Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gooHey all,

I'm currently working on an insert for Forbidden Stars and I thought I might take a moment to solicit input from the community. This will not be a licensed insert.

- Bobby

* edited spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dorcich
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make it fit sleeved cards and I'm interested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mitchnik
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not sure how feasible it would be but it would be awesome if there was removable four trays/boxes that contained all the cards/tokens/miniatures needed for each of the factions. Would makes setup an absolute breeze.

(Also please let it be able to fit sleeved cards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Sleeved cards - covered.

2. Faction boxes - covered. This was my original approach and it has worked out nicely. Sometimes these ideas don't pan out... I've never designed an integrated faction box for cards, tokens, and minis. I like it.

Pictures soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sham
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's exactly what a Cylon would say!
badge
All is dust...
mbmbmbmbmb
I built four basic boxes (sized to the four quadrants of the big box) to store the minis, order tokens and cards for each faction. You take a box, dump it out on the table and start playing...

All the shared game pieces ended up in a plastic organizer, and I had tons of room left over in the box.

I'd be interested to see a more professional take on this. Especially if you could store the ships + stands in a way that didn't have them piled all together... but also easy enough to build that it doesn't take a foam core savant to build it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For anybody interested in insert for painted minis, Battlefoam have already done a foam insert for Forbidden stars:

http://uk.battlefoam.com/forbidden-stars-foam-tray-kit/

- only good for protection of painted minis, due to hassle for setup/takedown
- Bit costly though, especially if shupping to UK (£36 + shipping).
- Probably better value for US buyers.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl T
msg tools
mb
I'm looking forward to this insert. It would be nice to have an insert that actually fits the box for Forbidden Stars.

The Battlefoam insert is terrible. One not all the components for, two it causes the box kid to rise substantially and three in offering a three star review on what they did right and what can be improved, Battlefoam refused to allow my review on their website to be displayed. It's obvious now they cherry pick their reviews and don't even take in customer feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl T
msg tools
mb
Can we get an ETA on the FS availability?

Thanks Bobby.

Karl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ranker wrote:
I'm looking forward to this insert. It would be nice to have an insert that actually fits the box for Forbidden Stars.

The Battlefoam insert is terrible. One not all the components for, two it causes the box kid to rise substantially and three in offering a three star review on what they did right and what can be improved, Battlefoam refused to allow my review on their website to be displayed. It's obvious now they cherry pick their reviews and don't even take in customer feedback.

Great, I've got this insert incoming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
matthewabair wrote:
Ranker wrote:

Great, I've got this insert incoming

Mine too!
Had to get it, since a friend is painting my minis.
I know about the slight lid rise, I can live with that.
But I'm hoping everything does fit, the pictures seem to indicate that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karl, it's basically done now. I need to do some final cleanup and then we are in the final stretch. I estimate it will be available within a couple of weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl T
msg tools
mb
The minis will all fit but you'll struggle with the dice and counters. Even taking them out of bags and attempting to cram them in, they don't all fit cleanly.

If you get it just to store the painted minis, I can understand. But if you're getting this to store everything neatly, I think you'll be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranker wrote:
Can we get an ETA on the FS availability?

Done! See below for some pictures of the completed storage solution for Forbidden Stars. Also, thanks for the input! You can learn more in the usual places.

Everything loaded into the box:

Top tray removed:

The four faction trays:

One faction tray with the token box removed:

Tile tray:

Minis and round tracker:

The two token trays stacked:

The two token trays opened:

Top tray closeup:

Minis tray closeup with etching:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Burbach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work! Do you know if Snydepels will sell this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Niddi77 wrote:

They should have stock soon. You might want to ensure they hold one for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can you get this insert?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heretic_dave wrote:
Where can you get this insert?
At go7's website, or since you are in Canada, BoardgameBliss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Burbach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone bought this insert? I've read that cards with FFG sleeves don't quite fit and sadly mine are sleeved with FFG WH40K-themed sleeves. Will they not fit at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dorcich
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Niddi77 wrote:
Has anyone bought this insert? I've read that cards with FFG sleeves don't quite fit and sadly mine are sleeved with FFG WH40K-themed sleeves. Will they not fit at all?

They do fit but it is tight and you cannot use all of the dividers provided. I see if i can take a picture of it tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Burbach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it as well, and my FFG sleeves were a little too big. The fit is such that the only way to get get cards in is to put a few in at a time at an angle and then wedge them in. I can (and did) wedge a single sleeved card in and then turn the insert upside down without it falling out.

I reported to Bobby and he said that he initially tested it and it was a little tight but worked, but after I brought my problem to his attention he tried with FFG sleeves from a different pack and they did not fit. His advice was to use UltraPro sleeves which I picked up and fit MUCH better. They have a much cleaner fit compared to the oversized FFG sleeves and they work very well in the insert.

Edit: BTW I was using clear FFG sleeves so I don't know if the ones with designs have a better fit or not. YMMV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested to see those pictures also - shame there's so little tolerance for the sleeves I've got the clear [grey packet] FFG ones as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a comparison between a sleeved card and a divider. Keep in mind that the dividers are pretty tight, and as the picture shows the sleeve is just a little longer. It may not seem like much, but it being longer means you cannot put the cards directly into the box; they have to be put in a few at a time at an angle.

It is worth mentioning that Bobby said he might try to modify the box design to fit the cards a little better, but I don't know if he was able to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow yeah there's not much in that to ruin the day eh. Shame as there's plenty of space left in the design for the 'naked' ninja cards.

That has to be irritating as the designer too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imotekh Stormlord
msg tools
Niddi77 wrote:

I got mine from Snydepels.dk and assembled it yesterday. I was a little bit reluctant considering the weight of the insert and I think it's maybe a little bit overdone with the separate counter insert box and card slots for each faction (all adding weight). However I considered other options (like this) and in the end decided that this insert was the best compromise.

It is really heavy, but it is also really neat. It seems like the designer really put some thought into making it easy to play. It definitely allows us to quickly start a new game instead of fiddling ½+h with counters and cards in bags and that time could instead be used playing the game, so that is worth a lot. o/

The assembly took 2-3h (I emphasized speed, not accuracy) and after allowing it to dry for 24h, it all fit's nicely in the box and the game box feels like a sturdy package that I can put in my backpack and not worry while biking to friends/family to play this great game. The assembly instructions were not designed for the parts I got (top tray was different), but I found an updated pdf at their site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.