Subject: First game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Very enjoyable 1v2 game.
Took 4 hours including teaching and food break.
Heroes take some time thinking and talking about how to solve problems.

I did stack one space with monsters and pentagrams. Heroes are able to throw themselves at it and die but take down objectives at the same time.
Game was very close. The card allowing the avatar to teleport won the sin the game.

Nicolas abilites are cool. Should be in core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How quick do you think games will play once everyone has the rules down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tero Martimo
Finland
Rauma
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Need more information!

Complexity level? Decision making? Fun favtor (important!)? Down time? Everything you can think of! I really want to get playing but as an European backer I need to wait :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously there was not proper enforcement of the decision making rule by the person controlling the Sin!

"DECIDE! OR I SHALL DECIDE FOR YOU! BWAH-HA-HA-HAAAAAA!"

**j/k, just find this rule amusing.**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
retoxidi wrote:
Need more information!

Complexity level? Decision making? Fun favtor (important!)? Down time? Everything you can think of! I really want to get playing but as an European backer I need to wait :/

You read the manual and you think this game is incredibly simple. Like Blood Rage, Eric has tried to make the game fast.

When you play the game, there are enough options that you are busy thinking about your decisions. As a Sin you need to decide when to react (move where and should I fight), when to use a Sin card, when to use the Acolyte. How do I stall them in completing this mission.

As a Sin player it is actually entertaining hearing the Heroes discuss their strategy. Add a dice to any game and fun things happen. It is fun pulling out the surprise Sin card that does something crazy and unexpected. Some Sin cards require some planning to be able to activate them.

The Heroes said good game even though they lost. Is scary for them not knowing what the Sin cards will do. They are trying to balance their corruption at 5 or 6 and hoping not to get forced corruption.

The shooter heroes are sometimes quite useless. Thus not every hero is awesome and you need to figure out how to make the weaker heroes useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
mavericklancer wrote:
How quick do you think games will play once everyone has the rules down?

The game has definitely been designed to be fast and simple. But there's still a lot of planning to do. Dice, Equipment cards and Sin cards always changing your plan. You could finish a game in 3 hours. If you play every day you could finish in 1.5 hours.

As a Sin player, Rose (Mind control) and her holy water equipment pick up (move monster out of her space) really messes with your plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wilkshire
msg tools
I had a game last night, and it probably took ~3 hours all up, Envy as the sin with Corrupted Firemen. The FAITH team ended up winning.

I had read half the rulebook ahead of time and already had a good grasp of the game, so teaching was a little easier, and rule lookups minimal. I would advise just picking a map and using Alpha team to start. It took my players 25 minutes to choose their team and while they had good intentions, it started the game on a bit of a low note.

There are a few unique mechanics that, at least in my group, were looked over pretty often. Taking corruption is a new concept to us, and I totally forgot about my Sin's power, allowing the FAITH team to get 5 pieces of equipment without taking wounds or team corruption! Also overlooked that faith results on dice can be used as any symbol. It'll take a couple of games to not miss a beat.

Another thing is that players don't actually have to fight a figure they land on. My players were however initiating just about every time, so I did not have to use reaction tokens to initiate fights myself. They still cleared really well, so the 'saved' reaction tokens didn't help too much. I definitely should have used them to move/position my other abominations though.

Action and reaction gameplay is great fun, and if anyone is worried, I can assure you that the Sin role is far from boring. I have offered to swap roles in future games, but am 100% okay if I only ever play Sins.

Plenty of dice rolling and randomness. I gibbed my younger sister rolling 11 hits (6 bursting dice), and later had my Sin and controller gibbed by her boyfriend using Doc. It was a shame I used the force reroll sin card earlier in the game!

Long story short, it is a fun game, Play flows pretty fast with minimal downtime being actions, and once you get a learning game or two out of the way, it should make for a rather tense game. I think 90 minutes would definitely be the average, plus or minus depending on the swing of random factors, and how AP prone members of your group are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I played Haven's Last Stand, Alpha team, Pride, Hobo.

Silly of me that I would often forget about Pride's special ability. DON'T FORGET! This is half the benefit of multiple Sin choices, the other half being the 6 unique Sin cards each offer.

I also forgot when I was at Apocalypse Track 6 that the Sin gains +1 die in Fights.

Note that even though Analysis Paralysis affects game length it doesn't make the game boring. It is not too big of a deal as this is a coop game and the Heroes are all communicating with each other. It's interesting as a Sin player to listen to them solving problems and hearing their strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Tip for the weaker Shooter heroes.

Depends on mission but in this case the Bruisers are trying to use both movement points to get to important objectives. They will take automatic wounds as they pass through monster occupied spaces.

Use the Shooter heroes to kill or even just lure the monsters away and pin them. Creating a clear path for the Bruisers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Leonardo
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just a question for people who played as the sins. Is Eric Lang right in saying the sins player doesn't have to hold back to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Ogazmoe wrote:
Just a question for people who played as the sins. Is Eric Lang right in saying the sins player doesn't have to hold back to play?
That is correct, you try to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All sounds great! Can't wait. Happy to hear more praise as I wait for my copy to get here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had my first multi-player game yesterday. definitely echo what everyone else says here.

Even though the game took 3 hours, no one felt it dragged. Lots of involvement, interaction, decision-making both on the FAITH team and the Sins player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.