4,660 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
29.4% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've all, at one time or another, looked at our online collections and thought, "Hang on, I gave that game away. Why is it still in my list?", or "Hmm, why didn't I add my pristine copy of Fische Fluppen Frikadellen to my collection."
Or maybe just me!?

Either way, tidied and correct game collection information benefits everyone and although I'm coming from am angle of better collection data = better trade offers, there's plenty of other good reasons for making a bit of time to go through your collections to update games which have come or gone, or expansions added, or games which are or no longer up for trade.

Although the International Collection Tidy Day is tongue in cheek, my hope is that it might focus at least a few of us to update and present truer pictures of what we own.

Some reasons to tidy:
- Insurance purposes. Accurate collection info may help in case of disasters striking and needing to recall what you owned
- Trades. By marking what you no longer want to play and others doing the same, this increases the likelihood of a trade deal being available
- Tidy desk (aka IKEA cabinet) = tidy mind!
- 3rd party collection websites and apps. Some of the great apps out there which help you choose games from your collection based on no of players, weight, etc, will be more accurate.
- Data lovers will garner more accurate pictures from updated information

I'm sure there are many more reasons but these are just a few.

In any case, there'll be at least one person resisting their collections - me - so this isn't a complete flop!

(Edit: update title from day to week!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Sun Aug 7th: International Collection Tidy Day
mrwendal wrote:
In any case, there'll be at least one person resisting their collections - me - so this isn't a complete flop!

Resistance is futile!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
Resistance is futile!

Whereas Resistance has few tiles.

*groan*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I started using BGG I have kept my collection constantly updated. I even starteed moving small expansions and promo's into the comment section because I felt they didn't belong in the proper list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I would do this on the Sunday of GenCon. While I'm at GenCon. Perhaps you should pick a day that isn't during a major con if you want to get other people involved .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Boop
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my husband's time would be better spent cleaning out the garage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
Since I started using BGG I have kept my collection constantly updated. I even starteed moving small expansions and promo's into the comment section because I felt they didn't belong in the proper list.

I agree that I don't like all my little expansions / promos in my main list, but I do like having them show as being in my collection when I go to the BGG page. Sometimes I forget whether or not I have a particular expansion, such as when I back a Kickstarter and a promo pack is included for free, then it shows up in the BGG store looking like a stand-alone thing.

Actually, Kickstarter is my main supplier of these little single-card, single-mini "items". Of my 400+ owned "games" on BGG, half are just 1 or 2 card packs, or add-on characters for games like Zombicide, The Agents, BattleCON, Arcadia Quest, etc.

I don't like just listing them in comments, because 1) there are so many so it would be hard to find things, and 2) they aren't private - my comments show up on the game's page, even if it's just notes to myself about the game.

I wouldn't want to put them in the "Want To...", "Preordered", or "Wishlist" categories, either, as I technically do own them, so what to do?

How do other folks handle this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I list them. Otherwise I will forget that I have them if I just put them in the description. I also may note on the main game's description that I have the expansions.

This is a great idea. I have committed the sin of buying a game I already owned, twice, and expansions as well! Granted, I have a huge collection but it is a great idea to go through your collection and get it straight on BGG.

Folks are right, though, having it during a major convention makes it tough for literally thousands of people to do it on that day -- so maybe make it International Collection Tidy Week? Especially when you come back from GenCon with all those new shiny purchases (or new to you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I update my collection weekly so no need to have a special day for me. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
I don't think I would do this on the Sunday of GenCon. While I'm at GenCon. Perhaps you should pick a day that isn't during a major con if you want to get other people involved .

Check Title edit. FTFY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Derwood
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers, Winter Game Fest, etc.
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
mrwendal wrote:
Some reasons to tidy:
- Insurance purposes. Accurate collection info may help in case of disasters striking and needing to recall what you owned

I'm sure there are many more reasons but these are just a few.

One more grisly reason to tidy.
I buy gamer estates. My last buy was from a tragic auto accident that killed the whole family except a teenage daughter. If your gaming collection is large and valuable, make a bit of an effort to add it to your estate planning. Some tips are in a blog I'm writing.
http://boardgamegeek.com/blog/5410/liquidating-gamer-estate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.