fresh behind the ears new recruit and you want all the good jobs do you? Don't we all. Why don't you work on improving your skills more and maybe, just maybe, they may give you a better job to do next time. Its how this whole 'working for the man' thing works. As a new recruit you get the crap jobs because you don't have the skills to do the cool jobs...yet. And I don't know about you, but every time I worked for a big corporation they would rate my performance after a time and I was never satisfied with the results, so nothing new there.

You could go out and start your own T.I.M.E travel company to stop the world from destroying itself but I'm guessing you don't have a gazillion dollars...so for now we have to work with what we have - a boss that's a bit of a dick but at least he's letting us go back in time and try again even though we sucked the first time we went out. Some bosses would have fired us on the spot.


It's funny that you are comparing this brand new concept of a game to other computer games that are what? 10th generation? Give the game a break. It's finding its footing and will get better. There is nothing out there on the market like it and I am glad to have it on my shelf.

You should get better at sniffing out the dead ends. It comes with experience and can't be taught - you have to go through it to know what to look for next time.

And there is an underlying story developing, so if you don't play all the expansions you'll miss out on a lot of the story line.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
Ahh it sucks working for a big corporation doesn't it? You are a fresh behind the ears new recruit and you want all the good jobs do you? Don't we all. Why don't you work on improving your skills more and maybe, just maybe, they may give you a better job to do next time. Its how this whole 'working for the man' thing works. As a new recruit you get the crap jobs because you don't have the skills to do the cool jobs...yet. And I don't know about you, but every time I worked for a big corporation they would rate my performance after a time and I was never satisfied with the results, so nothing new there.

You could go out and start your own T.I.M.E travel company to stop the world from destroying itself but I'm guessing you don't have a gazillion dollars...so for now we have to work with what we have - a boss that's a bit of a dick but at least he's letting us go back in time and try again even though we sucked the first time we went out. Some bosses would have fired us on the spot.


It's funny that you are comparing this brand new concept of a game to other computer games that are what? 10th generation? Give the game a break. It's finding its footing and will get better. There is nothing out there on the market like it and I am glad to have it on my shelf.

You should get better at sniffing out the dead ends. It comes with experience and can't be taught - you have to go through it to know what to look for next time.

And there is an underlying story developing, so if you don't play all the expansions you'll miss out on a lot of the story line.


I don't have to give the game a break just because it's a new concept. That doesn't make the design choices I have a problem with ok. And I'm not even saying it should emulate those "10th generation" (whatever that means) games note for note. The game isn't without merit, and I like the idea of panoramic cards. I always enjoy skill tests. I like a lot of things it does. Just the things I don't like, I really don't like.

I don't have a problem with the corporate theme, and I even said the scoring makes sense in that context. It just feels wrong to me in this type of game.

The dead ends shouldn't be there in my opinion. I don't want to sniff them out. They are a waste of design and cardboard that could have been made into something interesting. Again, I don't want an adventure game to punish new for wanting to explore. Especially when there aren't any real story driven indicators (willing to admit I may have missed something) that exploring such and such an area is a bad idea.

I can tell there is an overarching story, and that intrigues me. And I may still get to see all that. Like I said I would keep playing it with my wife if she wanted to.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain. The third run through of the Asylum case was one of the most mind numbingly dull times I have ever had around a game table. I won't be playing this game again.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems the developers have a special sense of humor... Not everybody likes to be criticized by Bob. And even, instead of humbly fixing an incomplete and poorly written 1st edition rule book with their FAQ, they give you a particularly condescending Bob instead.

The dead ends of Asylum may be annoying but it seems the other scenarios don't do this as bad. I have played Marcy and about 50% of Dragon Prophecy. Marcy felt like a labyrinth, you have to look at many places to find the hints and keys you need. We overlooked some important clues in the Marcy case so we scored poorly, as we deserved. (If you play it, look at everything the game gives you. There is no such thing as unimportant flavor text).

POD is similar but kind of more opaque and time seems to be very scarce.

So, there is much less repetition in both expansions but I found the difficulty even harder. We don't care about the score, so it doesn't matter much to us. But it seems everybody else is better at the game, and this can sometimes suck. OTOH, we saved the world, and that should be good enough, even for Bob.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
My problem is that running through the game again after the 1st attempt kind of feels like work.  You’ve uncovered a large chunk of stuff already, and now you are just going through the motions until you hit a new section.  That feels unsatisfying to me.  It’s not like Eldritch Horror where you either succeed or fail against this particular setup of random elements.  Here you just keep doing the same thing over and over until you succeed.


FWIW, the next two scenarios (Marcy Case and Prophecy of Dragons) have less of a feeling of repetition. Also, the repetition in Asylum never really bothered me. Each run, different players looked at different cards/tackled different challenges, so there was always something new to do. This was also important because having different people looking at the same card can often reveal different clues.

Legend5555 wrote:
It has total dead ends that offer up nothing to the story.  But the paths to these dead ends (1 in particular) involve difficult challenges that make you feel like they lead to something important.  Then you complete them, and the joke is on you.  That seems like bad game design to me.  If you are going to have dead ends, at least have them offer insight to the story or reward you with more optional items or something. 


I can't think of any dead ends in Asylum that don't add to the story in some way. But, we may also be defining "dead ends" in a different way. There is definitely at least one path in the scenario that takes a while to complete and literally has a dead end. That one offers a lot of insight into the story, though. Conversely, there are other choices in the game that sort of waste your time, but I wouldn't consider those dead ends. They don't take up much time, and they're necessary for the game to really work. You can't have every choice/path be the optimal path.

Also, I disagree with your assertion that classic adventure games didn't have dead ends. They had plenty. Many more than T.I.M.E Stories, I'd say.

Legend5555 wrote:
What?!?  Score?  What do you mean a score, Bob?  This game doesn’t need it.  When I got to scoring it felt like I was being punished for taking my time and exploring the game space.  And on top of that, it gives you bonuses going into future games?  I understand that ONLY from the “Job” theme of the game.  As a game mechanism, it feels very unnecessary.  And similar to Pandemic Legacy, you don’t know the scoring conditions up front.  So you have no way to know what you need to do to score well.  It is sort of implied that you want to finish quickly, but that is so against the idea of an exploration/story game.  This game basically rewards you for NOT exploring everything.  That is just crazy to me.  You could argue that that score is the “fun” of it, but it is something that it’s source material never did.  When I’m playing a story, I don’t need to be scored.  I just want the journey to be fun.


Then ignore the score. It's nearly meaningless. And the bonuses that carry over to future games are unnecessary.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
Legend5555 wrote:
My problem is that running through the game again after the 1st attempt kind of feels like work.  You’ve uncovered a large chunk of stuff already, and now you are just going through the motions until you hit a new section.  That feels unsatisfying to me.  It’s not like Eldritch Horror where you either succeed or fail against this particular setup of random elements.  Here you just keep doing the same thing over and over until you succeed.


FWIW, the next two scenarios (Marcy Case and Prophecy of Dragons) have less of a feeling of repetition. Also, the repetition in Asylum never really bothered me. Each run, different players looked at different cards/tackled different challenges, so there was always something new to do. This was also important because having different people looking at the same card can often reveal different clues.

Legend5555 wrote:
It has total dead ends that offer up nothing to the story.  But the paths to these dead ends (1 in particular) involve difficult challenges that make you feel like they lead to something important.  Then you complete them, and the joke is on you.  That seems like bad game design to me.  If you are going to have dead ends, at least have them offer insight to the story or reward you with more optional items or something. 


I can't think of any dead ends in Asylum that don't add to the story in some way. But, we may also be defining "dead ends" in a different way. There is definitely at least one path in the scenario that takes a while to complete and literally has a dead end. That one offers a lot of insight into the story, though. Conversely, there are other choices in the game that sort of waste your time, but I wouldn't consider those dead ends. They don't take up much time, and they're necessary for the game to really work. You can't have every choice/path be the optimal path.

Also, I disagree with your assertion that classic adventure games didn't have dead ends. They had plenty. Many more than T.I.M.E Stories, I'd say.

Legend5555 wrote:
What?!?  Score?  What do you mean a score, Bob?  This game doesn’t need it.  When I got to scoring it felt like I was being punished for taking my time and exploring the game space.  And on top of that, it gives you bonuses going into future games?  I understand that ONLY from the “Job” theme of the game.  As a game mechanism, it feels very unnecessary.  And similar to Pandemic Legacy, you don’t know the scoring conditions up front.  So you have no way to know what you need to do to score well.  It is sort of implied that you want to finish quickly, but that is so against the idea of an exploration/story game.  This game basically rewards you for NOT exploring everything.  That is just crazy to me.  You could argue that that score is the “fun” of it, but it is something that it’s source material never did.  When I’m playing a story, I don’t need to be scored.  I just want the journey to be fun.


Then ignore the score. It's nearly meaningless. And the bonuses that carry over to future games are unnecessary.



I know the PC games have dead ends. I meant to imply that they at least resulted in interesting story bits and such. The literal dead end in Asylum offers nothing you couldn't have found out elsewhere.

If score is meaningless, it shouldn't be in the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the dead end in Asylum is stupid and only there to waste time and show the concept of the time travel but you'll be happy to here that there is not such a thing in the other szenarios.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
I know the PC games have dead ends. I meant to imply that they at least resulted in interesting story bits and such. The literal dead end in Asylum offers nothing you couldn't have found out elsewhere.


I think we disagree here:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The fate of the patients who disappeared is not really clearly explained anywhere else. Having to fight through the mutants fills in that info, and it adds a lot to the story, imo. Hitting the dead end was disappointing, but I was still glad we saw the real extent of the horror.


Legend5555 wrote:
If score is meaningless, it shouldn't be in the game.


It's not meaningless. It's *nearly* meangingless. And that's just in my opinion--I'm sure there are lots of folks who really enjoy getting a score at the end. I was just suggesting that if the score bothers you, you should ignore it. It won't have any impact on future games, really, and it's not worth getting too worked up over it.

Edit: forgot to add spoiler tag
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerardo Paz
msg tools
I don't understand why people were so upset with the dead end in Asylum when the game clearly tells you so.

For everyone who said that the exit area were a waste of time, you are indeed correct but if you payed attention to the conversations and story then you know that it was a place not worth going to.

For one all the doctor notes talked about the importance of the crypt and simply bypassing it means you're intentionally walking by a huge story point especially if you have all the needed pentagrams.

Meanwhile the nurse in the dorms who opens up the catacombs mentions that its a path to ESCAPE the asylum. Logic has it if you go deeper through the routes that you will find your way out and your players do end up going outside. However the base cards (which you need to read first and stay near the board as to remind all players) states that your objective is to prevent the creation of a temporal fault. No where in your objectives does it state you need to escape the asylum.

With these details in mind I find it frustrating to see so many people complain about the dead end where the patients escape like its unfair that they found a dead end or just a segment where such an ending exists when it was already mentioned in the game's text.

7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GForce4sa wrote:
I don't understand why people were so upset with the dead end in Asylum when the game clearly tells you so.

For everyone who said that the exit area were a waste of time, you are indeed correct but if you payed attention to the conversations and story then you know that it was a place not worth going to.

For one all the doctor notes talked about the importance of the crypt and simply bypassing it means you're intentionally walking by a huge story point especially if you have all the needed pentagrams.

Meanwhile the nurse in the dorms who opens up the catacombs mentions that its a path to ESCAPE the asylum. Logic has it if you go deeper through the routes that you will find your way out and your players do end up going outside. However the base cards (which you need to read first and stay near the board as to remind all players) states that your objective is to prevent the creation of a temporal fault. No where in your objectives does it state you need to escape the asylum.

With these details in mind I find it frustrating to see so many people complain about the dead end where the patients escape like its unfair that they found a dead end or just a segment where such an ending exists when it was already mentioned in the game's text.



There is no way to know that going down those paths isn't needed to to achieve the goal. You don't know what is causing the temporal issue. All you know is that it's IN the asylum. How am I supposed to know that this path doesn't contain something I need to achieve my goal?

And it doesn't change the fact that that path is pointless. Don't put something a story game that doesn't actually advance the plot. Or at the very least reward you with some interesting information or items. Sure you get some info as to the fate of the residents, but that is entirely unnecessary. It could be done through clues, notes, or an encounter that is involved in the main objective. Setting it up as a total red herring (the obviousness of which is questionable since I don't seem to be alone here) is just bad game design in my opinion. All it does is waste a bunch of time and results in a feel bad moment.

I wasted all this time, possibly killed my characters, and.... Nothing. The game wastes all these components to achieve nothing. I don't appreciate being sort of goaded into thinking this path will reward me for the challenge that is set up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The dead end in Asylum is terrible and has actually has a lasting effect on our approach to the game, leading to me almost turning away from the RIGHT path in future adventures. Any time a path is longer than 2-3 cards, I want to turn around because I can't "trust" the game.

Its just too long. Its ok to have a "waste" card at a location, although even those work better when there's a clue or minor useful item at the end of them, perfectly skippable but not completely wortheless, but to have an entire location be a dead end is just ugh.

People are raving about Time Stories because they either never played the PC games it based on, or all their time spent with Choose Your Own Adventure and point-and-click PC games was alone, and now they're getting to experience it WITH someone. I appreciate that this can get 4 people to the table. I think all 4 adventures so far are pretty mediocre with some highlights and some missteps but overall, I am fully on board the Time Stories experience. I'm even willing to be the fanmade stuff will be better because they won't be afraid of making it too challenging.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your 2nd point ties into the 3rd. I agree with the silly dead ends part. There are a couple that are not telegraphed in any way. I don't mind it much, but I expected more of a reward, even if a non-mandatory one.

The dead ends are clearly meant to waste time, and the game stresses that the goal is to finish the game as quickly as possible. But that goes against the very nature of the game: once you're done with it, it's over, so you probably want to explore and enjoy the ride. That's what my group did, we saw everything, and our rating suffered for that. Even so, I usually really like co-op games with scoring, even if this one screwed us up for giving no points for the Cube item. We went out of our way to get it late into the run, losing 8 TU in the process, I think it should be worth a few MP in the end.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Wood
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I write this after finishing PoD. While I value the fact that you are entitled to your opinion, I have a completely different one. I don't feel like you should be rewarded for making mistakes. Your decisions led you to the dead ends. Really you only have yourself to blame. The game was intentionally set up that way. It invokes an emotional reaction based on your own decisions. This is pure genius on the designers side and is not an easy task to accomplish. In fact, to accomplish what Space Cowbys did to the degree they did is freaking out of this world phenomenal. It is too harsh to say it is a bad design. It is an extremely well thought out design. This is completely "opinion" to which you are entitled. However, your not entitled to a reward cause you choose to go the wrong way. The game is brilliant. I am going to continue to play it and I would suggest you do as well. The underlying story and emotional roller coaster inflicted upon the user is worth every $ spent!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Saari
United States
flag msg tools
mb
The fact that people are complaining about the game, yet still playing the sequels speaks to how good the game is, in my opinion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tyrellrwood wrote:
I write this after finishing PoD. While I value the fact that you are entitled to your opinion, I have a completely different one. I don't feel like you should be rewarded for making mistakes. Your decisions led you to the dead ends. Really you only have yourself to blame. The game was intentionally set up that way. It invokes an emotional reaction based on your own decisions. This is pure genius on the designers side and is not an easy task to accomplish. In fact, to accomplish what Space Cowbys did to the degree they did is freaking out of this world phenomenal. It is too harsh to say it is a bad design. It is an extremely well thought out design. This is completely "opinion" to which you are entitled. However, your not entitled to a reward cause you choose to go the wrong way. The game is brilliant. I am going to continue to play it and I would suggest you do as well. The underlying story and emotional roller coaster inflicted upon the user is worth every $ spent!


I'm not trying to say there has to be a BIG reward. Just something interesting at least, not just a big middle finger.

And I still think dead ends go against the spirit of this type of game. It wants you to finish quickly, but it has all this stuff to explore. If you finish quickly, you miss all of it. And playing through again just to see that stuff is now pointless. I think that is bad design. You have wasted components in the game that add no value if you are playing "correctly."

If the game didn't have this Quantum Leap, working for a big corporation, it all ties together theme, I don't think people would be as willing to accept these things I have a problem with.

I don't know why you put quotes around opinion. It would seem to imply that my opinion isn't valid.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oaklandsberg wrote:
The fact that people are complaining about the game, yet still playing the sequels speaks to how good the game is, in my opinion.


No it doesn't. People playing the game even though they have issues with it, doesn't mean the game is better than it would have been otherwise. People play games they aren't super fans off all the time because it is the right group or circumstance. I would only play it if my wife or group wanted to and they needed the extra player. The story can keep me interested enough to put up with the game for a session every now and then. But i still think the game is mediocre at best.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
But i still think the game is mediocre at best.


If that's the case, I think you should just avoid playing it. The next scenarios address some of your concerns, but I doubt you'll enjoy them any more than you enjoyed the base scenario. They'll probably just make you more salty about the whole thing.

It doesn't seem to be for you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
The dead end in Asylum is terrible and has actually has a lasting effect on our approach to the game, leading to me almost turning away from the RIGHT path in future adventures. Any time a path is longer than 2-3 cards, I want to turn around because I can't "trust" the game.



I really don't understand this desire to "min/max" the game. Just explore the path you want to explore; experience the game however it unfolds for your group. I love the dead end in Asylum because it is a sign that you can make poor decisions in the game--every choice won't lead you to the same place, and some choices might doom your run. That's an important feature if the game is to have any stakes, in my opinion.

And, there is no way to lose the game by taking too much time or trying too many runs. You may take a wrong turn and have to try again, but that's the worst penalty you'll ever face: more playing (which should be a good thing, right?). Meanwhile, you've had the additional experience of your wrong choice, getting a bit more story or context about the world, and sharing that experience with your friends. I don't see how that could be "terrible."

I guess the min/max mentality is tied to the arbitrary score at the end of the game, but it surprises me some people are so focused on that. I imagine the designers added it to avoid accusations that T.I.M.E Stories isn't really a game (which would be absurd), but it really is such an inconsequential element of the game. We've never used any of the end-game bonuses, and I think they are potentially a detriment to future scenarios--I'd much rather complete a scenario without any artificial "help."

My advice: just play the game and let it take its course. If you fall down, just have a laugh about it (or a cry) and try again. Don't be so obsessed about a perfect run. The people who fail or get low scores are ultimately seeing, experiencing, and playing more of the game, anyway.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't consider it min-maxing. I consider it playing to the nature of the game. The game wants us to TRY to be efficient. So I try to be efficient. If I really think something is a dead end, I won't go unless I'm outvoted.

I think I just disagree with the dead end in Asylum having any clues that it would be completely useless. The biggest problem with the dead end being long is that its possible that it wastes your time TWICE. You can get to it at the end of one run, but die or not finish it because its longer than you thought. Then do it again the next run just to find out its a dead end. Compare this to the plunger dance which you should have a good hunch is a 50/50 waste of time, but it kills the 5 time and thats it. You'll never go there again. And I would even argue that his riddle and clockwise movement is a clue for the big puzzle.

If you've played Prophecy of Dragons
Spoiler (click to reveal)
there's a smaller dead end which at least gives you a weapon, or some other time-wasty actions that give you story or items or even things like underwear that may randomly turn into gold later


I just think the total waste of time double-digit time unit wasting dead end is big betrayal of the premise. We're obviously meant to finish these in 2-3 runs. 4 max. If the scenarios were twice as big, then you can have a dead end of that size, although I'd still put better clues on it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
We're obviously meant to finish these in 2-3 runs. 4 max.


I am not sure actually, but maybe we re just particularly dense. We needed more runs for Asylum, Marcy and will need more for Dragons.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
Legend5555 wrote:
But i still think the game is mediocre at best.


If that's the case, I think you should just avoid playing it. The next scenarios address some of your concerns, but I doubt you'll enjoy them any more than you enjoyed the base scenario. They'll probably just make you more salty about the whole thing.

It doesn't seem to be for you.


Not sure how I implied otherwise.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
stevelabny wrote:
The dead end in Asylum is terrible and has actually has a lasting effect on our approach to the game, leading to me almost turning away from the RIGHT path in future adventures. Any time a path is longer than 2-3 cards, I want to turn around because I can't "trust" the game.



I really don't understand this desire to "min/max" the game. Just explore the path you want to explore; experience the game however it unfolds for your group. I love the dead end in Asylum because it is a sign that you can make poor decisions in the game--every choice won't lead you to the same place, and some choices might doom your run. That's an important feature if the game is to have any stakes, in my opinion.

And, there is no way to lose the game by taking too much time or trying too many runs. You may take a wrong turn and have to try again, but that's the worst penalty you'll ever face: more playing (which should be a good thing, right?). Meanwhile, you've had the additional experience of your wrong choice, getting a bit more story or context about the world, and sharing that experience with your friends. I don't see how that could be "terrible."

I guess the min/max mentality is tied to the arbitrary score at the end of the game, but it surprises me some people are so focused on that. I imagine the designers added it to avoid accusations that T.I.M.E Stories isn't really a game (which would be absurd), but it really is such an inconsequential element of the game. We've never used any of the end-game bonuses, and I think they are potentially a detriment to future scenarios--I'd much rather complete a scenario without any artificial "help."

My advice: just play the game and let it take its course. If you fall down, just have a laugh about it (or a cry) and try again. Don't be so obsessed about a perfect run. The people who fail or get low scores are ultimately seeing, experiencing, and playing more of the game, anyway.


It's not about min/maxing. I'm not trying to complete it in as few moves as possible. I'm trying to explore. If you put a bunch of stuff in a game to explore, then I should't be punished for wanting to explore it. That is bad game design in video games, and I think it's bad game design here too. I am punished by wasting in game time, real world time, and by the end result. If there was some sort of interesting Easter egg, information, or minor clue at the end, then it wouldn't feel as debilitating.

I wouldn't have even cared if I wasted a run doing it if I didn't have to try so hard to get there only to find literal nothing. Just give me SOMETHING! And the designers have still wasted cards for this "nothing" path that could have used to deepen the story.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.