Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
My local game store has a board game night with discounts on board games.

I bought some Imperial Assault and was told, 'We dont consider that a board game...no discount'.

Wakrob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did you ask what they consider it to be? A card game? A video game? A dice game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is a miniatures war game. They probably see it like warhammer and war machine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CptBlood wrote:
My local game store has a board game night with discounts on board games.

I bought some Imperial Assault and was told, 'We dont consider that a board game...no discount'.

Wakrob

I'm usually on the side of the FLGS, but in this case, I think the owner is being a tool. I bet if the MSRP was $39.99, it would have been considered a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a LGS behaves like shit, I don't need to buy there. If I was you I had left it there and told them 'sorry, I wanted to buy a board game' and order it online...

Edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Even FFG consider it a miniatures game, not a boardgame. Not sure what the problem is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
Even FFG consider it a miniatures game, not a boardgame. Not sure what the problem is.

Really? https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-imp...
Quote:

Imperial Assault is a strategy board game of tactical combat and missions for two to five players, offering two distinct games of battle and adventure in the Star Wars™ universe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:

well, it used to be correct. it seems they have changed the category by now. But I do definitely remember that it used to be listed under Miniatures Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
They still do. The Imperial Assault forum is still in the miniature subsection with x-wing, armada and dust. Not in the boardgame section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
They still do. The Imperial Assault forum is still in the miniature subsection with x-wing, armada and dust. Not in the boardgame section.

I had heard that was really due to Hasbro having the license for publishing Star Wars board games. So, they called IA a "miniatures" game to circumvent that. But, in reality it's a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
I had heard that was really due to Hasbro having the license for publishing Star Wars board games. So, they called IA a "miniatures" game to circumvent that. But, in reality it's a board game.

It is due to licensing. It is also why they don't sell it on their own webpage, or that any local game store can give big discounts (used to be a lot cheaper online at e.g. coolstuffinc). All of the same reason: the license. So the shop could not give the discount and gave the reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:

I have seen that the boxed Imperial Assault expansions appear under boardgames in the Upcoming section, while figure expansions appear under miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
DancingFool wrote:

It is due to licensing. It is also why they don't sell it on their own webpage, or that any local game store can give big discounts (used to be a lot cheaper online at e.g. coolstuffinc). All of the same reason: the license. So the shop could not give the discount and gave the reason.

I'n the store, he can sell it for any price he wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:

Also true. And he does, so I'm still not sure what this topic is about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They first announced it as a board game, and everything was under "board game". They quickly changed it to miniatures due to some licensing thing. They've always considered a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll jump into the peanut gallery:

- If this is a miniatures game, then FFG shouldn't have included cardboard tokens for figures not included

- Also, anything with actual spaces should not be considered a miniatures game. Otherwise every game w modeled tokens (monopoly) could be considered a miniatures game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
roborob wrote:

Also true. And he does, so I'm still not sure what this topic is about.

It's ok if you're not sure what this topic is about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you actually buy the Core Game or were picking up some of the figure expansions? The game itself is a boardgame, but maybe just the figure packs don't count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The licensing bit is true. I have a first-run copy of IA and it says "miniatures" game on the box. Obviously FFG was able to bargain for a better license from Disney after the fact, since Rebellion is obviously a board game.

Does the FLGS offer the board game discount for Descent? FFG calls that a board game.

Also Dust Tactics has spaces, but is generally considered a miniatures game because of its mechanics. It could be said that if a game has line-of-sight rules it's a miniatures game. It's just splitting hairs, imho, it's like listening to dance music experts debate over the differences in tech house and progressive house, or EDM and big room, etc etc.... It's a good thing for genre lines to be at least somewhat blurry, it opens up spaces for creativity and diversity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
swankidelic wrote:
The licensing bit is true. I have a first-run copy of IA and it says "miniatures" game on the box. Obviously FFG was able to bargain for a better license from Disney after the fact, since Rebellion is obviously a board game.

The agreement is with Hasbro, who currently has the license for Star Wars boardgames. FFG has the license for Star Wars miniatures games and card games. We don't know what the agreement contains, but we know it exists and Star Wars: Rebellion was possible because of that.

(LFL and Disney still have the final approval of SW products.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Right, as Rebellion has proven, the difference between FFG's interpretation of Board Games and Miniature games is mostly semantic, and it's purely for legal loopholes, and I don't think it necessarily should be used outside of that for categorizing their games.

I guess in this case your FLGS can define the game however he wants- though I certainly can't blame you if you feel kind of cheated and decide to take your business elsewhere. That's your right as a consumer, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.