GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 121.97

7,321 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
46.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mb
My friends' boardgame experience ends at Monopoly, Risk, and 1 game of Catan. But they're receptive to try "geeky games".

I am more experienced at geeky games (I had LotR TMG), but I dislike fiddly pen-and-paper RPGs (I dislike AD&D). I recently splurged on a lot of Descent 2nd Ed stuff, with the assumptions that it's not fiddly.

I will probably have *all* of Descent 2nd Ed (I'm OCD), before we manage to gather to play our 1st-ever game (total 3 people). Should we play standard D2E with me as OL, or should we jump straight into RtL?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, the decision should really be based on whether your group will likely favor playing against you (because you're going to almost HAVE to be the OL, being more experienced in heavy games), or if they'll be more comfortable playing co-op. It's probably easier to teach if you're all playing by the same set of rules/objectives, so RtL might be your best bet from that perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
If you are worried about rules and learning don't start with RtL. It builds on and changes the base rules and assumes you have played the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mb
Yes, my main concern is which way is easier for us to all learn the game while giving a good first impression to hook non-geeks. I've read the manual and errata, ofc, but I haven't physically played the game yet.

Reading about the RtL, it seems that it's even easier to learn and set up than the base game, because OL cards/ travel/ plot/ rumor/ threat/ fortune all aren't involved, or are all automated? And the RtL 1st campaign sounds short?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say keep it simple for your first play session. Limit the material you will include as to not overwhelm your players. Make sure yhey understand whats going on. I think its best to have your players make the decision about rtl or standard. This will keep them involved in the game.

Stick with single quests for the time being. Let them try things ans allow them to make mistakes without being overly punishing. Also, when settlers of catan is the most complicated game they have played, prepare for the possibility that it might not be a success. Be patient with them and ease into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smithe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on single quests to start. After they're happy with that, whether you want to play with an overlord or not is up to you guys. Keep in mind that the app supports up to 4 players, normal game supports up to 5.

First Blood is a very simple tutorial for mechanics if you'd like to play that. I can also recommend certain single quests from the vault https://tools.fantasyflightgames.com/descent/home/5740/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mb
zaltyre wrote:
I agree on single quests to start. First Blood is a very simple tutorial for mechanics if you'd like to play that. I can also recommend certain single quests from the vault https://tools.fantasyflightgames.com/descent/home/5740/

Yes, now I'm thinking for the first night we'll just play First Blood and then a couple of fan-made quests. Once we're all comfortable with the basic rules, we can either do the core set campaign or try RtL. I'm thinking RtL, because I want to hero a bit too.

Please recommend a couple of fan-made quests to ease in an entire table of newbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
Mlai00 wrote:
(total 3 people). Should we play standard D2E with me as OL, or should we jump straight into RtL?

One of the factors is if you have a tablet with at least a ten inch screen. On smaller screens the text is hard to read which significantly slows the game down over squinting time.

Another factor is that Descent isn't well balanced when played with two heroes. They've tried to patch the problem by giving heroes an extra attack or health in the new rules but it's an obvious patch. RtL would make your group a three hero game which plays better.

The app does eliminate a lot of the OL cards/ travel/ plot/ rumor/ threat/ fortune stuff that you could be doing but you don't actually need to do most of that. If you don't use a lieutenant pack there's no plot/threat/fortune. Rumors are optional for the overlord and travel isn't for the single quests you're starting out on.

Playing the overlord has been made pretty simple in the second edition. Especially in single quests like you're talking about. You'd just have the starting OL deck. Draw a card for each hero to start, draw a card at the beginning of each round and when you knockout a hero. That's it.

At the end of the day the biggest factor is what experience you're looking for. RtL will have the feeling of a cooperative game against a set of rules. The standard game involves a single player competing against the group, some people really enjoy playing the OL and others really don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smithe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mlai00 wrote:
zaltyre wrote:
I agree on single quests to start. First Blood is a very simple tutorial for mechanics if you'd like to play that. I can also recommend certain single quests from the vault https://tools.fantasyflightgames.com/descent/home/5740/

Yes, now I'm thinking for the first night we'll just play First Blood and then a couple of fan-made quests. Once we're all comfortable with the basic rules, we can either do the core set campaign or try RtL. I'm thinking RtL, because I want to hero a bit too.

Please recommend a couple of fan-made quests to ease in an entire table of newbies.

If you're going to have all of the expansions, the easiest of my quests for new players (in terms of less complicated mechanics) are:

The Minotaur
Blackwing Swamp (Act 2 level)
Loose Ends

(To find the above quests, just go to https://tools.fantasyflightgames.com/descent/search/ and enter "zaltyre" in the author field)

I'm not so familiar with the work of others in the Vault, though there is an option to sort quests by the number of likes. You can read through quests and decide what you'd like to play. Fan-made quests are a little hit-and-miss because people have different writing styles (I'm a bit biased).

I also think that some of the quests in the campaign books are very good when played solo. The introduction for Shadow of Nerekhall is fun, as are "Without Mercy" and "Prey". Heirs of Blood is full of good quests. "The Dawnblade" is a good beginner Act 2 level quest from "The Shadow Rune".

Lair of the Wyrm, Trollfens, and Manor of Ravens also have several quests that are very good as standalones.

When setting up any quest as a standalone, remember to follow the rules for epic play (at your chosen level) for things like XP, shop cards, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.