Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just seen on the back page of PSC Games Summer 2016 catalogue (inside their new release Victory or Death), amongst their future releases:
For King and Company - a remastering and upgrading of the old Martin Wallace classic, Struggle of Empires.

That means, I would think, plastic ships, soldiers, and forts. Wow! Instant buy if done right. Its my number one game.

The catalogue also has this:
Lincoln - an exciting and innovative American Civil War grand strategy game from the renowned MARTIN WALLACE giving a new, fresh approach to a popular subject.

Agog with interest (though it will have to be really good to beat A House Divided).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The name is no improvement but I can live with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The plastic ships, soldiers and forts is no improvement, and I cannot live with that.
gulp

Interested to know more about Lincoln though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Desiderata wrote:
The plastic ships, soldiers and forts is no improvement, and I cannot live with that.
gulp

I concur, give me pretty cardboard every time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, you have killed the small child inside then!! Mine is still alive and kicking.... I already use the 18th Century-looking pieces from Risk, but they have no ships.

They could redo the map graphics in such a way as to make the area relationships more obvious also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Yes, the map is a bit confusing, I have to re-read the part about the borders and the mediterranean every time we play.

Now, if PSC redoes 1630 something, clearing up all the loose ends and strengthening the historical aspects, I would accept a little bit of plastic, not a lot, just to be clear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not played 1630 Something, though looked at the PnP files for it. The Thirty Years' War as a period is a fascination for me (check out my username), but with sadly few decent games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Yeah, I noticed the username

I share with you the interest and the feeling, too; some games have surfaced in recent years, both strategic and tactics, then again I'm still waiting for the definitive 30 years war and sun king era game.

1630 is a good game but a bit rough on the edges, there is a shortage of cards that imbalances the game with 5-6 plyers and the secret objectives mechanics falls apart after a couple of turns, Struggle of Empires is a better and more mature product, still I like the XVII century more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its time, Carlo, that you and I bombarded Ed Beach with pleading, begging and flattering emails about the need for a completion to his estimable trilogy:
Here I Stand...
Virgin Queen...
and
"Putative 30 Years' War game"....

Possible suggestions for title:
The Winter King
Mother Courage
The House of Austria
Bohemian Tragedy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools

I had this conversation before on BG; alas mr. Beach is working on a video game project right now, our dream-game is over the hills and far away, I fear.

Besides, someone rightly pointed out that his games are more focused on a period than a war, albeit massive as the 30 year's one, so I modified my expectations, and now I'm begging mr. Beach about a twin set of games set in Europe during the years 1610-1660 and 1662-1715 (maybe titled "The Age of Louis XIV, first and second part?)

If I become a nuisance enough maybe he'll design the games, if only to shut me up whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Supper of Empires
Mantuanwar wrote:
"Putative 30 Years' War game"....

Possible suggestions for title:
The Winter King
Mother Courage
The House of Austria
Bohemian Tragedy
Given the proclivity for armies getting lost and invading allies simply to eat I suggest: "Can't get there from here"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they don't forget to rewrite the rulebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carlo M. wrote:

I had this conversation before on BG; alas mr. Beach is working on a video game project right now, our dream-game is over the hills and far away, I fear.

Besides, someone rightly pointed out that his games are more focused on a period than a war, albeit massive as the 30 year's one, so I modified my expectations, and now I'm begging mr. Beach about a twin set of games set in Europe during the years 1610-1660 and 1662-1715 (maybe titled "The Age of Louis XIV, first and second part?)

If I become a nuisance enough maybe he'll design the games, if only to shut me up whistle

Yeah, that "video game project" is Civilization VI. It's coming out 21 October.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools

I take note of the date, I'll start harassing him on 24 october, just to leave him some respite

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.