Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rick haroutunian
Canada
Georgetown
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think I know the answer to this question, but, I am asking anyways.

When you draw a nightmare card you need to resolve it as usual as well as discard a placed tower card unless you do the false destruction.

My question is this.

If I play a key card and trigger a prophecy and I happen to draw a nightmare and choose that as the card I want to discard, do I still discard a placed tower unless I do a false destruction?

I'm assuming the answer is yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say no. You're just discarding it then, not resolving it.

If you draw a Nightmare and then play a key to resolve it, you do discard a placed tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
I'd say no. You're just discarding it then, not resolving it.

Exactly. When you discard a card as part of a prophecy, it just goes into the discard pile with no effect whatsoever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rickjunyor wrote:
If I play a key card and trigger a prophecy and I happen to draw a nightmare and choose that as the card I want to discard, do I still discard a placed tower unless I do a false destruction?

I'm assuming the answer is yes.

Just as you're not drawing the card and not resolving it an a regular game, when discarding it through a prophecy, you don't with the tower expansion either.

You have to understand that nightmare cards are resolved when you draw them, meaning here adding them to your hand upon taking them from the top of the draw pile.

When discarding a key card to trigger a prophecy, you do not draw the five cards of the deck, but reveal them instead, choose one to put in the discard pile, and rearrange the other four in the order you want.
You then draw a card.

If you discard a nightmare card, you then never drew it. Its effects are not resolved. This is actually a very efficient way of dealing with nightmares.
If you reveal two or more nightmares through a prophecy, you then can discard one, but will most probably draw one during your next four draws, and then you'll have to resolve it (or be lucky and get a door in the meantime).

Because you're not resolving the nightmare, you do not have to worry for your towers during a prophecy, and until you replenish your hand after reordering the four remaining cards and putting them back on the deck.

I hope that's clear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.