Subject: The Pocket Encyclopedia is INCOMPLETE??????? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Curry
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the Small World pocket encyclopedia today and was disappointed in less than 10 seconds when I saw that it does NOT contain information about all the races and powers. It's an ENCYCLOPEDIA, right? That means it should contain EVERYTHING, right?

Well, no, because it's missing the following:

- The 15 races and 21 powers from Underground
- The 3 races and 3 powers from Spider's Web
- The Necromancer from Necromancers Island

I don't get it. Why go through the effort of producing and publishing an ENCYCLOPEDIA unless it actually contains everything? WTF!?

Do I have unrealistic expectations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They consider Underground to be a separate game (which is dumb; I wish they'd support Underground better).

Spider's Web didn't exist when the Encylopedia was being made.

In fact, none of that content you mention is in the Designer's Edition. IIRC the Encylopedia doubles as the rulebook for the DE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on when it was Published I guess.

You can go pick up a complete set of the Encyclopedia Britannica from the 80's and it won't have anything in there on texting and lots of modern things. Same goes for this I assume. It was likely written before those things came out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Santa Fe Springs
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / OCBG Member
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
To the Admins: This should probably be filed under the entry for the SWPE in "Board Game Accessories".

All of the "omissions" you are decrying have been fully disclosed. What's "in" and "not in" the SWPE has been discussed on the KS page where it started and here on the BGG forums. (Not to mention the back cover itself.)

Yes, it's true, one might expect EVERYTHING to be included in the "definitive users guide". But it's also true that the SWPE was intended/designed to be used as the rulebook for the DE. It was made available on its own as a reward for KS backers, initially, and later through regular distribution channels due to public demand (mostly by those who missed the KS, I guess.)

As with any printed work, it IS made obsolete by that which follows after, but for those who own the DE it will always be perfect, since none of the additional expansions will *ever* be made available for that set.

Anyway, I've been thinking about doing a simple set of pages (in Word, etc.) to insert into the back of the book, for all of the races & powers that are not in there. Sort of an appendix. I would make it available to everyone else here (in the file section), of course. But, frankly, it would be a lot of work (without Eric, Jesse or Bryan) and I'm hoping someone else beats me to the task. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens www.spielefreun.de
Germany
Heinersreuth
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext is really cool. The best 100 GG I've ever spent.
badge
Well. I'm actually bored with overtext. Why did I give all that GG away?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well - there is one in german. Just without Necromancer and Leaders.
Small World Compendium

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JCurry wrote:

Do I have unrealistic expectations?

yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.