Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Scenario editor? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Fazakerley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be great if FFG included a scenario editor with the app. so fans could make their own scenarios. There were some great fan made scenarios for 1st ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Luis Rodriguez Mena
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it's not possible with this edition.
Maybe I'm wrong but...
Are you going to make a scenario to play it by yourself? Remember that it's fully coop. So no surprises.

How can you tell to the App all the stuff you've created?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
They gave the public the option to create their own scenarios for Descent; Mansions shouldn't be too different.

For these things, open a petition here and at FGG site, and once quite a few people have signed, forward the link of the petitions to the customer service; they might consider it eventually
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing I would do is convert all the 1E scenarios into the ap so I could finally play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Molina
United States
Blacksburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools

I was just thinking of something like that. What happens if the official scenarios are not very good or are broken in some way? Remember the 4th and 5th ones of the 1st edition? It took some reworking by fans to make them more interesting and fun to play. With everything on the app now, none of them can be tweaked now to fix any issues that may crop up. Also, there is the whole making new fan based scenarios too. Without access to the cards anymore, there's currently no way to do it; though I bet some may try to make facsimiles of the stuff on the app from the 1st edition card templates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
wissp wrote:

I was just thinking of something like that. What happens if the official scenarios are not very good or are broken in some way? Remember the 4th and 5th ones of the 1st edition? It took some reworking by fans to make them more interesting and fun to play. With everything on the app now, none of them can be tweaked now to fix any issues that may crop up. Also, there is the whole making new fan based scenarios too. Without access to the cards anymore, there's currently no way to do it; though I bet some may try to make facsimiles of the stuff on the app from the 1st edition card templates.

Possibly they learned from the mistakes of first edition and there won't be need to any custom made fixes to official scenarios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
wissp wrote:

It'll be far easier for FFG to do fixes in the app for scenario issues though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
I would love this, but I am not expecting it. From the RtL app there is a clear separation between the core programming and the data for campaigns/quests, which I assume will apply here (I'd be very surprised if they don't share the same code base).

So it certainly could be done... but there are a few issues:

1: Support. Currently the tools for making scenarios are internal. This means the they can be full of bugs, missing documentation and only work on one type of system. Releasing a tool in this state can do more harm than good and polishing it is a lot of work. Openning the code is one option, but that increases the problem with 2.

2: Control over IP. The first thing I imaging happening if these tools exist is for people to convert all existing D1E, D2E and MoM1E content over. This creates two problems:

- A) FFG can't do this themselves and charge for it.

- B) The volume of content available will be so large that charging for additional (new) content will be harder.

Now technically converting this content will be a breach of copyright and FFG could have it shut down, but then you will just annoy your fan base more than if you didn't release the tool in the first place.

3: Other IPs. Probably more relevant to D2E, given the large amount of content that can be used in quests, it wouldn't be hard to make content that is based in Warhammer, Lord of the Rings or other popular settings. This would create a problem for FFG as the content would violate other's copyright, so FFG would be hassled by the IP owners, and would again look bad if they shut this down.

So sadly I am not expecting this. I have thrown around the idea of trying to unofficially do this with the app, but I think it would be tricky to do well and keep up with the moving target. Creating an unofficial clone app would probably be a better method, but this itself is very likely to get shut down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
Scarlet Witch wrote:

Possibly they learned from the mistakes of first edition and there won't be need to any custom made fixes to official scenarios

I don't know that this is true, as they fixed the differing levels of quality between scenarios by removing the investigation options altogether. If I'm able to rework/create anything in the app later it'll be to re-add the ability to choose from more than one clue chain, so you don't know when you start a scenario how it's going to go. I'm still confused why they stunted the game so severely by removing them... unless it was just the rush to prepare for gencon or something. Yet we've seen no talk of adding that functionality back in, which doesn't bode well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
lovecraftgeek wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:

I don't know that this is true, as they fixed the differing levels of quality between scenarios by removing the investigation options altogether. If I'm able to rework/create anything in the app later it'll be to re-add the ability to choose from more than one clue chain, so you don't know when you start a scenario how it's going to go. I'm still confused why they stunted the game so severely by removing them... unless it was just the rush to prepare for gencon or something. Yet we've seen no talk of adding that functionality back in, which doesn't bode well.

Second Edition doesn't really use "clue chains" any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cymrusaint wrote:
It would be great if FFG included a scenario editor with the app. so fans could make their own scenarios. There were some great fan made scenarios for 1st ed.

Yes indeed. Closing the option of fan-made scenarios would be very sad. The best scenarii from the first edition were all fan-mades.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
amikezor wrote:
Yes indeed. Closing the option of fan-made scenarios would be very sad. The best scenarii from the first edition were all fan-mades.

cheers

I mean... would it really be all that hard to make fan-made scenarios without an app? "To explore the north door, turn to page 12". Each "Search" icon is just a paragraph of text. Don't read ahead.

You'd have to track monster damage, and we'd need a way to resolve combat like in the 1st edition. Also Mythos event cards, but again not terribly hard for people who've already been making new scenarios for 1st Ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.