GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 87.6
36.2% of Goal | 26 Days Left
Fremen may move 2 spaces. If the first is into a Bene Gesserit region, do the BG have to decide co-existence before the Fremen decide to stop or move a second space?
Yes they must decide before the Fremen may complete their move. Even if the Fremen already know what they'll do, it's good to make the BG decide just because this is DUNE.
A few notes to clarify:
1. It is Coexistence that is declared, not non-coexistence. Non-coexistence is only implied by not choosing to coexist. This is an important distinction. This is why it helps to provide markers to denote coexistence, but you don't need and in fact should not use markers to denote hostility.
2. It is also declared by territory, not token group. You can't have coexisting and non-coexisting BG tokens simultaneously in the same territory or stronghold.
3. If declared, coexistence persists in the territory until the next turn--even if everyone else leaves the territory or is killed. At the beginning of the next shipment/movement phase coexistence may be revoked if desired, but not until then. Otherwise the only way for coexistence to be undeclared is for all BG tokens to vacate that territory.
4. Coexistence must be decided immediately whenever BG tokens ship or move into any occupied territory, or when another faction ships or moves into a territory the BG alone occupy.
5. Coexisting tokens don't really exist for any game purposes. The only way to affect them is to have a lasgun-shield explosion during a battle in the same territory.
6. Spiritual advisers sent to accompany other faction shipments obviously must coexist, therefore they cannot be sent with shipments into any territory where there are already non-coexisting BG tokens engaged with another faction. If the shipment is to a territory the BG alone occupy, then the spiritual adviser may accompany given that the tokens there also declare coexistence. Remember rule #2.
Coexistence is fun and nuanced.
- Last edited Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:57 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:54 pm
Great answers, Matt.
We play one rule slightly differently, but I don't pretend that this is authoritative: In #6, I would rule that it's ok to send an advisor into a space where there are non-coexisting BG with another faction, but all the BG tokens already there would have to flip to coexisting as well, of course. I think the cases where this would actually matter to anyone would be quite rare, either way.