5,558 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
35% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
There’s always a problem when it comes to GMT’s games and the Internet. Gifs and Jpeged samples simply do not do its final print art any justice.

This is especially the case when it comes to its maps. For though I’ve been intrigued by that for Falling Sky, in real life, opened up before me just now, it’s simply the most intimate, well-designed, and beautiful playing surface I’ve encountered in a game for quite some time. Its subtle textures are phenomenal and even in this close-up pic, they can’t be revealed in their full.

As you’d likely know, it’s not the regulation-size GMT 22" x 34", rather 17" x 22". And you wouldn’t want it any other way. It’s art and refined scope simply pull you within its confines to, dare I say, a truly god’s-eye sensation. You feel its strategic oomph immediately. Solo gamers note, everything is oriented towards you.

That aside, there was some talk over a first for the series in including Faction Mats as separate entities: these holding zones usually incorporated into the series’ maps in some way.

Well, let me assure you that despite some claims that they’re flimsier than expected, I find no fault in them whatsoever. They’re as thick as any traditional GMT Player Aid Card and require no special effort to protect them in any way.

Another great feature for the this game, is the inclusion of a full deck of 77 event cards rather than the watered-down 52 offered with the equally small-dimensioned map of the brilliant Cuba Libre. At 77 cards, the game engine parallels the longevity of Andean Abyss and A Distant Plain—it’s scenarios can incorporate some for a great sense of the unknown or all.

The Gallic front circa 54BC offers a remarkable playing arena, something I may touch on another day.

Given that and the physical components I’ve witnessed, those on the fence like I was, should definitely grab this game before it sells out; I’m certain it will before the year beckons farewell.

And I’m also reckoning one of the best solitaire and multiplayer experiences awaits inside. Errata is next to nil.

Happy gaming,
Adam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wilson
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At first I wasn't completely sold on this either, but now that I'm learning how to play as the Romans, I'm really starting to enjoy it. I think I'll play as the Arverni next, 'cause they look very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.