44.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Dean Rekich
United States
Lyndora
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I have played this about 6 times now and have never really gotten close to placing 8 or all 9 of our trading posts. Just a few hours ago we played a game where I had the character who can "teleport" between oases and it still did not get me to 8 or 9.

I think the most either of us have either placed is 6, but we usually place 4 or 5 . It seems to me (though I am probably wrong) that about the only way to place 8 or 9 would be to totally focus on traveling at the expense of almost ignoring contracts totally.

Is it very likely to be able to win with an all traveling or an all contract strategy? So I guess now I have *2* questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, this is kind of snowball game, so early lack of optimization will make things harder. However once you get enough experience it itsn't so hard. Looking my last 10 games its like (9 posts):

No
Yes, turn 4
No
Yes (Rubruk, so 11)
Yes
No
No
No
Yes
No

When I last did check it was 50/50 for me. All 4er games. I chatted with experinced 2er gamer and he said that he always goes for 9. I assume that like me at the end one sees, if some other option will give more points.

-----

Travel is harder at the start, but winning strategy when you learn to do it. In fact I see contracts merely enchancing travelling.

-----

"teleport" between oases character doesn't have power to put more posts to the table, he has power to put selected posts to the table. With him its hard to put all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that you can travel the 2nd time during a round using two black dice. It is something you should usually do at least once during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard, and in my opinion rarely worth trying - unless you have a character that supports it, like the Polo brothers or the mad teleporting monk. (Sorry, that's how he gets described in games I've been in.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the game only twice, but on the first play, that was the feeling also, that it was impossible. On the second play, this one 2p, I got the brothers and did put them all. That was at the expense of contracts and I did lose, but I wanted to see if I could.

So, it is possible, but I haven't seen how that wins you the game just yet. I also understand that I haven't fully grasped the game yet (I got black dice twice so far, and it seems like a big deal in the game). That intersts me, in that it is a game that reveals itself the more you play. Unfortunally, either you play with the same people, or you might become too good for new players, which ruins the game. But that is true to all games with a learning curve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the contrary. A lot of contracts give you extra movement steps as a reward. Getting those and fullfilling them is key for a heavy traveling strategy.

I usually place about 6 posts, but have placed 8 and 9 multiple times. My wife almost always manages to place 8 or 9, but that depends greatly if the cities she's visiting are worth it (getting to good cities and taking advantage of their actions can potentially give you more points than reaching your 4 objectives or placing all posts, we treat those as an extra bonus).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Heitzinger
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
It's hard until you get the right support to do it. You need a nearby large city to have an action that greatly supports it, and/or you need to scoop up the contracts that grant you 1 movement. Moving on your turn and then moving one space later (or vice versa) is two posts planted. Do that each turn and there you go, all posts placed. In addition, if you luck out and roll 3 dice with a 5-6, you can take the gold action at the bazaar letting you move one that way. This is the main advantage of playing as the character who sets his dice to whatever he wants.

With that said though, it's not something you should always go for, even if you have the support for it. All you really need to do is plop five houses, one in Beijing and one in each location for your hidden goal. Anywhere else has to have an awesome ability for you to get.

The only characters that must get the 15 points to win is marco polo and rubric (and a few guys from the expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't even need your objective cities. Or Beijing. It's quite possible to win ignoring them. Travel, yes, but to unlock extra advantages.

My most annoying game I made a simple slip on last turn and lost where I should have won. But it was the first game I played where travelling was the winning approach. So I'm not saying don't travel, just you don't have to do much.

And one interesting case that can work is take Kubla Khan, go south to the East Indies, and never move again. If there are good cards there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Yes its definitely very possible

I have played 8 times and clearly remembering myself placing all 9 (sometimes 11) at least thrice
So thats a very good possibility

But it really depends on the character used
I cant remember the name but the one that lets you place just passing by the location is possibly the easiest person to get all the trading posts out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rachelisapoopy nails it. With N&M Polo and Rubruk always plan to put all TPs to the table. With others, if there is bonus move city near, then plan to put all. Otherwise plan to put objectives + Beijing (at least). The only exception is, when you can use gold+camel->4VP city. Then of course play situation can change that. Usually to the direction of more TPs.

Dearlove decribes what I call intermediate strategies. They seem good after ~10 games, but at high level fail nearly always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riku Riekkinen wrote:
Rachelisapoopy nails it. With N&M Polo and Rubruk always plan to put all TPs to the table. With others, if there is bonus move city near, then plan to put all. Otherwise plan to put objectives + Beijing (at least). The only exception is, when you can use gold+camel->4VP city. Then of course play situation can change that. Usually to the direction of more TPs.

Dearlove decribes what I call intermediate strategies. They seem good after ~10 games, but at high level fail nearly always.

I'm sorry, I'm not buying your argument that it's always worth achieving your objectives and Beijing. Claimed "high level" play notwithstanding. If you assess the costs in dice, money and camels it's substantial. It's got to offer more than just the victory points on the cards and Beijing. And that really does depend on what's on offer in the cities. Those are definitely enough that some of them is a win, but not necessarily the full set. Of course neither am I saying don't do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
By high level play I mean high true skill rated Yucata (online implementation) games. Most players have about 50 online games and since this is this years Euromasters game, I assume more on board (I recognize successful tourney players).

I use "always plan" because the situation can call for other measures. However here is last 10 4er games:

Winner got to Beijing:
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Winner got all obejectives:
No
Yes
No
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

So the "always" is pretty close. Now if the "travel little" strtegy would be rarer, I might be more hesitant with my opinions. It is common enough for me to see it doesn't usually work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been looking why Beijing has been so common even in 4er games. Either winner has rushed there early, thus gaining quite big VPs. Or has done longer route (= got to the 9 TPs). Like Moscow-Anxi-Karakorum-Kashgar-LanZhou-Beijing-Karachi-Ormuz gets to 9 with fairly easy steps & is late in Beijing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gringe Commander
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Our winner is mostly the player with the most contracts.
Last game i moved a total of 2 cities to win. Alexandria to gain "pay 2 for a resource" then a small post for "gain 2 resources each turn". Since i was playing Berke Khan, I could easily get enough money to buy 6 resources per turn and a black dice. I ende with fullfilling 13 !! contracts and 37 points ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.