Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rat King
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borrowing tidbits from others who've posted here, I've got the beginnings of some new ideas for Xia. I'd like to get input, especially from the originators of the "explosive red cargo" - Derek Dyer (Calinor) and the "Tibana gas cargo" - Chad Andberg (Chadamis).

I know that for the most part, fan made sectors with Gas Giants have instant death borders, but what if Gas Giants could be approached?

They could become a new area for harvesting...Gases!

Type one, Industrial Gases, represented by yellow cubes. Pretty standard cargo worth 1000cr each.

Type two, Volatile Gases, represented by red cubes. Volatile Gases are used in the production of fuel and weapons.

Red cubes are potentially explosive. If a ship containing red cargo cubes suffers any damage, the red cubes convert to damage as well and are lost.

In addition, if a ship is in need of energy and has any red cargo cubes, those cubes can be converted into D4 energy on the fly but are lost as cargo.

With one potential draw back and one potential benefit, I don't believe there's any need for red cubes to sell for a different price than other cubes.

Some Gas Giants only offer yellow, with 1-10 being damage and 11-20 being a successful harvest. Some only offer red with 1-3 being instant death (volatile is far more dangerous) and 7-20 being a successful harvest.

Finally, Black Market Commodities, represented by black cubes can be bought only at outlaw locations where you can buy all cubes. They can be sold on any planet, but selling them on a Neutral or Lawful planet gives the seller a +1000cr bounty.

I also plan to include an IAV Dortmunder NPC that will approach ships, inspect them and attack any ship that has Black Market Commodities.

Any input on these is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forby
msg tools
I like the idea. Perhaps a set of "Kits" can be made to allow for safer harvesting. One for Gas Giants, one for asteroids, one for salvage ops.

The kit can alter the dice roll needed, make it less of a risk, or make it quicker.

I also thought that it would be interesting to have a "kit" that is basically a towed cargo pod. Some disadvantages: Your cargo pod is not incorporated in your shields and is far more vulnerable to attack. If attacked and destroyed, the cargo it carried is in space and can be picked up. But beware, sometimes you can carry a cargo pod and trap it with exploding cargo, so the attacker becomes the victim. (a secret option)

Some things about turns. Business phase after you pass. Choosing Missions, slow things down. So, maybe have all the missions "open" view and available. You need to bid on them, like when you get to a planet you can place a bid on the job from a message board, get the mission. This way the passing of the card can happen during the Business phase.

I also had thought of doing movement rolls and keeping the number outside of your turn. The theory is, a starship captain can pre-calculate the roll and how much energy and time it takes, then plan the route of his ship outside of the normal turn sequence.

Maybe have Energy Activation and usage cards where dice can be pre-rolled and placed on it. It is easy to get more dice and most of us gamers have tons. Then outside of the turn you can put out a card, decide and dedicate your resources and roll, all while someone is performing their actions.

I don't know what to do about the player vs player interaction. You have 2 things that make this: 1. Trading, 2. Attack/Defense. Maybe a swap of missions in flight. Like, I can't get to where I want but if someone wants to share half of my delivery fee to deliver these scientists, stop by my ship and pick them up (pass the card).

Now, I read an idea of planets having only certain quantities of cargo, I like this idea. But, I think that if you use this you would need for a system that allows you to have a surplus on a planet and buy for cheaper, like it generates 1 cube per 2 player turns and once it has 6 they become cheaper, Same thing with what they want. If they are sold a certain amount they become less willing to buy a surplus and price goes down. Like say, They "burn up" one cube every 3 turns, have storage for only 5 and once they have 3 their buying price goes down. Yes, this will mean that you may need more cubes and yes this will mean you will need to keep track by the planet and have counters. Oh, also, have asteroids and wreckage spots have a finite amount of cubes available so it is possible to "mine it out of resources". This can make trading quite a bit different and more modeling a living system.

I don't know if you would get a slow down in play. It would depend on how you keep track of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry, I meant to respond, even bookmarked, but I've been pretty busy the last couple of weeks.

I haven't made the sectors yet that I want to. At least 3 for Red Cubes.

1. A gas giant with a red border, but two edges will be safe and a harvest spot will be located.
2. A refinement facility that turns Red Cubes into Missile Ammo.
3. A planet that buys Red Cubes.

Quote:
Red cubes are potentially explosive. If a ship containing red cargo cubes suffers any damage, the red cubes convert to damage as well and are lost.
The way I do it is for each two points of damage, one Red Cube is removed and replaced with a damage. It's not a death sentence but it's certainly dangerous.

Quote:
In addition, if a ship is in need of energy and has any red cargo cubes, those cubes can be converted into D4 energy on the fly but are lost as cargo.
This is a fine idea, I would probably stick with "1 Cube=2 Energy". Four is probably too good, and Xia doesn't use a d4. I'm not saying you can't add it, but since the game doesn't use d4's or d10's it's best to avoid using them.

Quote:
Finally, Black Market Commodities, represented by black cubes can be bought only at outlaw locations where you can buy all cubes. They can be sold on any planet, but selling them on a Neutral or Lawful planet gives the seller a +1000cr bounty.
I forget what my original ideas where for Black Cubes. I may have posted some basic ideas, but I know I had a more developed outline in my notebook, somewhere. There's some good ideas here, I think I'd like tweak just a bit.

How about if they are sold on the buy/sell spots of the outlaw planets. Can be sold at Neutral planets normally, and for 2k at Lawful planets, but you get a bounty.

If you are the closest target and within range for the Enforcer to target, then you will gain a bounty and become the target of the Enforcer. If there is a closer Outlaw, he will simply target them and never scan you.

I'm fine with adding more NPCs too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Davud, The Xia expansion will address some of the ideas that you're posting here.

Quote:
Some things about turns. Business phase after you pass. Choosing Missions, slow things down. So, maybe have all the missions "open" view and available. You need to bid on them, like when you get to a planet you can place a bid on the job from a message board, get the mission. This way the passing of the card can happen during the Business phase.
The most common house rule is basically becoming the de facto rule to the game in the expansion rulebook. What you do is draw missions whenever you hit a mission spot, and set them to the side (yes this means if you hit 3 mission spots there's 9 cards). After you end your turn you have until the start of your next turn to look thru them and select which one(s) you want to keep (you can keep more if you have a Mission Computer).

Now that's not to say you can't look through them now and select one, especially if you have no idea what else to do with your time... but most of the time you should be waiting until your turn ends.
Quote:
Maybe have Energy Activation and usage cards where dice can be pre-rolled and placed on it. It is easy to get more dice and most of us gamers have tons. Then outside of the turn you can put out a card, decide and dedicate your resources and roll, all while someone is performing their actions.
This doesn't really speed up play, not by much anyway. However the worst part about it is that you're doing things while nobody's looking. That's the thing about boardgames, is that while you're doing things everybody is watching, and if you make a mistake (or attempt to cheat) it can be pointed out. It's certainly acceptable for you to not pay attention, but rarely is that the case. Even in a 3 player game the 2 non-active players are each paying about 45-60% attention, so the active player is pretty much watched at all times, especially during rolls and anything of import. Your idea would either turn this into a programming game, where nobody would be paying attention and then everybody would resolve their programming in order... or complete chaos.

The worst case scenario is where people are doing things when nobody is looking. Then nobody knows why they just rolled that die, and maybe they choose to set it on a "card" and now it has significance, or maybe they choose to look through their missions again. Then later they'll roll that die again and place it on the card. Nobody will be able to call them out rerolling the die, because it's not their turn (they have time to make up their mind about things when it's not their turn right?), and if you want to have programming you've got to be even more restrictive about how it works. It will completely change how the game works, but it's not going to speed it up any.

Anyway, I realized halfway through that last paragraph that all of this is completely off topic. This thread is for discussing "New Cargo ideas", if you want to talk about something else then you need to make a thread for that so that it can be discussed in its own space... and now I feel bad for my long response, which i'll leave, but I don't want to discuss it here further.

Quote:
Now, I read an idea of planets having only certain quantities of cargo, I like this idea.
The expansion will have an Economy Board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forby
msg tools
Can't wait for the expansion. Also, I noticed my typo. Name is David not Davud. Arg, damn typing errors. Fixed not. No worries.

The Economy board sounds fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.