Subject: Downtime? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my game yesterday and I'm very impressed with the game components. I played my first game today, a three-player scrimmage game. It was pretty fun except for the downtime which seemed excessive. So much so, that I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Each coach gets three activations and each activation is up to two actions per athlete. So, in a three-player game that's twelve actions before it's my turn again, right?

It seems like the game would flow better if the coaches alternated activations or maybe each coach only takes two activations per round. I assume these ideas were tested though.

I know the turns will get faster as we get more familiar with the rules so I'm sure that would help, but right now, the downtime is killing this for me. This is a shame because I was really excited about this one.

What does everyone else think? I'm also interested in hearing from the designer on which activation options were tested and why this one was chosen.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevermind, found this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Kurt, glad you found that thread. If you do try out different options please add your findings to the discussion. Always looking for new options, and all opinions are welcome.

As for downtime, most coaches see significant improvement once they get a few games under their belt. There will be another learning curve when you switch over to Exhibition mode and start learning the abilities and play styles that each team offer. If you watch and read the many reviews on the game you will find that nearly all of them feel that the games are fast, furious, and kept their attention throughout. I have a friend who is severe attention deficit disorder. Slaughterball is one of the few games that can keep his focus.

Don't sweat the number of actions per onslaught token. More often than not coaches may only use one action. Moving an athlete adjacent to an opponent so they can interfere with a chop action will only use a single action that token. If that opponent is knocked down it will have to use it's move action just to stand up. If there is no athlete adjacent to chop when it stands then their second action is wasted. This is one of the primary reasons to knock your opponents flat. Not only do you score a point but you can force a decrease in actions and movement. If you manage to injure along the way, then you not only decrease actions but potential onslaughts that your opponent can use. The last two rounds are actually faster than the first two thanks to penalty and slaughterbox attrition. I've had a few games where I only had a single athlete left in the pit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear that your group is still having issues. If everyone is comfortable with the basics I would highly recommend switching over to Exhibition matches. It really does add to the overall enjoyment. Suddenly every athlete is not equal, every team will find a different road to victory, and strategies going in will need to be adjusted to tactical play utilizing the options given.

Make sure to let each coach thumb through the rulebook to read their athletes newfound abilities before the game. This will greatly help prevent downtime from having to stop continually to read. Once you switch to Exhibition you will never go back except for teaching new coaches.

Don't give up and don't get discouraged. Your initial excitement was justified. Slaughterball really is an outstanding game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.