11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Theory

Subject: Has this been done? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Bernardinis
Italy
flag msg tools
I've been working on a game with mechanics similar to those present in Settlers of Catan, with the addition of military units to conquer enemy settlements and cities. Of course there are many other changes, but that's the basic idea. Are there any games with similar gameplay? If so I might not even need to make my own game.
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.

There are similar ideas out there -- for example, Viktory II -- but why not experiment with your prototype anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Bernardinis
Italy
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply and for welcoming me here.

Viktory II seems like a really nice game, but not really what I was looking for. The map resembles Catan in a way, but there is virtually no ecomomic aspect.
The reason I'm asking is that I'm afraid I'm copying Settlers of Catan too much, adding mechanics from other games to form a hodgepodge with virtually no original ideas. If there is another game with similar theme and gameplay, I don't want to make a game that is almost identical.
Another thing that worries me is the fact that my game has both economic and military aspect and that the end product will lack focus. Catan is an economy focused game. CnK adds knights, but it's still economy focused. Viktory II is a war game. My project is in the middle.

PS. I need help for some names for elements in the game. Where should I ask for help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Where should I ask for help?

You are in the correct location now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Isn’t it the case in http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25234/catan-histories-str...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Long OOP but there is Mighty Empires which has the kingdom aspect and the war aspect.

And of course Pocket Civ on the PNP side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mare Nostrum: Empires is a game where there's both an economy aspect and a military one, with victory achievable via either means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe and Tiny Epic Kingdoms are two of the top of my head that have combat and resource management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Boguschewski
Germany
flag msg tools
It also sounds a bit compareable to Clash of Cultures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Bernardinis
Italy
flag msg tools
Thank for all your replies, and I apologize for replying this late. I thought I subscribed to the thread, but apparently i didn't.
I decided to abandon the project. I realized that, because my game library is pretty small, I was inspired mainly by videogames, which is not ideal. My game was full of clunky mechanics that work well in strategy videogames, but aren't great for board games. Not to mention there are games I'm more excited about than my own game, so it wouldn't make sense to even make it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mortesins01 wrote:
Thank for all your replies, and I apologize for replying this late. I thought I subscribed to the thread, but apparently i didn't.
I decided to abandon the project. I realized that, because my game library is pretty small, I was inspired mainly by videogames, which is not ideal. My game was full of clunky mechanics that work well in strategy videogames, but aren't great for board games. Not to mention there are games I'm more excited about than my own game, so it wouldn't make sense to even make it.

That's a shame.

I think that the only reason to not try making this game is because you aren't excited about the project.

If you do find something that fires you up, give it a go. It doesn't matter if it is not original (in fact, making a near-clone of something else can be an excellent learning exercise) or is full of clunky mechanisms and you end up abandoning it. Just making something playable, trying it out, and analysing what worked or did not, will teach you more about game design than any amount of reading or forum discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.