• [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the brief description, it seems like you don't score points for the track you lay, and every ticket is worth the same amount (first to complete 6 tickets wins).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
n h

California
msg tools
Newbie Gamer
mbmbmbmb
the creepy guy on the cover makes me think there may be a co-op varient

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bowers
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the rules say you blind draw 2 train cards off the top of the deck instead of picking from face-up cards. I might change that as it seems to make this game 100% luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Topdecker577 wrote:
Also the rules say you blind draw 2 train cards off the top of the deck instead of picking from face-up cards. I might change that as it seems to make this game 100% luck.

Not quite, as you would still have to choose which routes to play on. But yeah, being restricted to blind draws would dramatically increase the randomness and reduced the decision-making.

The only gameplay-ish image here on BGG appears to show 4 face-up cards to choose from. Are the rules online anywhere? Did they change after that photo was released? Are there novice-mode/advanced-mode options?

EDIT: I just found the "official page" link, which includes downloadable rules. Sure enough, despite that photo which also appears in the rules on the official game page, there is no mention of drawing face-up cards. Seems like an obvious "advanced mode" variant to add, whether officially or as a houserule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having bought and played this it really is just a dumbed-down version of the base game. No point scoring at all, it's the first to complete six tickets or the person with the most completed tickets when someone places their last train car. You get two tickets at the beginning of the game and get a new blind draw each time you complete one. You also draw train cards randomly off the top of the deck. The only other way to score is to complete a route linking any city on the east coast to any city on the west coast. That gives you a coast-to-coast ticket that adds to your completed total.

The game absolutely accomplishes what it sets out to do. A six-year-old can easily grasp it. But it is a luckfest due to the ticket randomness and the blind draws from the train deck. The games we played have ended with someone late in the game completing a ticket and then getting lucky draws from the ticket deck with routes they've already completed, giving the other people at the table no chance at all. It is also possible to get some extremely crappy routes at the beginning of the game that make you lose so much tempo the only way to possibly catch up is to luck into some good ticket draws.

We bought another Target exclusive, Evolution: The Beginning as well, and the two games are night and day in terms of distilling the essential elements of their parents into something that remains incredibly fun. Of course, Evolution will be beyond what the average six-year-old can grasp, so it's an apples-to-oranges comparison. I was just hoping that something more clever than sheer luck would be used to slim down TTR so it would remain engaging for older kids and adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Riverol
Spain
La Laguna
Tenerife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've just read the comments and it seems to be crap. shake Deleting from wishlist until someone reviews it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoRiGo wrote:
Ok, I've just read the comments and it seems to be crap. shake Deleting from wishlist until someone reviews it.

For older kids and adults I agree that it is crap. But for a game intended for kids it beats the pants off of garbage like Candyland. They did a great job of scaling down the map, scaling up the train cars, and simplifying the goals so that young kids can easily learn it. It also plays in well under 30 minutes if everyone is paying attention, so at least it won't eat up an entire afternoon.

There also may be some house rules that could make it more interesting/strategic for everyone. Putting some face-up train cards out, making people draw a new ticket if one they draw is already completed, and/or letting people draw three tickets and choose one when receiving new ones come immediately to mind as potential "fixes." I understand why they didn't bake those into the rules, however, as little tweaks like that have the potential to dramatically increase the overall play time, fiddliness, and advantages for older kids and adults relative to younger kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played with my kids (9 and 6) and we enjoyed it. It was a close first game with all three of us having five completed tickets before my daughter earned her sixth.

I'm not 100% sure but it seems that the randomness is mitigated somewhat by a higher volume of wild cards; none of us had any trouble claiming routes fairly often (generally one or two turns of drawing cards resulted in a turn or two of claiming routes). There are a lot of one- and two-train routes, and the longest route (going by memory) is only four (or maybe five).

I also really like the language-independence for younger kids by marking each city with a big, easy to spot picture that (usually) relates to the city in some way (a baseball for Chicago, for example).

Overall we really enjoy this version. It's obviously not intended for a group of seasoned adult gamers, but it's still fun for a family session, and it really does a good job of putting younger players on an even footing with adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.