Subject: So much red ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game arrived yesterday morning, along the solo expansion (I already had the Firefighter expansion waiting), and I started reading the rules.

And I was surprised at first at all the text displayed. I honestly had doubts on my capacity to grasp - and even worse - remember so many details ! (that would be the matter of another subject ^^')

I then realised that a lot of that text were examples and design notes. That's actually quite neat, if not amazing, because a whole lot of clarification's already adressed the moment you read about it.

But what would've been even better would be to include, at the end, on a few pages, the core-rules themselves, all alone ; because even though it's clearly summarized and organized, it remains a heavy reading wow

Am I the only one here on that ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eawyne wrote:
The game arrived yesterday morning, along the solo expansion (I already had the Firefighter expansion waiting), and I started reading the rules.

And I was surprised at first at all the text displayed. I honestly had doubts on my capacity to grasp - and even worse - remember so many details ! (that would be the matter of another subject ^^')

I then realised that a lot of that text were examples and design notes. That's actually quite neat, if not amazing, because a whole lot of clarification's already adressed the moment you read about it.

But what would've been even better would be to include, at the end, on a few pages, the core-rules themselves, all alone ; because even though it's clearly summarized and organized, it remains a heavy reading wow

Am I the only one here on that ?

I think you are... second to Combat Commander the rules are laid out pretty well. Just read the sections it tells you to, then play the related firefights, and then move to the next section. Don't try to absorb it all at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to see a couple reviews beforehand to my receiving the COH games. I followed their recommendation and I did not try to tackle the entire book for the games themselves but just stuck to how they had laid it out per firefight. I read the basics and played the first scenario, then added the rules section by section and firefight by firefight. Went pretty straightforward that way. Maybe tackle the firefight generater and solo expansion once your up to speed on the base game(s). Gets one playing a lot faster as well. I haven't tried the firefight generater or solo yet, but their on my list to get. Playing a lot of ATB and now just getting into Guadalcanal. SOS 2nd edition is looming on the horizon also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should've been a bit clearer in how the events unfolded ^^' I still haven't unwrapped the solo and firefighter expansions, I was only refering to the core manual.

I read it section by section, playing the introductory scenarios as and when suggested. I was just really pointing out how overweight the manual looked with all the examples and design notes, and that the basic rules and details were almost lost, despite the color-coding of the text...

It makes finding a tiny detail so much more dificult ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eawyne wrote:
I should've been a bit clearer in how the events unfolded ^^' I still haven't unwrapped the solo and firefighter expansions, I was only refering to the core manual.

I read it section by section, playing the introductory scenarios as and when suggested. I was just really pointing out how overweight the manual looked with all the examples and design notes, and that the basic rules and details were almost lost, despite the color-coding of the text...

It makes finding a tiny detail so much more dificult ninja

I see, there are the tabs on the side of the pages to at least get you in general area needed in the rule book, otherwise there are some cheat sheets and stuff in the files section of this game page, haven't tried them myself yet, so I don't know how good they are, but maybe that will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.