10 Posts

Arcadia Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Temple of Dawning Twilight and Soulforged, Lore Master rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. In the last scenario (#6, of the Nameless campaign) when a hero dies, her receives a Death Token, and draws a number of death curses per the amount of Death Tokens, including the one just received, discarding any he might have and keeping the highest among the new.

The Soulforged title reads as follows:
- If a player got the “Soulforged” Title by killing Lord Fang’s(the Nameless') Soul in the “Evershadow District” scenario, he does not receive the Death Curses that are given when a Hero dies.

Question: Does the hero still discard any Death Curses he currently has? i.e. from the previous scenario?

2. Lore Master title allows the player to choose and distribute 12 of the 14 exploration tokens, as he sees fit.

Does this happen before or after the player order and seating is chosen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
newsaidin wrote:
1. In the last scenario (#6, of the Nameless campaign) when a hero dies, her receives a Death Token, and draws a number of death curses per the amount of Death Tokens, including the one just received, discarding any he might have and keeping the highest among the new.

Question: Does the hero still discard any Death Curses he currently has? i.e. from the previous scenario?

Notice the bold part. You keep the highest one you have. If you don't draw any new ones, the one you have is still the highest you have. So you keep it.

You can still clear it with a healing potion.
newsaidin wrote:

2. Lore Master title allows the player to choose and distribute 12 of the 14 exploration tokens, as he sees fit.

Does this happen before or after the player order and seating is chosen?

Before. I don't have a book in front me, but check in the very start of the rule book the section about the steps of starting up a mission. It shows you what happens in each stage and the selection of starting players happens after it.

If nobody puts the proper quote here, I'll post it up later tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
newsaidin wrote:

Notice the bold part. You keep the highest one you have. If you don't draw any new ones, the one you have is still the highest you have. So you keep it.

The way it is written, and the way I understand it, is that you discard the curse then draw new ones, and keep the higher of the curses drawn.
I might be wrong, but if this is true, you can never get rid of a 7 cruse...

Also it seems to put the person with the title at a disadvantage if he begins with a bad curse, as he cannot get rid of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how having the title would be worse than not having it. I don't see anything saying to discard your current curse before drawing the additional ones, so somebody coming into the final scenario with the 7 curse will keep it unless they use a healing potion. To be honest, I often find the 7 curse to not be as bad as Amnesia (4) or Severe Nosebleed (5).

The exploration tokens (step 5 of setup) are placed before starting areas (step 11 of setup)are assigned.

Edit: I see the confusion. The rulebook states:

Quote:
When a Hero dies, he receives one Death token as usual. In addition, the Hero receives a number of Death Curse cards equal to the number of Death tokens that the character has (including the one just received). The player must keep the Death Curse card with the highest value. The Hero is still limited to one Death Curse card>

So, if a hero comes into the game with a curse and dies, he draws one death curse and compares it to what he currently has, keeping the higher. If he dies again, he draws two and compares all three of them, etc. You do not just compare the new death curses to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if I come in with a 4 (amnesia) curse, there is no way to be rid of it? seems to be worse for a Titled player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newsaidin wrote:
And if I come in with a 4 (amnesia) curse, there is no way to be rid of it? seems to be worse for a Titled player.

Coming into a scenario with Amnesia (depending on the character) might be the worst for a Titled player. However, that is the only time that you would have to worry about Amnesia. This is unlike every other (untitled) player that has a chance to draw it each time that they die in that scenario.

If your group plays anything like mine in the final scenario, there will be much player killing and lots of chances to draw Amnesia.

I think that there are only 2 or 3 Amnesia cards in the Death Curse deck, so your chances of having it and the title going into the final scenario are pretty low. The chances are probably just as good that you can grab a healing potion from the Exploration tokens close to you and be able to remove it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
bapenrose wrote:

The exploration tokens (step 5 of setup) are placed before starting areas (step 11 of setup)are assigned.

Interesting, we never noticed it. We always play that the player who has the ability to put the exploration tokens did it after deciding the starting areas. And we will continue doing that despite what the rules are saying. Otherwise the title is too weak compared with other titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bapenrose wrote:
newsaidin wrote:

Coming into a scenario with Amnesia (depending on the character) might be the worst for a Titled player. However, that is the only time that you would have to worry about Amnesia. This is unlike every other (untitled) player that has a chance to draw it each time that they die in that scenario.

If your group plays anything like mine in the final scenario, there will be much player killing and lots of chances to draw Amnesia.

I think that there are only 2 or 3 Amnesia cards in the Death Curse deck, so your chances of having it and the title going into the final scenario are pretty low. The chances are probably just as good that you can grab a healing potion from the Exploration tokens close to you and be able to remove it.

As it happens, I do have the title, and I do have Amnesia (on Heartless, 2nd time she's had it). That also means that there is one less amnesia card to go around for the others.

Oh, and another player is the Lore Master dealing out exploration tokens....

woe is me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newsaidin wrote:
GrandMasterFox wrote:
newsaidin wrote:

The way it is written, and the way I understand it, is that you discard the curse then draw new ones, and keep the higher of the curses drawn.

That's not correct from what's in my copy:
"- When a Hero dies, he receives one Death token as usual. In addition, the Hero receives a number of Death Curse cards equal to the number of Death tokens that the character has (including the one just received). The player must keep the Death Curse card with the highest value. The Hero is still limited to one Death Curse card."

It simply says the Hero must kee the card with the highest value. Nothing about discarding before drawing new ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
newsaidin wrote:
GrandMasterFox wrote:
newsaidin wrote:

That's not correct from what's in my copy:
"- When a Hero dies, he receives one Death token as usual. In addition, the Hero receives a number of Death Curse cards equal to the number of Death tokens that the character has (including the one just received). The player must keep the Death Curse card with the highest value. The Hero is still limited to one Death Curse card."

It simply says the Hero must kee the card with the highest value. Nothing about discarding before drawing new ones.

thank you - either misread or miswrote that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.