Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Betzelberger
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my second solo play of Xia. Both games I played with four ships, NPCs, and to 10 VPs. Thus far...I love it! I feel like I'm only scratching the surface. Here are some general thoughts from my early plays. Also, I'd appreciate hearing from anybody who's played the game out to 20 VPs, particularly on how the game-play changes and/or stays the same.

Observations:

1) Buying a good engine seems to be priority number one. The ships I equipped with the d12 engines won, or placed very high, both times.

2) The early game seems to be about building up some credits through trading, mining/salvaging, and exploration. My guess is that the game play after 10VP opens up opportunities for PvP conflict.

3) Successful attacks require you to catch ships outside planetary shields and low on energy.

4) Blasters seem very under-powered.

5) Dying is not that big of a deal for level one ships.

Questions/Concerns:

I have two big questions:

a) Does the game-play remain trading focused? I really want to love this game, but I hope it turns into more than gather cubes, move, sell, upgrade, buy a bigger ship, repeat.

b) Rules question: can you attack ships inside planetary shields if your ship is inside the shield as well?

Thoughts from the Geek are welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The upcoming expansion is going to seriously revamp how trading works (basically, you can't just run one or two types of cube, they'll run out). So it appears you're not the only one who sees that as an issue.

As for the planetary shield, I'm pretty sure you can - it's just the boundary itself that blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
A) I house rule that when you sell cubes, you randomly draw another in its place. This makes trading a bit more challenging and helps eliminate trade camping. No longer an issue. So, missions are just as important as trading.

B) Yes.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

3. It takes some players a very long time to grasp this.They will shoot at a shielded ship in dock, over and over, and complain that combat "doesn't work". "Low on energy" is indeed the key.

4. Blasters take less maneuvering if you intend to follow up with a ramming attack. Missiles are more flexible and do more damage, but often won't have enough activations to finish your prey off.

a. This is really up to you; you can trade the entire game if it suits you. If you want to be a pirate, though, you have to do some building up before you can start taking out the NPC's consistently. Players are harder to kill by that time, and won't usually be your main prey. You still fire at them when you get a chance, just to do annoyance damage and slow their progress.

Hope you continue to enjoy the game. The progression from 10 fame to 20 is much quicker than that from 0 to 10, as your ship is much better at getting you points, so you don't always get to a tier three, and you never get to use it as long as you'd like... but they are awesome to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Both games I played with four ships, NPCs, and to 10 VPs.
What do you mean by "I played with four ships"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
Quote:

4-handed solo, I assume.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Betzelberger
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
Quote:

Four-handed solo. I piloted four hopeful and beat-up space hunks-of-junk to varying fates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play that way all the time. When a ship upgrades it upgrades randomly. Without a house rule or using the economy rule from the expansion trading is really the best way. It also gets very boring very fast.

I almost always play to 20 points. You really can't build a good offensive ship until the second or maybe the third tier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the upcoming expansion has a robust solo game, and a lengthy multi-game campaign. You might enjoy it!

Edit: For clarity, I'm one of the designers, so I'm biased!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
Note that the upcoming expansion has a robust solo game, and a lengthy multi-game campaign. You might enjoy it!

Edit: For clarity, I'm one of the designers, so I'm biased!

Counting the minutes until it's on my table...thanks for what I expect to be THE solo experience of 2017!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's what I figured, but I just wanted to get it straight. So are you just playing the normal game, or using the Solo rules?

I figure that you are not, but I ask because I think you would like the solo rules. However I'm not sure playing with 4 ships will work with the solo rules. I'd love to hear Ira's opinion on that. In normal solo rules it's effectively a 4 player game, you against the 3 NPCs, and they're on a team. Why this wouldn't really work with playing 4 ships is due to how you interact with the NPCs.

Of course when you're playing a game by yourself, you can pretty much do whatever you want, cause there's nobody there to hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
The forthcoming solo rules to be published in tbe expansion involve a single player vs. the NPCs (either in a replayable standalone game, or a multi-game campaign).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Betzelberger
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
The forthcoming solo rules to be published in tbe expansion involve a single player vs. the NPCs (either in a replayable standalone game, or a multi-game campaign).

So excited about the solo campaign. As I've mentioned before, I love Xia and think it has quite a lot to offer in terms of gameplay. Looking forward to the expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.