Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you!
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks pretty cool. Really excited for a new Star Wars collectible game.

Can anyone who's played Dice Masters explain that a bit more and/or glean more gameplay hints out of the pictures/trailer? How much depth can one expect in a game like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I just noticed that the card backs appear to be the same (LS/DS), so while the article says when you build a team you can choose anyone as long as they are all DS or all LS, BUT for fun you could probably mix ALL of the characters up.

This looks like it might also work really good scaling up to 2 players vs 2 players games.

Can't wait to see what is all possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bogle
United States
Olean
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
its Destined to be great and I have a feeling even though the IDEA looks to be borrowed from DiceMasters this games "way of play" will be vastly different.We will see at GenCon. Ive now got stop #1 done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Sugiyama
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So based on what I've seen and a little bit of guessing. Each card is the layout probability of their own die as well as a built in effect. Luke Skywalker and Vader are my 2 favorites currently.

But it seems as though you build a team and deck separately. The team is based of a number both players set or is set for them by the game. The 30 card decks, I have no idea. Probably a playlet is 2 cards max.

Then on your turn roll dice, I assume the lightsaber is damage, the little companion cube box thing is "mana" to pay for cards in your 30 card deck. Everything else i don't know what its called but the symbols match card costs Ive seen. So I assume there are specific resources you must spend for card effects.

That's all I've seen and I can't guess at combat, shields or anything like that, even though those keywords are used on cards in the trailers. The most broken card i saw was the yellow attachment on Finn. States if he were to die, you remove 5 damage and discard the equipment card instead. Thats plain insane. Of course Luke draws 1 card every time you use him, so this game seems like a lot of powerful effects and fast games. I hope for the best because I WANT this game to do well.

Just what I've noticed from articles and card pics. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. I'm really curious to see how the card deck is constructed. Is there like set cards that come with a hero you choose? Like the 5 cards in the booster pack that come with, say, the Luke dice are all combo'ed with him and/or can only GO on him?

Or I wonder (and hope) if you can put anything you want in the deck and on who you want. At one point in the video trailer it looked like Vader had a Mandalorian jet pack equipped!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Sugiyama
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that you could play a jetpack on vader. The cards denote who they can be played on. So some say yellow only, or villain only or a specific red villain.

It all depends on the card and restrictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you could no that for casual play. I did notice that the jet pack card is Neutral so that would explain why the backs are all the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Millett
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this doesn't look anything like Dice Masters. The only common things between this and Dice Masters is that it's themed to an IP/Universe and it has both cards and dice.

Dice Masters is a dice pool building game - kinda like how Dominion is a deck building game. In Dice Masters you bring a team of up to 8 characters and 2 "basic action" cards. You start with only your basic "sidekick" dice to then purchase the other dice on your team and you build a pool of dice to draw from each turn. No hand or deck of cards - you pull dice from a bag each turn.

SW: Destiny appears to be more like a card game with dice. It sounds like you'll start out with a team of 2-3 hero characters (and their dice) and then you'll have a hand of cards to play from for effects or to bring other dice into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
Also, I just noticed that the card backs appear to be the same (LS/DS), so while the article says when you build a team you can choose anyone as long as they are all DS or all LS, BUT for fun you could probably mix ALL of the characters up.[...]

If you look at Fin's ability, he allows you to mix sides (he can have red DS cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cramill wrote:
SW: Destiny appears to be more like a card game with dice.

Yeah. I get the impression from some Dice Masters videos I've watched that in DM, the dice are everything. You're building through them and the cards are really only a reference.

Whereas, SW Destiny looks more like a normal card game; drawing the cards, playing cards, and just many cards when they take their action roll a dice to see which one of their abilities they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
If you look at Fin's ability, he allows you to mix sides (he can have red DS cards).

Yeah, I did see that a bit later. That's freaking awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.