Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Teroux
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello to the community,

I couldn't find an answer to this question on the forums. I hope someone can help.

One of our investigators was Lost in Time and Space. As an encounter, he flipped the LiTaS condition and was prompted to spawn a gate and encounter that gate.

As the rules specify that when you spawn a gate you also spawn a monster - and if there is a monster on your space, you have to encounter that monster before anything else happens - does that mean he has to encounter the monster first before encountering the gate, or does he encounter the gate immediately?

Thanks for your time and help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow the instructions as written:
- spawn the gate (which means spawn a monster)
- encounter the gate (as instructed by LiTaS)

The rule that you must encounter any monster before you encounter a gate applies when an investigator is selecting what encounter to perform during the encounter phase. In this case, you have already done that - you are resolving the LiTaS encounter. Encountering the gate is just another step required to complete that encounter.

Pretty much the only case I can think of where the investigator would need to encounter the monster would be if you spawned a Ghast which has a spawn effect "When spawned an investigator on this space must immediately encounter it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Teroux
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the prompt reply, Richard. That makes sense. It's how I would have resolved it, but wanted some confirmation.
Thanks again for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Lost in Time and Space Condition card"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Teroux
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link! I guess I didn't search thoroughly enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Cullum
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricedwlit wrote:
Pretty much the only case I can think of where the investigator would need to encounter the monster would be if you spawned a Ghast which has a spawn effect "When spawned an investigator on this space must immediately encounter it".

I'd disagree that you would have to encounter it as you are not (yet) on that space as you are still LiTaS until you have encountered the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point - makes thematic sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.