Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the clickbaity title. It seemed appropriate for my mood and attitude towards the internet today.

I am interested to see how people have gotten on so far with the games that they acquired through the Maths Trade. Not issues with games not being in the condition that they were said to be in, and not delays in shipping etc but which games have you played...what did you think of them...will we see them i a future Math's Trade?

Games I received:
Shadows Over Camelot - Yet to be played, read the rules several times, it is first game to be played next Saturday at my birthday game day. Really looking forward to it. YET TO PLAY
Artifacts INC - Played this the most. Took me a couple of plays to figure out some of the rules, but now that I have got it down I really like it. Red Raven games are bookmarked now. Wish I could support the Far and Near campaign. KEEPING
Biblios - First play fell flat. Second was good but not amazing. Like the game and think that if I played it a few times with the same group it would develop a little more. KEEPING
Hollywood Blockbuster - I have read the rules, but it has found itself relegated to the back of the game shelf. TRADING
Forbidden Desert - I think I like Island more, but after a couple of plays of this I am happy to keep it. Better than Pandemic in my opinion, but not as good as Island. These games I usually play with non gamers as the co-op nature makes it easier for them to play a game with rule sets they are not accustomed too. KEEPING

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollywood Blockbuster is worth playing, this reminds me I should get mine out again.

And Shadows over Camelot.... Give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amyitis - YET TO PLAY
Briefcase - KEEPING
Uchronia - KEEPING
Gloria Mundi - YET TO PLAY This was a mistake - I decided I didn't want it and yet it ended up in my trade list anyway. Probably TRADING
Core Worlds - KEEPING
Cthulhu Realms - KEEPING
City of Iron - KEEPING, YET TO PLAY, but looks like the sort of thing I'll like.
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age - KEEPING
Gloom - KEEPING
Building An Elder God - TRADING This is a bit MEH TBH. It's OK for kids at the library etc, but I won't be doing that as much now obvs...
Port Royal Gambler - KEEPING
Doctor Who Role Playing Game - KEEPING
Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space - MAYBE This was also a mistake - I put this in instead of the other Dr Who. I might keep it just as a historical / classic game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Anderson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Sam, Hollywood Blockbuster (or Traumfabrik) is a good game. It fits as both a gateway game and a strategy game for experienced gamers. Just don't take the final scores too seriously (just the places) - winners tend to win by large margins.

New England Railways got played within 48 hours of receiving it. An interesting prequel to Age of Steam that my fellow players found too different for their tastes

Field of Glory: The Card Game is slightly more complicated than most of the 2 player games Anne and I play, but it will probably find its way onto the roster now and again (but won't knock Battle Line off its perch).

Linwood was a consequence of my typo and still on my yet-to-played pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel G
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TransEuropa - played this a few times, recalling enjoying it (even though I usually come within a couple of steps of connecting the last city. Definitely keeping.
Icehouse - thus far I haven't played it, though stacking and restacking the pieces kept my 3 year old nephew happy for a while a few weeks ago. I had played some Icehouse games before so definitely on the keep list. Canasta Caliente, on the other hand, which was a "bonus item" in this trade, may find another home.
Zooloretto dice - this was a bonus which I forgot was included in another trade item. Nice light fun game.
Star Realms - I'd wanted this for a while, so really pleased to get a copy and be able to play outside of the app. As its only 2 player it's only been played a couple of times, but I recently picked up Colony Wars, so once merged can be 3-4 players.
Dominion Guilds and Dominion Alchemy - played with Guilds a couple of times, haven't played with Alchemy yet (as the box went missing for a while due to a highly entertaining "helpful" neighbour.)

Good to see you're enjoying Artifacts Inc, clearly yours is a far better home for it than mine was!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cash - all spent, mostly on kebabs
5 Tribes - love love love, never parting with
Witch's Brew expansion - yet to play, but delighted to have
Heroes Wanted - yet to play, but my son loves making heroes with it so it's a good investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From last year's maths trades:
Glory to Rome LOVE it!
Santiago great 4-5 player game. Fell flat with family, but thoroughly enjoyed at our monthly games group.
Clans, China - looking to trade. Kingdom Builder fills this niche in my collection for now.

From this year's trade:
Kingdom Builder keeping. Most people I play with have enjoyed it.
Raid the Pantry first kiwi game in my collection. Might trade it for another kiwi game like Linwood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for asking, Nick. This is a good way to see where everyone is at.

Legends of Andor - Great game. Quite mathy, but very fun. A keeper (especially as it is hard to find in NZ - only copy I can see is $122). Have already purchased one expansion.
Zombies!!! - Unplayed. Looking to trade/sell. Good swap value-wise. Artwork is too gory for us. I do like the idea/mechanics though.
King of Tokyo - Sold. Due to a fault of mine, I swapped this for Myrmes. I would like this game but thought I'd sell this while it was worth what it is currently and get a cheaper one later on.
Courtesans of Versailles - Unplayed at this point.

Interesting to read everyone else's stories

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
Hollywood Blockbuster is worth playing, this reminds me I should get mine out again.

And Shadows over Camelot.... Give it a go.

Shadows over Camelot is the one I have tried to get played a number of times, but it never quite worked out with the groups or timing of the game. I will have a game savvy group together on Saturday and we will definitely be trying it out. It is most likely a game I will be keeping.

Hollywood Blockbuster was a game I was keen on but I am not super excited to play it now that I have it. If I have a group that would likely play it, there are other games I and they would prefer to play I think.

ratesjul wrote:

Star Realms - I'd wanted this for a while, so really pleased to get a copy and be able to play outside of the app. As its only 2 player it's only been played a couple of times, but I recently picked up Colony Wars, so once merged can be 3-4 players.

Good to see you're enjoying Artifacts Inc, clearly yours is a far better home for it than mine was!

Star Realms gets a lot of play in my circles. Just got the Colony Wars expansion and am gearing up for a couple of 4 player games this Saturday.

I could see how Artifacts would not be for everyone (if that is why you traded, but I am glad to have it. Unlike anything I have and deceptive in how many choices it offers you with so few cards. I will admit though it was not the easiest game to LEARN to play.

Lorado69 wrote:
Thanks for asking, Nick. This is a good way to see where everyone is at.

Legends of Andor - Great game. Quite mathy, but very fun. A keeper (especially as it is hard to find in NZ - only copy I can see is $122). Have already purchased one expansion.

Yer welcome

I am looking forward to playing Legends of Andor with you. Stop being so busy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
You mention Biblios
Very popular with players in Christchurch some years ago. Interesting mechanics, and a starter, filler or end of evening game. It's about timing, but I'd persist with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
You mention Biblios
Very popular with players in Christchurch some years ago. Interesting mechanics, and a starter, filler or end of evening game. It's about timing, but I'd persist with it.

I fully intend too. It is a unique theme...interesting mechanics. I just need to play it more to understand its intricacies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taylor
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea for a thread!

D-Day Dice: Have played this twice solo and enjoyed it thoroughly. I may try it with a group, or just have it as a favoured solo game (alongside Friday). KEEPING this one.

Queen's Necklace: YET TO PLAY, but definitely keen to do so in the future.

Stone Age: The New Huts: I haven't played the base game since the math trade but will use these the next time I do. Thus, KEEPING.

Swords And Bagpipes: YET TO PLAY, but this is the game in my collection that I want to discover more than any other.

Kingdoms: YET TO PLAY this copy, but I've played the game before and enjoyed it...which is why I chased it in the math trade.

Kingmaker: This game was GIFTED shortly after receiving it. (That was the sole purpose of trading for it.) It got played for the first time by the new owner this weekend. I loved it. Sure, it has a few rough edges that we might house rule in the future, but it has held up well after 40 years. Some of the power swings and dramatic changes of fortune - as well as the political machinations as we negotiated - were just so...medieval. Brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesbass wrote:

Swords And Bagpipes: YET TO PLAY, but this is the game in my collection that I want to discover more than any other.

Played this once with Lenny, he had all the kickstarter rewards like the wooden castles etc. I liked the game a lot. It was a game I would definitely play differently the second time. My predilection towards backstabbing in games was my undoing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Porus Reign
New Zealand
Tauranga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Post Human: Played twice, bit disappointed, not the game I expected. Interesting concepts and execution is good but I was hoping the player mutated as they journeyed rather than mutating and switching sides all at once. SHOULD PROBABLY TRADE.

Descent: Played a couple of test games. Now that the app is available could play more. KEEPING FOR WHEN THE DUNGEON CRAWL MOOD STRIKES.

Blueprints: Play a good handful of times. Not as good as SHUT UP & SIT DOWN thinks, but it certainly has it's place. KEEPING

Ticket to Ride: The Card Game: Oh what a mistake! Had no intension of getting this. I thought it was Ticket to Ride. Swore off math trades forever after this. (But did participate in the next one anyway) So annoyed I have this game that I don't like to think about it. TRADING IF I CAN BARE TO THINK ABOUT IT

Robinson Crusoe : A great trade. Played multiple times. Still not sure how good a game it really is but enjoy the option of getting smacked about on an island every once in a while. - In fact played the Cannibal Island scenerio this weekend and died so quickly it took more time to set up and tear down than it did to play. KEEPING

REX: Another good trade. Always have fun when I can get it to the table. Although, someone in the game always, inevitably, has a horrible time. Them be the breaks. KEEPING

Carcassonne : I needed this staple though I think its only been played two or three times. KEEPING
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzanne P
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last years trade was not a good one for me
Pandemic: had not realised it was first edition, so missing a lot of the things I expected TRADE
Agricola: again, naive and not reading well, I traded a near new shadows over Camelot and got... A German edition of this game. Oops!

This year:
Nuns on the run: loving it! Keep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Waenink
New Zealand
Whangarei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hadn't realised just how many games I had traded for in the last two years and with a great success rate since there are few I would turn around and put back up for trade.

2016 MATHS TRADE

Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy Played and keep (maybe). I had previously played this game and knew that I liked it. The last game from our newly acquired trades to finally hit the table. My wife did not enjoy it but it will stick around for now.

Innovation Played(more than a dozen times) and KEEP. Innovation has been a real hit especially with some the guys. I really enjoy Glory to Rome and so I would have been surprised not to have enjoyed this game by Carl Chudyk. Already picked up and played the expansions.

Two by Two Played and keep. I had made a mistake (transposing digits or something) and another game was heading my way. Rowan kindly swapped that game for this one and it has been a hit with the kids.

Mystery Rummy: Escape from Alcatraz Played and keep. I think that this is my favourite in the series. This trade also came with Desperados (keep) and Looting London (keep) which have both been hits with my in-laws.

Factory Fun Played and will trade. I really want to like this game but it hasn't been as fun as Pack & Stack which has a few similar mechanics. Likely to list next time or add to the games I will be selling soon.

P.I. Played and keep. This game fell flat when it came out at a gaming night but it has been fun two player with my wife.

Timeline: Discoveries + others. Unplayed and keep. I had no intention to play the discovery games as is but rather to add to Timeline Challenge as expansion cards. I highly recommend Timeline Challenge as a time based trivia game.

Amazonas Played and keep. Good game with the family. Similar to Ticket to Ride but less cards for the kids hands.

Yardmaster: Express Played and keep. A quick and simple game that can be played during or after dinner. Not much to the game but enjoyable.

Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension Played and a definite keep. I would have probably purchased this game if the trade did not come through. My ideal kind of filler.

Lanterns: The Harvest Festival Played and keep. A light evening filler game.

The Builders: Middle Ages Played and undecided. I found it hasn't played as well two player and I always forget about it since it is in a tin which doesn't sit on the shelf.

2015 MATHS TRADE

Alea Iacta Est Played and keep. Great dice game. I even made custom bags for it.

Morels Played and keep. Acquired to help my son appreciate mushrooms. The ploy worked for a month or two.

Viticulture Played and keep. Needs to hit the table more.

City of Iron Played and keep. The game that started my deep appreciation for games from Red Raven and Ryan L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a great maths trade. I cleaned out a bunch of games (about 10 as I threw a bunch of small ones in as sweeteners) and got cash in return for all but one. The one exception was a gift voucher, which was used to help purchase Concordia and Concordia: Salsa, which is a nice, albeit somewhat bland eurogame. Still, I've enjoyed playing so will be keeping it for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
NickWatt wrote:

Hollywood Blockbuster - I have read the rules, but it has found itself relegated to the back of the game shelf. TRADING

Update on this: Played it this morning for the first time, easy enough to understand rules wise and game play seems like it will not really vary much between player counts at all. Unique theme, game play that I do not have represented in my collection already. Most of all it is fun! - KEEPING
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
You mention Biblios

Seems to have fallen rather flat with the groups I have played it with. People like it good and well while playing, but it does not get requested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.