45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Custom inserts from £8 on KS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not related to the KS campaign other than being a backer but this is particularly exciting for us UK / EU backers as I've only seen such inserts made in the States.

See Game Store Pro by Optical Power on KS - I think the chap has been on BGG before as Mr Craft? (I don't think I'm allowed to post an actual link so I won't).

I have also posted this on the Eldritch Horror forum as that's the 'headline' insert but they aren't just for EH as different permutations are offered to fit any of the same sized boxes by FFG.

Inserts are ready cut, not press out, just assemble yourself.

(Edit: nope, not Mr Craft)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Kasper
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look really nice. I'm really thinking about purchasing two for my two core boxes. The Compaign looks a little poor to be honest. The Video is also not that great but who cares, the product is what counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I misinterpreted his previous comments that he was retiring for good, guess it was just taking a break. I still have my original 2 Mr Craft inserts, no complaints about them at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Holderman
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't find the Kickstarter help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
Type in 'Game Store Pro' in the search bar on Kickstarter

Sorry, not allowed to link it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
Thanks for the info!

Which ones are the best for LotR core sets? I've been planning on getting inserts for a while, but the prices where never right. This ones look greqt, but the multiple options are confusing me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Base 1 is the best fit but I think it gives 2 rows of cards and 1 row for components. Judging by the width of the dividers I don't think the box is big enough for 3 rows of cards. However to be sure I would ask the creator on the comments page, he is super helpful!

EDIT: Thanks to the posters below who have confirmed that the insert fits 3 rows of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Barnhouse
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just pledged for:

2 x Base Case 01
7 x set of 10 91mm dividers

Which will allow me to have 3 rows of cards in each of my core boxes and enough dividers to organise what I own. The creator confirmed that would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this.

TracyB wrote:
this is particularly exciting for us UK / EU backers as I've only seen such inserts made in the States.

It's worth noting that we do have this available and made in the UK: http://basicallywooden.co.uk/our-collections/game-box-organi...

Produced by a lovely couple who are engaging with the BGG community here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1587524/broken-token-uk-bas...

This is a lot cheaper though. I'm kind of torn now. The Basically Wooden insert has some nice functional trays for the tokens but you really can't argue with £8 (I'm assuming that 'off' on those diagrams should be 'of' by the way!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I saw the Basically Wooden ones but they were a bit pricey for me, plus I was put off by the fact that you have to press out the pieces from the sheet of wood whilst in this Kickstarter they are already removed.

I know what you mean though, by all accounts they sound like lovely people and I do feel somewhat guilty buying elsewhere. I'm blaming it on my own incompetence in assembly.

Edit: apparently 'off' is short for an engineering term but basically means offered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
I've just ordered some sets of case set 01 (it looks as though one of these sets = one core box) with all dividers at 91mm. Also ordered some spare sets of 91mm dividers at £1.03 each.

Pretty good value, should come quick, and hopefully solve my storage issue!

Thanks to the OP for posting this & bringing it to wider notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Say
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have just pledged to this as well.

Emailed the proprietor to confirm that you can configure the Base Set 01 with three columns at 92mm - which will just about take a LOTR:LCG card sleeved.

Four base sets @ £8 each and then £9 postage. Agreed with the proprietor he would swap out the 15 105mm inserts for 15 additional 92mm inserts so 30 in total which should give enough [I hope] for a Deluxe Expansion and then all 6 adventure packs in one column. So you can get three full cycles in a single box....

As it happens I only have the Core Set and the first three adventure packs but I am planning ahead for when I have all of them

Throwing out a general question - when you get more cards how do people generally organise their cards? By Sphere, by type [ie heroes, allies etc], by 'set' - how?

NB I guessed somewhat at the postage [to the UK] so don't quote me on that - I am waiting for the proprietor to get back to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TBJ_SS wrote:
I have just pledged to this as well.

I'm very tempted, and since I may be buying a big-box core of a couple of LCGs I'm going to have to sample some of the alternatives. Right now it looks like Go7 is my cheapest existing option though. But it would be nice to have them all in hand and compare quality.

The trick is figuring out what I exactly need

Quote:
So you can get three full cycles in a single box

For the hardcore that means all current LotR cycles in two core boxes
(Nightmare? What Nightmare?)

Quote:
when you get more cards how do people generally organise their cards? By Sphere, by type [ie heroes, allies etc], by 'set' - how?

I've just bought another massive stack of dividers exactly to tackle this for both Netrunner and LotR.

I definitely won't be sorting player cards by set (already have all encounters boxed up in 500/550 boxes with sleeves and dividers), but I think I'll go with something similar to my AGoT cards:
-Most heroes by sphere first
-Sphere sections, divided into card types, allies first
-Special heroes who have their own player cards grouped with those, so I don't forget to use special swords, mirrors, rings
-Saga heroes and their trappings in a saga box along with the related encounter/quest cards (two sagas per box; need to actually receive my orders to see how much space is needed)

I may go as far as racial segregation, just because finding the axes for the dwarves may be easier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little surprised
Mr. Craft
United Kingdom
SOUTHSEA
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hasn't shown up yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
Hey Guys,

Maybe I can clear things up a bit for you

The inserts are very similar to the Mr Craft versions as I was the guy that designed and make / made both types. Dan (Hildan) used to get them from me for retail sale.
The dividers on the new KS versions are interchangeable with the original Mr Craft versions.

Quote:
The Video is also not that great but who cares

I'm hopeless at making videos

Quote:
I still have my original 2 Mr Craft inserts, no complaints about them at all.

Thanks

Quote:
This is a lot cheaper though. I'm kind of torn now.

Explaining "why so cheap", I have a lot of lasers (16 at the moment), from 1300 x 900 to 3m x 2m with powers from 200 watts to 7,500 watts so cutting the inserts out is pretty quick. Materials wise because of other stuff my company makes we keep a lot of materials in stock. Typically 30 to 40 metric tonnes isn't unusual in the thinner sheets between 2mm and 6mm. The biggest problem with Plywood is the huge variations in thickness, I've had ply arrive that was bought in as 3mm only to find it varies between 2.6mm and close to 4mm, that's not much good when it comes to items that have to fit into very defined sizes so these and the earlier Mr Craft versions were made using high density fibre sheet.

Quote:
Yes I saw the Basically Wooden ones but they were a bit pricey for me,

These are wood too Tracy but a highly compressed fibre sheet, it's harder than ply but a little less flexible. What it does have is very tight tolerances on thickness and the sheets usually arrive with less than 0.1mm variation on them.

Quote:
Agreed with the proprietor he would swap out the 15 105mm inserts for 15 additional 92mm inserts

Happy to help, if folks want divider widths swapped out that's all fine with me. At the end of the campaign I'll drop people a quick message to check if they want the standard dividers or if they want to swap any out for other sizes. The only potential problem is weight but on swaps between the 105mm and 92mm dividers the difference is too small to matter.

Quote:
should come quick,

Even though the campaign shows a month or up to 2 months to be honest they are likely to be with UK backers inside a week or so of finishing and with EU backers in around 10 days. US and World backers items will be sent out at the same time but given the distances involved it could take up to 2 weeks for them to arrive.

I better get back to work and look like I'm doing something productive

thanks and best wishes

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools

3 Columns with 92mm divisions for LotR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
Been asked quite a lot about sleeved cards (95mm FFG sleeves)

It's done and added to the campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OPLS wrote:
Been asked quite a lot about sleeved cards (95mm FFG sleeves)

It's done and added to the campaign

Now we are talking.....thanks for throwing this one in the mix thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
Got Cthulhu Wars solution going up today

Marvel Legendary is done and is just a variation of the others with a 280mm width.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Say
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
General question to all re the 92/95mm configurations.

I asked the KS manufacturer to throw in a configuration to fit three columns of 92mm into the 288mm box. This was to allow me to - hopefully - store a complete cycle in each column - the exp and the six adventure packs. That was the hope. However having only just found this game I currently have only the core set and three adventure packs so I remain unsure as to whether this will actually work. Even more unsure if they will fit into a single column if I sleeve them?

Does anyone have a view?

I am asking simply becuase others seem to have asked for a configuraton to accomdate sleeving at 95mmm - this moves the configuration to two complete columns, some space in the middle column but laterally along with a 'dead space' in the middle. This sugests to me that you are guaranteed to not be able to store three cycles in this box.

Perhaps with this box you could store two full sleeved cycles AND the nightmare packs?

My intention is that I will eventually buy all the expansions, adventure packs and n/m decks so I am trying to think and order ahead on this KS all the storage I will ever need

Thoughts/comments/observations greatly appreciated.

One final observation/comment in that the KS manufacturer has thrown out a tempting offer to manufacture a bespoke box for all the cards.....no idea on price but do folks think this would be a better option long term? If so what configuration would you want? 95mm dividers, how many columns and how deep......someone with more idea of the number and size of the cards (with sleeves) might be able to work out the best/optimum sizing?

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
TBJ_SS wrote:
General question to all re the 92/95mm configurations.

I asked the KS manufacturer to throw in a configuration to fit three columns of 92mm into the 288mm box. This was to allow me to - hopefully - store a complete cycle in each column - the exp and the six adventure packs. That was the hope. However having only just found this game I currently have only the core set and three adventure packs so I remain unsure as to whether this will actually work. Even more unsure if they will fit into a single column if I sleeve them?

Does anyone have a view?

I am asking simply becuase others seem to have asked for a configuraton to accomdate sleeving at 95mmm - this moves the configuration to two complete columns, some space in the middle column but laterally along with a 'dead space' in the middle. This sugests to me that you are guaranteed to not be able to store three cycles in this box.

Perhaps with this box you could store two full sleeved cycles AND the nightmare packs?

My intention is that I will eventually buy all the expansions, adventure packs and n/m decks so I am trying to think and order ahead on this KS all the storage I will ever need

Thoughts/comments/observations greatly appreciated.

One final observation/comment in that the KS manufacturer has thrown out a tempting offer to manufacture a bespoke box for all the cards.....no idea on price but do folks think this would be a better option long term? If so what configuration would you want? 95mm dividers, how many columns and how deep......someone with more idea of the number and size of the cards (with sleeves) might be able to work out the best/optimum sizing?

Hello Stephen

I don't sleeve my cards but I can fit around 2.5 cycles (3+6) in one column. I suspect that if I sleeved, the amount would reduce to about 2 cycles per column.

Generally speaking you will run out of room probably quicker that you think. A way around this is to purchase more core boxes and more dividers for them!

I think that if you were to purchase everything currently available including all the nightmares, you would probably need around 3 boxes in total if you only have two columns.

I currently own everything except for the Grey Havens cycle and most nightmares, use 3 columns, and need just over 2 core boxes. I am keeping the spare columns in my 3rd core box for future purchases.

My suggestion to you is (if you love the game) to think ahead. Buy more dividers than you need, and prepare for more core box purchases!

Is that helpful?

DrJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Say
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
DrJ - appreciate the feedback.

Can you really get 2 1/2 cycles in a single column [92mm]?

The core set is 226 cards and I think the packs are 60 columns each so 360 [for six AP's] so 586 cards per cycle [give or take]. Which would mean 1,465 cards in a single column if you could get 2.5 in a column? Have I misread something because that seems like a lot of cards? Although you go on to say you have pretty much everything stored in two boxes so I guess it must be true - just seems such a lot of cards in one box!

In your storage solution are you using the plastic dividers or something similar to this KS? Those dividers must be 4mm thick so if 7/8 of them are used in the column then this would reduce the column space by 32mm as well?

I had thought of buying four of the storage solutions from the KS [the two column variety with the central unused space] but then switched to the three column 92mm solution for more space but got waylaid by the thought of sleeving the cards....and went back to the 2 column version thinking this would give me more room to get the card in/out of the box and I wouldn't have to sit there and stanley knife 3mm of every FFG sleeve I use....

Still unsure but am erring to the 95mm solutions and will just buy 5 of them....

Off on holiday to the States in three weeks and my plan is to buy every single Adventure Pack and Nightmare Deck I come across - I spend half my time on holidays in the US in Comic Book/Card stores.....and any money you spend on holiday isn';t real money anyway is it because you have already spent it in your head....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
Quote:
One final observation/comment in that the KS manufacturer has thrown out a tempting offer to manufacture a bespoke box for all the cards

To be honest it's pretty easy for me to do, while the dimensions change quite a bit for different boxes (Games like Cthulhu Wars and Kingdom Death) the actual work involved is very little in making dedicated boxes.

This was one for Dominion where the fella wanted 4 columns of 95mm wide and 53mm deep with an outer shell to contain all the cards.

It meant just building an outer 402mm square and making the Solution fit inside it all. From memory it was £29 without dividers some 5 years ago so now it would likely be £30 (+/- £1) plus post as materials costs haven't really changed.

Hope that helps

cheers

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
Sizes:

Top grade 320 GSM card is 0.3mm thick, (Fantasy Flight Cards are 320 GSM)

Each divider is 2.1mm thick

The standard FFG box outer is 250.2mm in usable storage length for each column.

Without any dividers that means you can get 834 cards maximum in the available space. Take off 34 cards to ensure you can actually get them out and that leaves 800 per column, for each divider used in that column subtract 7 cards from the 800.

In 92mm cards that will be 2,400 cards per box

For 95mm cards in the H layout the MAX space is 834 per column (2 columns)- 34 per column (800 + 800 = 1600) Plus the two smaller cross section rows @ 280 cards MAX - 34 = 256 cards in each of the H tops sections.

Total capacity without dividers is 800 + 800 + 256 + 256 so 2,112 cards.(this is for LotR sleeved cards insert version) - how ever many dividers you use at -7 cards per divider.

The Dominion case above in the pics holds 5,194 cards maximum minus movement space and dividers.

hope that helps

cheers

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
TBJ_SS wrote:
DrJ - appreciate the feedback.

Can you really get 2 1/2 cycles in a single column [92mm]?

The core set is 226 cards and I think the packs are 60 columns each so 360 [for six AP's] so 586 cards per cycle [give or take]. Which would mean 1,465 cards in a single column if you could get 2.5 in a column? Have I misread something because that seems like a lot of cards? Although you go on to say you have pretty much everything stored in two boxes so I guess it must be true - just seems such a lot of cards in one box!

In your storage solution are you using the plastic dividers or something similar to this KS? Those dividers must be 4mm thick so if 7/8 of them are used in the column then this would reduce the column space by 32mm as well?

Ah, you're keeping the cards together - I had a feeling my previous advice wasn't helpful. I split up the Encounter cards from the Player cards, and my calculations were based on this. If you do it as you do, then maybe one full cycle per column? I don't sleeve either (life's too short!)

In any case, once you get much beyond Khazad Dum (the 2nd cycle) you are going to need more storage - however you do it. As I said I've purchased an additional 2 core sets, and use the boxes to store the extra cards. There are other ways of doing it of course, but if you do expand your collection as you say, you may as well consider buying more core sets in the future, and so might as well invest in more dividers now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.