$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 133.86

7,821 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Am I the only one, or are the rules really confusing, and feel incomplete?

When exploring with Ironbreaker's Into the Dark card, which tells me to draw 1 dungeon card, do I draw a dungeon card even if I'm already exploring another location?

When I'm told to exhaust an action, I take this doesn't mean I'm allowed to exhaust an action which has the recycle icon?

When I engage enemies, do I activate just one per hero per round, or every enemy one by one engaged or in the shadows face up/down until all are activated?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaffeli wrote:
Am I the only one, or are the rules really confusing, and feel incomplete?


You are not the only one who finds the rules confusing, but they aren't incomplete in these cases. In each case, looking up the section of the rules on the topic you're asking about would answer your question.

Quote:
When exploring with Ironbreaker's Into the Dark card, which tells me to draw 1 dungeon card, do I draw a dungeon card even if I'm already exploring another location?


Drawing a dungeon card has nothing at all to do with the location you're exploring. Look at "Dungeon Cards" in the rulebook, and "Locations" (two completely different things).

Quote:
When I'm told to exhaust an action, I take this doesn't mean I'm allowed to exhaust an action which has the recycle icon?


You can't use an effect to exhaust a card with the "prepare" icon. Look at "Exhausting Cards" in the rulebook ("The action card with the prepare icon only exhausts when chosen as the action card for a hero’s activation; other effects cannot exhaust this card.").

Quote:
When I engage enemies, do I activate just one per hero per round, or every enemy one by one engaged or in the shadows face up/down until all are activated?


It sounds like you are talking about the Enemy Phase. You don't engage enemies during the Enemy Phase, you activate them, which is different. Look at "Enemy Phase" in the rulebook ("[T]he party continues activating enemies until every readied enemy in each zone has activated.")
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Jaffeli"]Am I the only one, or are the rules really confusing, and feel incomplete?

When exploring with Ironbreaker's Into the Dark card, which tells me to draw 1 dungeon card, do I draw a dungeon card even if I'm already exploring another location?

Could it be you are confusing the small dungeon cards with the larger locations?


When I'm told to exhaust an action, I take this doesn't mean I'm allowed to exhaust an action which has the recycle icon?

Correct, you are not allowed to do that.

When I engage enemies, do I activate just one per hero per round, or every enemy one by one engaged or in the shadows face up/down until all are activated?

When you engage an enemy, you just "pull it to your zone." It doesn't activate. For every claw you roll an emey strikes (see rule book). In the enemy phase, all ready enemies activate, as described in the rulebook.

Hope this helps.
[\q]

Ninja'dninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I was indeed conflating dungeon and location cards. No wonder I didn't find any loot! Played correctly during Quest 1, incidentally...

So during enemy phase, each party member activates one enemy at a time. They take turns until every single enemy who is already engaged, and in the shadows face up or down has been activated? So if I have 2 face up enemies in the shadows and 3 face downs, all five get activated during enemy phase even in solo game playing two heroes?

I was totally wiped out in Quest 1 doing that, and in Quest 2 doing just one activation per hero I did much better. I might have played Odious Grump incorrectly though: I beat him in an earlier round, but when I reached the end of Peril Track I spawned him again. Reading other threads it looks like that I should take Odious Grump out of the campaign pool altogether when I beat him, even if the Peril Track or Defeat condition says to spawn/add him to the deck?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaffeli wrote:
So if I have 2 face up enemies in the shadows and 3 face downs, all five get activated during enemy phase even in solo game playing two heroes?


If they are all ready, yes. It is possible for some enemies to already be exhausted at the start of the Enemy Phase.

Quote:
I was totally wiped out in Quest 1 doing that, and in Quest 2 doing just one activation per hero I did much better.


The game is not easy.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaffeli wrote:
I was indeed conflating dungeon and location cards. No wonder I didn't find any loot! Played correctly during Quest 1, incidentally...

So during enemy phase, each party member activates one enemy at a time. They take turns until every single enemy who is already engaged, and in the shadows face up or down has been activated? So if I have 2 face up enemies in the shadows and 3 face downs, all five get activated during enemy phase even in solo game playing two heroes?

CORRECT.

I was totally wiped out in Quest 1 doing that, and in Quest 2 doing just one activation per hero I did much better. I might have played Odious Grump incorrectly though: I beat him in an earlier round, but when I reached the end of Peril Track I spawned him again. Reading other threads it looks like that I should take Odious Grump out of the campaign pool altogether when I beat him, even if the Peril Track or Defeat condition says to spawn/add him to the deck?


In quest 1, you cannot kill Odious, he flees. It's on the quest sheet. If you defeat Odious in a later quest, he's out of the pool.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
The game is not easy.


+ infinity to this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Webster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Tech & BoardGaming Nerd
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaffeli wrote:
I was totally wiped out in Quest 1 doing that, and in Quest 2 doing just one activation per hero I did much better. I might have played Odious Grump incorrectly though: I beat him in an earlier round, but when I reached the end of Peril Track I spawned him again. Reading other threads it looks like that I should take Odious Grump out of the campaign pool altogether when I beat him, even if the Peril Track or Defeat condition says to spawn/add him to the deck?

I'm confused as to why you would do better with just one activation per hero (per round). You are giving up two free actions every turn, which are pretty much essential when you don't have four heroes to attack/explore/aid and suck up the damage.

As for Odious Grump, he cannot be killed in Quest 1. If you do enough damage to defeat him he simply returns to the nemesis pool (retaining his nemesis ability) and will reappear at full health the next time you hit one of the designated peril actions. Even if he is still active, he re-activates when the peril track requires it and at full health. Also, he activates twice/round once you hit the red peril mark, which is absolutely deadly. The only way to win Quest 1 is to run out of his lair (the final location). Your primary goal should be to explore, moving to new locations as quickly as possible while hopefully gaining a decent piece of gear on the way.

In Quest 2, Odious Grump is added to the campaign pool, which means he is shuffled into the monster deck along with the other monsters. At this point he can be killed, and if he is he is permanently removed from the campaign. Note that he is still considered a nemesis and when he is active his nemesis effect will trigger on a nemesis die roll along with any other nemesis.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the answers! Should be all clear now.

I've no issue with the difficulty, was quite unclear on some of the rules.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaseyN60 wrote:
I'm confused as to why you would do better with just one activation per hero (per round).


I don't think you read what he wrote. He's talking about activating only one enemy per hero, in the Enemy Phase, rather than all of them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Webster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Tech & BoardGaming Nerd
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, David, I misread that. Thanks for the catch!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
CaseyN60 wrote:
As for Odious Grump, he cannot be killed in Quest 1. If you do enough damage to defeat him he simply returns to the nemesis pool (retaining his nemesis ability) and will reappear at full health the next time you hit one of the designated peril actions. Even if he is still active, he re-activates when the peril track requires it and at full health. Also, he activates twice/round once you hit the red peril mark, which is absolutely deadly. The only way to win Quest 1 is to run out of his lair (the final location). Your primary goal should be to explore, moving to new locations as quickly as possible while hopefully gaining a decent piece of gear on the way.

In Quest 2, Odious Grump is added to the campaign pool, which means he is shuffled into the monster deck along with the other monsters. At this point he can be killed, and if he is he is permanently removed from the campaign. Note that he is still considered a nemesis and when he is active his nemesis effect will trigger on a nemesis die roll along with any other nemesis.


Thanks for the thorough explanation on Mr Grump. I did play him correctly. And oh boy is Quest 1 a massacre when you hit the end of Peril Track!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.